• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the highest wind you will play a friendly/solo game in

Really I will play in any wind, it just won't be fun, lol. I expect to shoot really crappy, but you have to go out there and play in the wind so you know what to do in those situations. If I was just playing with friends all the time, I prob wouldnt bother playing when it's windy, but since I play in a league I do.

Imo there's NOTHING that teaches you to throw a disc flat better than a nice stiff 30-mph crosswind. Any angle at all and before you know it you're in the next ZIP code. I'll def play in the wind just for the fun factor. But like somebody posted earlier, if it's storming I'll stay home.

I've played in around 30mph, and I still find a way to have fun. Even when I throw with the edge up into the wind, and it takes it way off line, I still have a laugh and enjoy trying to figure out what I can do to combat the wind.

It's not combat when the wind's your friend. Next time, don't fight the wind - just ride it best you can. Really windy days are uncommon in my area, so I don't see a lot of it. I've quit a round due to wind before, but windy days are fun. If it's not raining, I'll play.

Best tip I got is keep it low throwing into the wind. Only show the bottom of your disc to the wind if you're going the wind's way.

Wind isn't always fun but it won't stop me from playing. Picking the right discs to use is alot of it. I really like throwing on the practice field on windy days to go for big distance.

We had 40 MPH winds tonight at league. It was brutal...your disc did whatever the wind wanted it to do. I would NOT have been on the course if it had not been league night.

I guess the wind has never stopped me yet. This morning when I went on my way home from work it was at least 20-25 mph steady, not sure what the gusts got up to. This was a solo round and I don't play in a league or anything, just for fun.

I played in a tourney with 35 mph gusts and saw a disc get blown out of someones hand when they were about ready to throw. And yes that was a stroke. Highest were 60 or so mph gusts in a doubles tourney. Yeah that was a little rough. Also a friend told me he played in really high winds and throw is disc and went about 100 feet and then got lifted by then wind and ended up about 200 feet behind him. I believe they called that one after the first round.

I played in the blow over winds in Fort Worth TX from the that last Galveston hurricane. That was insane. I had one disc actually fly back over my head for a negative 50 feet or more. It was really fun, knowing that it was unrealistic playing conditions.

I played in the blow over winds in Fort Worth TX from the that last Galveston hurricane. That was insane. I had one disc actually fly back over my head for a negative 50 feet or more. It was really fun, knowing that it was unrealistic playing conditions.

It's hilarious watching a disc go exactly the opposite way you intended it. I had a 20' putt get picked up by a gust and thrown directly back over my head about 60', and then it took me 3 more throws to get back into the basket...

It's kind of wild to watch a disc go up and down 10-15' in the wind currents and when it fades it carries 50' feet off target and when it lands it skips/tumbles/rolls another 50 feet.

Went out earlier today, windy.

Went out later/earlier today at a different course and went over a fence I have never noticed before.

20mph, 30+ gusts was the report, at least the three wooded holes weren't as bad

I'll play in just about anything. I just have to set some expectations when it is windy out there. Played with crazy wind in a tournament this past weekend and could use all the practice I could get in that kind of wind.

I had fun throwing drivers into the winds of Katrina. I could drive one way and have the disc stay pretty much flat but end up 100+ ft behind me. Probably not the smartest thing but Katrina seemed to just last forever and we got really bored.

I had fun throwing drivers into the winds of Katrina. I could drive one way and have the disc stay pretty much flat but end up 100+ ft behind me. Probably not the smartest thing but Katrina seemed to just last forever and we got really bored.

I wonder if i could find a spot to break the world record in the next hurricane.

There is no limit. Wind is fun. Although I did lose a Banshee to the wind today. Carried too far into the brush to find without a machete. That was my fault though.

As a mater of fact, we played Ultimate tonight with gusts up to 35mph. Disc was doing some whacky things but we still played two games.

I have played Sylmar when it is one of it's 'moods.' I'm no meteorologist so I can't tell you how fast it was, but fast enough that the gusts picked up enough dirt off the ground to sting our legs, and we would occasionally have to 'stop and brace.'

And I would do it again in a heartbeat. Makes you that much better.

About 15 years ago there was a tournament in Miami Fl. There was a hurricane in the area and the wind was gusting @ 75mph. The portable baskets were blowing over. People had shots hit the ground and roll hundreds of feet. Often they wouldn't roll but would flip flop and tumble . Discs would get blown OUT of the baskets. Truly insane !

Latest posts