• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What's your Go-To water hole disc for driving? Why?

If you are throwing a special disc for water carries, I assume it is because you are scared of losing your other discs. If that is the case, you have already convinced yourself that you will throw it in the water. Once you have convinced yourself of that, you have pretty much guaranteed yourself that you will end up in the drink.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
― Henry Ford

Case in point, this mornings round, hole 1 hit a nice drive but hit and rolled back into the water. Hole 2 was a nice roller that ended up in the water. Hole 3 was another good roller that ended up in the water. That would have been 3 lost discs in 3 holes so I will keep my floater for now. Still got my bogies on all 3 even with the penalty stroke and ended up the round only one over so I'll take it.

I carry one floater disk because a course I play at often has a basket on the side of a hill about 20 feet from a pond. I carry a lightning #3 hyzer for it. A disc I also find myself using elsewhere that doesn't involve water. For most over the water shots I just use backups of discs molds I would throw normally. That being said I don't throw any premium plastic over water, Just the base plastic molds that are cheap to replace. It is just that one hill where if it lands on a root and roles that I feel as if a floater is beneficial.

Also I don't have negative thoughts because I like the Dragon and throw it well. I don't throw it exclusively as my driver because I get a little more distance with my Mamba. I do have 2 fairly new Mambas lost in the water :(

The guy that helped design the course quit throwing here because of the water. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been in the water at some point. Even two young whipper snappers from out of state that had experience and game lost several discs in one round. I occasionally stay dry and had 2 sub par rounds when I did. The course is kind of like a bowl with a river running through it and everything runs that direction.

i throw whatever fits the line best, and if I lose it then I made a bad shot lol. I think I have thrown all most all of my discs over water..

This^^^ If you avoid throwing the discs you throw well, then the water is going to permanently be in your head.

Predicatblility and weighing shot percentages are important when dealing with water shots. I used to play a water hole that rewarded straight laser shots and hyzers, but punished turnovers and high shots. I went with a champ firebird because I always knew what I was going to get when I released it, regardless of weather conditions.

Whatever I would throw if the shot wasn't over water. I like knowing what the disc is going to do and being confident in my shot. I have backups for everything in my bag, if I lose it then I'll replace it.

This. I'll just add that if I'm going somewhere with a lot of water, I typically bring a dx version of my main discs. Rhyno, roc, teebird.

Case in point, this mornings round, hole 1 hit a nice drive but hit and rolled back into the water. Hole 2 was a nice roller that ended up in the water. Hole 3 was another good roller that ended up in the water. That would have been 3 lost discs in 3 holes so I will keep my floater for now. Still got my bogies on all 3 even with the penalty stroke and ended up the round only one over so I'll take it.

Also I don't have negative thoughts because I like the Dragon and throw it well. I don't throw it exclusively as my driver because I get a little more distance with my Mamba. I do have 2 fairly new Mambas lost in the water :(

But it went into the water 3 holes in a row. :confused:

lol I was confused by this as well. Would hate to see where the bad rollers end up.

The cheaper plastic version of the disc I would normally throw. I keep some x-outs in the bag for it. I have a U2 not quite sure if it's a floater in the Proline plastic.

I throw whatever disc I work normally throw if there wasn't water. It's a mindset thing for me. If I'm afraid of throwing in the water, then I will be more likely to throw it in the water. It's all about staying confident that you will hit your line.

Still a fairly new player, so Dragons for me for now. I have hyzer-flipped a Dragon over a 300ft water hole with a strong tail wind. As I build confidence and ability I will probably throw some cheaper DX stuff that I wouldn't be afraid of losing. When we first started playing, our group would play the entire course with just a Dragon disc. :)

The air over and around water tends to be less predictable (God! that sinking feeling where your disc hits a pocket of wind and takes off high and shoots right into the middle of the lake), so I tend to throw more stable discs on a hyzer if I can. The discs I've beaten in and would hate to lose don't fit that shot description (they're more understable), so they're not really an option. So, I usually go with newer, stable discs that can be replaced relatively easily and without emotional strife and/or a therapy session :).

I use an Elite-Z Crush. At first I bought it and threw it around/over water because I wasn't attached to it. After a few dunks and a hundred or so water carry shots I have come to the conclusion that I cannot lose that disc. I now have full confidence in shooting water holes with it. Confidence in your chosen water disc is very important.

DX Teebird. I'm confident in them, they fly great and they are $8. Win on all 3 counts.

Headwind or heavy side winds - Ti Force or TP Giant
Tailwind - Beat Destroyer or Cannon

Basically the same thing I would throw on non water holes..........

I'm playing a tournament tomorrow with 6 water holes, 4 of them are mean. There's no way I could have a "water disc" and use whenever I saw water. Ranging from 165' to 990' with a mando and a large pond to skirt around, usually into a stinging headwind. There's no way a Dragon or Wahoo is going to do me ANY good there.

The best water disc is a good disc that's right for the shot (that you have backups for)!