• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your most supremely disappointing course played that had big potential?

Speaking of ski hill courses in that general region, the Porcupine Mountains course is still disappointing to me. Forgive my laziness in quoting my own review, but "The entire region is absolutely beautiful, and this ski resort area is no exception. Yet, this disc golf course manages to have a front nine that is entirely unremarkable and a back nine where several holes feel like they aren't worth the trek up and down the hill."

Completely agree. I am glad that nobody was around to pay the $5 fee to because I would've felt robbed after my round was over.

Hole 12 at Porcupine Mountain is probably one of the worst designs I've ever seen with no realistic way to birdie or even get par on that hole. I'm sorry if the course designer is reading this but damn man.. PM me if you want help on resdesigning the layout cuz I could turn it from a 2.5 to a 2.75 if you let me ;)

Completely agree. I am glad that nobody was around to pay the $5 fee to because I would've felt robbed after my round was over.

Hole 12 at Porcupine Mountain is probably one of the worst designs I've ever seen with no realistic way to birdie or even get par on that hole. I'm sorry if the course designer is reading this but damn man.. PM me if you want help on resdesigning the layout cuz I could turn it from a 2.5 to a 2.75 if you let me ;)

Hol' up!

Hole 12 was the good hole. My wife got par. Maybe it's been cleared more since you played it.

Any redesign should shoot for at least a 4.0. If the maintenance is too much to allow for use of anything other than ski runs and roads, then don't bother with a redesign.

I'd have to go with Delaveaga on this one. Not that it's a bad course it's just that for years I had heard about this course as being one of the best in the nation/world and when I played it I was let down. I gave it a solid 4/5 stars, overall I think it is a very good course but not an amazing OMG type of course. No par 4 holes was shocking and the top of the world hole wasn't even close to being the best of that type I've played.

Hol' up!

Hole 12 was the good hole. My wife got par. Maybe it's been cleared more since you played it.

Any redesign should shoot for at least a 4.0. If the maintenance is too much to allow for use of anything other than ski runs and roads, then don't bother with a redesign.

I think the thing is, the basket isn't permanently placed so perhaps someone moved it from the original spot and put it in a really dumb spot. It didn't follow where uDisc said the basket was suppose to be so that was kind of suspect.

Theo Wirth in Mpls.

Sorry Steve West but that course could have been (should be) so much better. Just a mile and a half from my house and I've only played it once as I thought it was that bad. Disadvantage having to overlay on a ball golf course for sure. Maybe it has changed in the what 10 years since I've played it?

Old school DGers tell me tales of a course in the parkland along Theo Wirth Parkway just blocks from my house. Looks like I just missed the "good old days"

Brickyard was really solid when I played it years ago. I must've got there in it's prime, probably almost ten years ago now. I'll have to check it out next time I swing past there.

I played Brickyard last fall and it was in great shape. There was a dude out mowing hole 1 that I got to talk to. He was doing it out of his love of the course and was making a difference. I love that track!

When visiting Justin Trails and Veteran Hills checked out this course in West Salem,WI called Maple Grove Venues. An old ball golf course with baskets that is stunningly beautiful and maintained but with no tee pads or markers. DGCR map or UDisc maps were worthless. It seems as if someone had given up on the design. Huge potential though. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12593

Attachments

• 20220804_184955.jpg
    20220804_184955.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 16
Tamarack in Donnelly, ID. I enjoyed it, but a vast amount of terrain was not used: it coulda been a gold-level course. It is isolated though: the ski area being developed there is still years from ever being finished.

Shelton Springs, WA. How this course is rated #1 in WA is beyond me---flat, almost monoculture vegetation, and the fairways all bear a certain resemblance to each other.

Finally, the Selah courses, TX (R.I.P.) I enjoyed Lakeside but was underwhelmed by Creekside, at a time when they were ranked #s 2 and 7, respectively. I can think of at least 10 courses out of the 400 I've played that should have been ranked ahead of both of them.

Last edited:
Keyes Peak in Florence

White Cedar

the Porcupine Mountains course

Telemark Ski Resort course

Maple Grove Venues

So did ya'll have some secret meeting and scheme up this thread to talk about courses I haven't played. That I probably live closer to. Than all of of you. :mad:

;)

In all honesty, I drove up to Superior last year to play Mont Du Lac. That was the main goal, lo and behold it happened to be the week of "archery fest". I think that's what it was called. So now I still have to drive up there to play it.

I actually drove to Telemark around 2012 on a Highbridge trip. It looked like a ghost town and I couldn't find any semblence of a course. That was pre smart phone days though. I was literally in the parking lot (I think) though.

I was just up by Keyes Peak in July and skipped it so I'd for sure have time to play the Tailings. Played Florence DGC too. So no Keyes that time

Never even heard of Maple Grove Venues. Just wishlisted it.

Porcupine Mountain isn't in WI, so cut me some slack on that one.

It appears I need to step my game up in WI. :doh:

Cue Innova63 about Camden II in 3, 2,1...

Hol' up!

I think the thing is, the basket isn't permanently placed so perhaps someone moved it from the original spot and put it in a really dumb spot. It didn't follow where uDisc said the basket was suppose to be so that was kind of suspect.

It's been a couple of years now since I played it. Is that the one playing uphill in the woods?

I agree it's probably not worth redesigning unless they are willing to maintain it. If I'm recalling correctly, I read an article I couple months ago that said the state is hiring a new concessioner for that park which would oversee the disc golf course (among other amenities like the gift shop across the road, etc.). Maybe that will lead to some positive changes. :p

OK.....I'm just gonna say it. Flip City.

Terrific course, just not that challenging. A testimony to the love of the game and one of the coolest vibes around. Poor tee pads. Costly (feel obligated to slip Bill a twenty every time). There are just a lot of courses that offer similar beauty, but offer far better amenities and challenge.

*flees and shelters*

OK.....I'm just gonna say it. Flip City.

Terrific course, just not that challenging. A testimony to the love of the game and one of the coolest vibes around. Poor tee pads. Costly (feel obligated to slip Bill a twenty every time). There are just a lot of courses that offer similar beauty, but offer far better amenities and challenge.

*flees and shelters*

All right. Now that someone else has said it first, I will agree. It's a great course to play, but I've played better and will no longer go out of my way to play it. If I'm nearby, sure. I'm down.

Hey ru. Got room in your bunker for one more?

Delwood (only because I saw the original design that wasn't approved by the park district). It's a good course, but it could have been better.

Theo Wirth in Mpls.

Sorry Steve West but that course could have been (should be) so much better. Just a mile and a half from my house and I've only played it once as I thought it was that bad. Disadvantage having to overlay on a ball golf course for sure. Maybe it has changed in the what 10 years since I've played it?

Old school DGers tell me tales of a course in the parkland along Theo Wirth Parkway just blocks from my house. Looks like I just missed the "good old days"

I first tried to play that old Wirth course the day after the baskets got pulled. I could still see the fresh wounds in the ground.

Legend has it the Mayor made the decision after being yelled at to "Get the F out of the way!" by a player who wanted to tee off while she was showing the new course to other VIPs.

It's not surprising that many players would arrive at a new pay-to-play on a golf course and be disappointed. They would expect something huge, but the directive was to make that course really beginner friendly so the demeanor of the disc golfers would match that of the golfers.

Wirth Par 3 was the course that the Ladies in their Eighties league played, where people took their kids for the first round of golf - that kind of thing. No one who could hit the ball all the way off the teeing area every time would be caught dead there.

So, MPRB specifically wanted to discourage hard-driving competitive players (read young men) from playing the disc golf course. I guess to prevent a repeat of The Incident.

Maintenance was also an issue. That's why the mound behind hole 1 is not in play, nor the whole hillside above hole 15. Every single square inch of woods around the course is riddled with bike paths.

The course has changed over the years. Now, with golf getting big again because of COVID, you can find regular golfers playing the Par 3 course just because everywhere else is full. All the ash trees were removed (several hundred from both Wirth and Fort Snelling). The cross-country ski/mountain bike cartel annexed some of the Wirth course, but golf hole 9 was opened up to disc golf play (for both Wirth and Fort).

Wirth's main advantages are lack of nasty plants, no mud, exclusive access, and fewer discouraging tree hits than most of the other courses in the area. A good place to introduce people to disc golf without slamming them with the more unpleasant aspects. Plus, you can tee off from anywhere you want.

I think there are locals working on getting some improvements soon.

My biggest disappointment was easily Winthrop University for (likely) obvious reasons.

Sunset Lakes in Sunset Hills, MO. was advertised as a soon to be championship caliber course on an old golf course-turned park. 2 years later, and there's still no signage, permanent tees, or consistent upkeep. And there were hardly any obstacles other than some water hazards to begin with.

There's a little more to this story... Hoping to get a lot of work done out there this winter. Come on out and help if you're around.

There's a little more to this story... Hoping to get a lot of work done out there this winter. Come on out and help if you're around.

I'll keep an eye out on the local pages for work days. I figured parts of the situation are out of the club's control.

East Carolina University, looking at the very few tees to fairway photo's it looked like a very well-manicured course with lush green fairways lined with pine trees with pine needles rough, very eye appealing and it was on my visit. I was looking forward to playing the course, and prior to my visit I was thinking maybe a 4.0 and a possible course favorite. What I didn't know that from holes 1 thru 17 it was wash, rinse, repeat, tee down wide tree lined fairway, tucked in basket, repeat. Except for a few settle differences the holes looked alike. Looking back a year later I only remember an artificial roller green, an artificial elevated tee, sand around the 12th basket, and the 19th open tee to basket. It felt more like a pleasant walk in the park, than playing a disc course. Still a good time, fun skip bounces especially in the pine needles, hit very few trees, and fun. I rated it a 3.5