• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

when to up stabliilty?

jspector

Hi all,
as a fairly new player to the game I went out and got mostly understable lightweight discs (a discraft glide,comet and meteor). After playing for around 6 months I can throw much better than when I started and I'm starting to notice that a lot of my shots turn left and don't come back ( I'm a lefty). A few of the local "pros" have told me that it is time to throw more stable discs. Just wondering if that is true and or disc suggestions? I also love to throw my leopard. Most of my discs are between 165-169g. Any ideas? It can be frustrating because they used to turn over and come back right but not so much anymore. I throw lefthand backhand ....?

post your bag in the bag feedback forum and please read the sticky at the top of the page before you do so. you may need slightly more stable discs or possibly heavier versions of the ones you already have.

You've been playing for about 6 months and you're starting to turn everything over. Yep that sounds about right. It tells me that your form and power are getting better. It may well be time to choose more big boy discs.

Hi all,
as a fairly new player to the game I went out and got mostly understable lightweight discs (a discraft glide,comet and meteor). After playing for around 6 months I can throw much better than when I started and I'm starting to notice that a lot of my shots turn left and don't come back ( I'm a lefty). A few of the local "pros" have told me that it is time to throw more stable discs. Just wondering if that is true and or disc suggestions? I also love to throw my leopard. Most of my discs are between 165-169g. Any ideas? It can be frustrating because they used to turn over and come back right but not so much anymore. I throw lefthand backhand ....?

Let me say it like this, if I thought throwing a 150 Roadrunner would get me the best results, I would throw it.

That said, when your shots turn left and does not come back, you need to A add weight, and/or B add stability.

Some on the forum can maybe help you more, I can only say I have a 150 Leopard that turns over when I just look at it the wrong way, and I have a 175 Leopard that I can 'almost' throw full power and not turn over. There is so much to knowing your disc.

For the most part you need to throw stable stuff (ie: teebird for you) in most windy conditions (except a left to right wind for your lefty throws), and on most down hill shots (as long as you are controlling your nose angle).

I would suggest throwing in a mid 160s or high 160s star teebird, or z stalker for drives.

And for mids throw in a low 170s rancho roc in DX or KC, high 160s z wasp, heavy z buzzz, or a heavier opto core

The Buzzz flies great. You might want to put some hyzer into those discs you have too, see what kinda range you can get.

It could be that u need to up weights on the discs u have and get more stable ones...or..it's OAT. U say ur turning all ur discs over and theyre not coming back. I have a 167g X Comet and I can get it out to about 240-250 and usually not flip it over. So Im gonna go with uve got OAT on ur throws more than u just need more overstable plastic.

Following up on what atvan said, a touch of hyzer might not hurt until you can get some "big boy" discs.

Did you get them all in base plastic? It may be that they are just getting beat up and new ones may fly straighter. When I started, I got all dx discs and they were all turning over after a few months because they got beat on my wooded courses (even my wraith when only throwing it 200'). I didn't understand it until I got a few new discs and read more on this site and DGR.

You'll also need more medium overstable discs for wind and stronger finishes / resistance to flip / forehand

Just some suggestions cuz not many so far:

Medium stable drivers (Over a 1.0 Discraft rating): Stalker, Z XL, Z XS (surprisingly OS), Z / ESP Surge, Z / ESP Surge SS, Avenger, ------- Z Flick / Z Nuke for forehand, Domey X Nuke for bombs.

Midranges: Wasp, Zone (great for 100 foot or less getting around trees/ skip shots, (Drone is way too overstable i think)

Innova Drivers: Champ Beast, Pro Wraith

Unless you're constantly playing in heavy wind, try working with the Hyzer flip (throwing with hyzer so the disc levels out and flies straight as opposed to turning over). It's a more advanced throw but if you can master it you won't really ever need stable/overstable discs and will have more control than most people (like myself) that thought that you needed a different disc for every type of shot when they first started out. If you find the hyzer flip to be more of a pain than it's worth, try a teebird like aarikc17 said, or maybe a Banshee if you'd like to try something truly different.

You'll also need more medium overstable discs for wind and stronger finishes / resistance to flip / forehand

Just some suggestions cuz not many so far:

Medium stable drivers (Over a 1.0 Discraft rating): Stalker, Z XL, Z XS (surprisingly OS), Z / ESP Surge, Z / ESP Surge SS, Avenger, ------- Z Flick / Z Nuke for forehand, Domey X Nuke for bombs.

Midranges: Wasp, Zone (great for 100 foot or less getting around trees/ skip shots, (Drone is way too overstable i think)

Innova Drivers: Champ Beast, Pro Wraith
Don't listen to any of this. All of these discs are way too stable for somebody with your skill level and will only harm your progress. At your skill level, a heavy Z Buzzz would be fine for moderate winds.

Hi all,

How far do you throw those discs and what kind of plastic are they?

Latest posts