• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which company will be gone by 2014

Which will be out of business by end of 2014

• Innova

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Discraft

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • MVP

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Vibram

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Dynamic disc

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Westside

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Lightning

Votes: 139 55.8%
  • Gateway

Votes: 31 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 91 36.5%

• Total voters
What about Innova cutting out the Discmania division? I don't get out and play that often but when I do I hardly see a disc from them. I have a chaos driver, but other than that no one I've spoken to expresses an interest in them.

I see a lot of P2 psychos around these parts. But that's it.

The PD alone will keep discmania alive for 5 years with out innova. I use the S-FD religiously...really I wear it around my neck and pray that I will not hit a tree. I also use the Maniac.

I did not pick ABC because of any issues with Dan Pastore. I have never heard a negative word about him. I just think they are overwhelmed with the other options. They have a great line up, but I have something just a little better in every spot.
I do not see ABC advertise much and also hype goes a long way. When is the last time you saw 13 threads about ABC in the same month. They need a Hype man :)

ABC discs is only a short drive away from me. Though I do not se mention of them in forums much, around here locally you see their discs alot even in the local pro bags.
I think the reason you dont see much hype is because Dan is not a drama starter, which admittedly seems to be the key to advertising to disc golfers on the forums.
Seriously, if you haven't tried ABC discs at all you should.

I annoy people all the time in casual rounds to throw my Flying Squirrel when a turnover is the best option, and their disc hyzered out early. They usually wind up parked.

That disc is amazing. You can rip them dead straight super far. and they pull off some crazy anhyzer shots. I would put it above the comet personally.

Availability seems to be a problem for ABC.
I've never seen anyone on the course with one of their discs and the only ones I have ever seen in person were at a gas station in Kentucky.

That disc is amazing. You can rip them dead straight super far. and they pull off some crazy anhyzer shots. I would put it above the comet personally.

I pulled Comets from my bag for it actually. Like you said, they'll fly far straight with no effort and hold a turn like a dream. I can turn them over much easier than Comets. They don't suffer from the same low speed overstability that the Meteor does (haven't thrown a Fuse), and the Gold (Champ-style) plastic is amazing. I really can't say enough good about them.

I've seen them hold a turn from 150' (before I started throwing putters for more than putting) to 375' personally. That 375' turnover floored me. I just wish I had been the one to throw it.

I sincerely hope that for the sake of the team members that they make it, but Prodigy has a long, uphill climb. I don't know their business model and surely they have one, but a company can only survive on hype alone for so long. The plastic does feel great, but they have to start making discs that the general DG public (not just forum hounds and plastic collectors) will buy in numbers sufficient to keep them going. Hopefully they'll survive long enough to fill out their product line but it will take more than a couple of drivers, mids and putters to keep them in business for any length of time.

Is it just me or did anyone else find it strange that they announced this big, all star team before they even had any product to sell, much less move enough of it to make any profit. It's great that they were able to recruit all these "big names" to their team before they even had a product launch, but honestly all those names mean squat to new and recreational players and I think that's the market they need to tap as a new company to be successful. Sure, diehard DG fans and forum members might know who they are, but 90% of people that play this game wouldn't recognize Paul McBeth if he was standing in the checkout line next to them and he's the current world champ, much less any prodigy team member or any of the top 10 players in the world for that matter. Having a top flight team might be good for marketing a product line, if they had one, but right now they need products to market.

My point is that in order to keep this all star team together and make it long term, they've got to start selling product and fast. They simply can't survive for very long by dribbling out just enough product for enthusiasts and collectors to snatch up and not reach the casual/new player market. You didn't see a Team Legacy announcement of world champs and rising stars before they even sold a disc and I think that they stand a better chance of sticking around than Prodigy because of it. Prodigy really put the cart before the horse.... I just hope that they planned for it and can stick around long enough for the horse to catch up.

I sincerely hope that for the sake of the team members that they make it, but Prodigy has a long, uphill climb. I don't know their business model and surely they have one, but a company can only survive on hype alone for so long. The plastic does feel great, but they have to start making discs that the general DG public (not just forum hounds and plastic collectors) will buy in numbers sufficient to keep them going. Hopefully they'll survive long enough to fill out their product line but it will take more than a couple of drivers, mids and putters to keep them in business for any length of time.

Is it just me or did anyone else find it strange that they announced this big, all star team before they even had any product to sell, much less move enough of it to make any profit. It's great that they were able to recruit all these "big names" to their team before they even had a product launch, but honestly all those names mean squat to new and recreational players and I think that's the market they need to tap as a new company to be successful. Sure, diehard DG fans and forum members might know who they are, but 90% of people that play this game wouldn't recognize Paul McBeth if he was standing in the checkout line next to them and he's the current world champ, much less any prodigy team member or any of the top 10 players in the world for that matter. Having a top flight team might be good for marketing a product line, if they had one, but right now they need products to market.

My point is that in order to keep this all star team together and make it long term, they've got to start selling product and fast. They simply can't survive for very long by dribbling out just enough product for enthusiasts and collectors to snatch up and not reach the casual/new player market. You didn't see a Team Legacy announcement of world champs and rising stars before they even sold a disc and I think that they stand a better chance of sticking around than Prodigy because of it. Prodigy really put the cart before the horse.... I just hope that they planned for it and can stick around long enough for the horse to catch up.

The other major problem they face is that all the hype has been about the team and not the products themselves.

Prodigy is a disc golf team that manufactures their own discs rather than a disc manufacturer with its own team of pros.

I sincerely hope that for the sake of the team members that they make it, but Prodigy has a long, uphill climb. I don't know their business model and surely they have one, but a company can only survive on hype alone for so long.

I was hoping to check out one of their mids and the guy at the local shop said Prodigy pre-makes packs of 25 that you have to order. So if they wanted to get some D1's, D4's and some mids it would have to be 25 of each, not 10, 10 and 5. A small store doesn't really have the space to commit to 25 of one mid, 25 of another, etc.

To me, it sounds like they would rather sell to big box stores and not the small shops. Doesn't sound too dealer friendly to me. Maybe I misunderstood.

Zam, can you clarify?

To me, it sounds like they would rather sell to big box stores and not the small shops. Doesn't sound too dealer friendly to me. Maybe I misunderstood.

Zam, can you clarify?
Dealers are still limited to 50 per model... which for a big retailer is barely enough to sneeze at. We finally listed our first Prodigy offerings on Friday because of that low per-dealer quantity available.

I haven't heard about problems of smaller dealers, but if that's an issue we're also wholesaling Prodigy via DiscGolfWholesale.com which doesn't have a per-model or per-brand minimum, just a master order minimum of $250.

Maybe their model dictates that their Team and getting the minimum 500 per mold in circulation are their prime focus. If so, great work.

ABC is gaining some popularity with their recent Beeline release . . . I believe they were available at the Memorial (not sure if it was in the players pack or just available for sale).

To me, it sounds like they would rather sell to big box stores and not the small shops.

I've gotten the opposite impression. My local brick-and-mortar store had the D1 and D4 in stock before anyone else I'm aware of, and they have a bunch of the drivers and mids on the shelf now. I also got a business card handed to me on a local course the other day by a guy who says he's selling the Prodigy discs.