• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who here throws with a straight arm?

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *
Like Feldberg?

I mess with it all the time and it's like a hyzer canon. It's all over the place, which is the reason I use a bent arm for golf shots - but I feel like the disc is deforming in my hand during the hit with a straight arm, with a tiny little hop / pump the disc.

I think the perfect timing that Dave has, coupled with how much leverage you can get on the disc is the main reason he's able to keep up with most of the top card guys.

I can feel the disc warping more from the increased leverage. I feel like I can throw real straight and faster with it on hyzer, but also have a tendency to hook it. Dave is probably throwing real stiff plastics and he likes more over-stable molds probably because of the increased speed vs spin.

I drive, approach and putt with a bent elbow. It work for me, not sure if I would see any gain by throwing with a straight arm. He seems to be eliminating the use of half the muscles in his upper body by doing this.

Isn't that what they call "Swedish style"? I think I do this more than I should for a couple reasons. I've had elbow problems and this style seems to take some of the pressure off of my elbow. Also, like many men my age, I'm carrying a few extra pounds around the middle and lack the flexibility that I once had. It's easier to get leverage this way than to do a proper reach back and upper body turn. The upside is that I can generate a lot of power throwing this way. The downside is that most of my drives come out on a hyzer angle. I think disc selection is even more important if you throw this way.

P.S. My arm is not totally straight, just more than is probably good.

Last edited:
I have a little bit of the feldy straight arm going on. Honestly my swing is such a mess that I couldn't tell you a realist advantage or disadvantage, as I'm in the rebuilding process. Maybe in a few months I could offer some actual insight.

Seems like the swedish style wouldn't be great for wooded golf. No evidence to back that up but I feel like I can get a better/straighter line using the bent elbow.

Are the mechanics of the Swedish any different from the wide rail or hammer pound other than keeping the elbow fairly straight? Do the shoulders need to open earlier to help pull the arm around or anything else like that?

After reading all that, it seems like the difference between these is where the the majority of the effort is applied, and consequently, how much spin vs. speed is put into the disc. The Swedish looks like it has more power going into the throw early, has the highest speed, but the lowest spin of the 3 styles. The Hammer pound, or whip as they describe it in that thread, has almost all the effort happening right at the end of the throw, and gives the disc much more spin, but not as much speed. The Wide Rail looks like its in between the two.

Looking at mechanics of other things- the Swedish looks like a catapult, Wide rail looks like a trebuchet, and hammer pound looks like a whip cracking.

Could be wrong, these are my observations.

I read through that and I still don't get it. Although, I don't understand most of the stuff in the technique forums. I can't even tell you what my style is.

yeah, I went there once too-- http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100594

and honestly still isn't real clear to me as a lot of mixing of techniques and "styles" seem to be a factor given the exact player.

I think of the Swedish style like a hockey slap-shot and "American" or whatever as a tennis backhand.

My $.02 is that the main difference is that it feels much less like a hammer pound, and more like "hold onto the disc for a short / huge hit".

Check out where dave's hand is on the disc vs. a bent arm:

hitZoneStart.JPG

He's close to 3:00 when they're at 12:00

hitZone2.JPG

He's also substantially lower with the disc.

IFCZwZl.png

I've always admired Feldberg's throwing style, it looks to me like it is a very repeatable motion. I have tried to imitate his style in the past, but I can't seem to throw it very far; I think I tend to strong arm it. Maybe i will try to work on it again in a field.

I don't understand how you would throw a flat, or an anhyzer shot with that "straight arm" style.

I don't understand how you would throw a flat, or an anhyzer shot with that "straight arm" style.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I was able to alter the disc angle to flat pretty reasonably by making sure to come into the core flat - then it becomes about spine tilt and trajectory to get over to anhyzer.

And flipping discs.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I was able to alter the disc angle to flat pretty reasonably by making sure to come into the core flat - then it becomes about spine tilt and trajectory to get over to anhyzer.

And flipping discs.

That's on point from my experience. Feldy's style is very much about the "everything is a hyzer" mentality

My arm tends to be straighter when I'm throwing with my standard 2 step run up. When I'm throwing from a standstill for upshots and shorter drives, my elbow ends up being much more bent. With the straight arm approach the power seems to be coming from the big shoulder muscles and the arm swings like a pendulum. The disc "speed" comes from the pendulum, but the disc spin comes from the wrist flick at the very end of my throw. My throw only works when I follow through correctly. If I'm trying to throw on a hyzer angle, I try to bend slightly forward at the waist, if I'm trying to throw on an anhyzer angle, I'm arching my back just a bit. I have no idea if I have "good" form or not. My throw has evolved because of injury and body shape more than any conscious choices on my part. Like a lot of people, some days it works pretty good, some days not. And yes, this type of throw strongly favors hyzer releases.

I dabbled with something similar to this style. I learned to hyzerflip understable discs (comet, valkyrie, beast etc.) like this because with my normal form I couldn't put enough hyzer on some discs to let them fly straight. It worked well, but I gave it up and now my form is better so I can adjust to throw different stabilities of discs.

Latest posts