• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is your Favorite Pro to WATCH?

JNichols

Smelling the Shame
Kinda reminiscing tonight because I found my stacks of "The Clash" DVDs after our move. Went through and watched a couple of them, for the 942nd time, and kinda got to thinking. There is a TON of powerful, accurate talent in disc golf today. The McBeths, Wysockis, Lizottes, etc. They have Huge arms, a big arsenal of shots, and the know how to use them. I find it kinda Funny almost enjoy watching Older Disc Golf Footage more, but then it hit me why that is....

I am a HUGE Barry Schultz Fan. I LOVE watching that guy throw. He has hardly any reach back, not much of a run up, the oddest looking straddle putt in the game (Behind Brinster), but he makes it all look SUPER SMOOTH and he is SUPER CONSISTENT.

Kinda made me giggle to realize that this day in age, and with ALL the talent out there in the game, Barry Schultz is the dude I enjoy watching play the game the most. But, I don't feel bad about it, either. I wish I had a Third of that guys skills.

Anyway, who is YOUR Favorite Pro to watch (on Youtube/Live/DVD) play the game??? :D

I love watching the old school guys, but you can see how the integration of a solid sidearm game in most modern pros (off the tee and for upshots) really differentiates the eras.

the one guy who has a similar throwing style (almost like a frisbee/ultimate backhand toss) to Schultz is Michael Johansen. Where they take it wide and go slow and smooth until a quick whip like hit with huge crush distances.

I love MJ because he's got that old school frisbee backhand crush form, but also will break out the smoothest of sidearms, then he has that quick spin putt that seems to be the same form even from 50 ft out.

I also like watching Barsby because it seems like he could have the best all around tools in the game (he even switches his putts from spin to straddle and seems to not be phased).

I love watching the old school guys, but you can see how the integration of a solid sidearm game in most modern pros (off the tee and for upshots) really differentiates the eras.

the one guy who has a similar throwing style (almost like a frisbee/ultimate backhand toss) to Schultz is Michael Johansen. Where they take it wide and go slow and smooth until a quick whip like hit with huge crush distances.

I love MJ because he's got that old school frisbee backhand crush form, but also will break out the smoothest of sidearms, then he has that quick spin putt that seems to be the same form even from 50 ft out.

I also like watching Barsby because it seems like he could have the best all around tools in the game (he even switches his putts from spin to straddle and seems to not be phased).

Barsby is, and always will be, one of my Favorite "New Schoolers". That guy is Fun to watch. :clap:

Stoked you brought up MJ! You know, Wysocki and MJ have a Similar "Old School Frisbee Backhand Crush Form", IMO. I wonder if Wysocki learned a thing, or two from MJ? :popcorn:

I've always been a Will Schusterick fan, so I enjoy watching him play. Also Nate and Valarie. Those two are so cool, professional and always smiling. It's fun to see them perform well in tourneys.

Lizotte. Just for the spectacular lines he picks.

MJ for smoothness. Barsby for fun factor.

Paul for sheer dominance. I love it when people dominate their sport.

Im split between Paul McBeth, Will Schusterick, Nikko Locastro, and Big Jerm.

Will Schusterick by far. He just seems to have "the modern disc golf" form. The only thing imho keeping him from dominating the sport is his putting. If/when he dials that in I don't see anyone beating him.

I was amazed by MJs throw ever since I was playing Bracketts and took a break on hole 4 (the 420 hole, cause the numbers change so much)to drink a beer and he came up and crushed a drive almost to the basket, with almost no effort, at least it looked like to me. The accuracy is what blew my mind though. Bracketts is the kind of course that even if you hit your intended line, you are still praying to miss trees.

Of the touring guys, The lead card I want to watch the most is Wysocki, Lizotte, Barsby, and McCray.

Barsby for the fun factor and because he is accurate without the huge crushing hyhzers other Pros seem to throw. Great putter and scrambler.

MJ because he is always smiling and makes it look easy.

JohnE - for the emotional stoke factor.

Shultz - Knows his discs, course management and golfing brain and is so accurate it the trees.

Climo - He's Climo!

Will Schusterick because of his drives.

Nate Doss for his overall game.

And Simon Lizotte for his bombs.

Jerm. Hands down. Just such an incredible player, but, more than that, just a fun guy to be around. Big smiles, cracking jokes. Good fella.

Got 'em both in the first two posts ... Johansen and Schultz, for the reasons mentioned above. While they may not throw as far as the young guns, both of those guys can get them out there. It's their surgical precision in the woods and smooth form that most impresses me.

PS: Watching Ragna and the other ladies goes without saying but that's not all about disc golf. ;)

Barry would top my list too, for the same reasons. He makes it look so effortless. MJ is a close second. He's a surgeon amongst a bunch of hacks, and he seems like he couldn't be happier to be anywhere but out on the course

Jerm is another. Now that his efforts at controlling his temper have seemingly been working it's fun watching him step up and just effortlessly crush drives, both FH and BH.

Simon came to mind too, but he throws so high so often that you rarely get the chance to follow every shot. He does look like he's having a blast on the course though.

Latest posts