• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are cones not the official target of the pdga?

I doubt it. There were both plastic cones (mostly portables) and metal cones (mostly permanent) but Ed was locked in on chains only. If he had a cone it may have been in the shop to study and test it.

One of the old courses on the north side of Chicago had cone style baskets, but they were more DGA style than the cone basket pictured by the OP.

Those look gay as hell.

Although I would like to play a tone pole course. I was a few weeks too late to play the tones at the redwood curtain. They just pulled them all and put in New baskets. I was sadly disappointed I didn't get to play a tone pole course.

One of the old courses on the north side of Chicago had cone style baskets, but they were more DGA style than the cone basket pictured by the OP.

Adler park in Libertyville Il? I played the league there a couple summers ago on Tuesday night and they asked about my home courses that I play, of course the people knew of the famous Kaposia, Bryant Lake, BRP courses but a few of the older guys at the league knew exactly what cones were.

Pretty sure Adler Park in Libertyville on the north side had cone baskets like the one pictured. I played a tournament there in the 90s when they still had them (gone now). Now maybe there was another course that had them, too?

That's why ball golf is on the backslide. They should have holes of different sizes and shapes on each green...

So you want Disc Golf to become like Golf? :sick: :gross:

No thanks.

Cones are great. Way more room for me to sign my fairway aces.

dancing-troll-face-trollface-trolls-dance.gif

overall the best target that requires you to hit a sweet spot to hit a putt or an ace, not catch the last chain on the edge to get a lucky drop.

I guess the guys who decided came to an agreement that they want more puts to stay in. Hence chains. And I dont blame them. We still have too many putts that chain out.

Coming from a biased lefty 2x Moir mystery champion. Top $$$$$$ is coming after you this year, even though leftys seem to have better luck for whatever reason

Played the MN course, Ft Wayne course had cones for some in early 90's . Shoaf park. Odd target for sure.

I just checked the hole type options, and cone isn't one of them. Is there another name for these baskets?

I just checked the hole type options, and cone isn't one of them. Is there another name for these baskets?

Cone/saucer, not pdga legal

I should have been more clear. I meant there was not an option for cone baskets when listing/searching for a course on DGCR. It seems like there should be.

Pretty sure Adler Park in Libertyville on the north side had cone baskets like the one pictured. I played a tournament there in the 90s when they still had them (gone now). Now maybe there was another course that had them, too?

Yeah, I think it was Adler, but I remember them being the same style basket that we had in West Park at the time, but with a cone instead of chains. I'm pretty sure they were not like the one pictured. There were a couple of other 9 holers on the north side back then, those could have been on one of them.

Kinde's place?

Though I don't remember any cones...

He has one now, I donated a cone to Steve last summer. I only had the cone part and he had an original basket. His plan was to use it as a practice basket by camp I think.

^^^^Sweet!

I played Adler numerous times when it was still 18 holes; and there were no cones that I remember....

I understand the difference between cost of a tonal pole (spell that correctly?) and a basket is a huge cost. Also, I believe it's good to have multiple manufacturers of baskets so there isn't one company holding down a monopoly on them.

Besides the only baskets I hate are the innova baskets with the obnoxious yellow bogie band. At least discraft did one thing right with their baskets.

We call that the chastity belt. I hate them. Mostly the noise when a disc hits them. That noise is worse than my daughter thinking the guttural grudge noise is a funny way to wake her parents.

^^^^Sweet!

I played Adler numerous times when it was still 18 holes; and there were no cones that I remember....

It was 9 originally, then 18, then sadly 9 again. By the time it went to 18, the cones were gone.

Q: Why are cones not the official target of the PDGA?
A: Because baskets are better.