• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are cones not the official target of the pdga?

I've played Moir multiple times now, the cones keep me coming back. I haven't played many courses in the TC area more than Moir despite many being better rated.

I play Hansen park probably once a month in the summer if not weekly and have a love hate feeling about them... That course is all of 10 minutes from here and has crap beat up chain baskets too.

Cones really do suck for the most part (yes i feel the love here but seriously?!) -- There is an enjoyable challenge to them but only if you are not going worry about your putting like its the USDGC. Nothing about the cones is more desirable than current baskets outside of the factor which we get to enjoy here locally and a few others around the country.

All in all, these are horrible.

Curious why these did not make it, overall the best target that requires you to hit a sweet spot to hit a putt or an ace, not catch the last chain on the edge to get a lucky drop. I am sure most of you do not even know what these are. They sadly we're never approved as a pdga target.

Untitled by timj5304, on Flickr

Still laughing at all the hate. 'Cause hitting the chains is the object! Not! I wish.
Had one bounce out from a high turning shot around a tree at 150' last weekend. Went through the chains twice. Just the way it works. Nothings perfect. A barrel would have caught better!
Still, those things look hard!

Tim J - I've played Moir Park, only time I've ever seen/played on Cones. My gf from bloomington took me there, I was shocked when I saw the baskets lol. Never heard of them before that.

Definitely more skill involved with the cones, but it's really gratifying when you stick one in the chains nicely! Cones are very difficult to putt into, especially if there's any kind of high wind.

I'd expect the cones to be a more "consistent" target than the chains, since they are symmetrical from all directions, with no holes or gaps in the sweet spot. That makes it a trade off for us between consistency and the size of the sweet spot. Has anyone ever tried to make a basket using a cone of chain mail instead of strings of chain? It could be expensive, but I'd like to know how well that would catch discs.

One thing I do like about the cone target in the image is the basket itself, which is wider at the middle than in the rim -- a cross-section more like a horseshoe than a rectangle. That could reduce bounce-outs on hard shots like ace runs.

The real challenge with the cone targets and why they aren't "all that" is the trays were designed for larger diameter old school discs. If you are putting with Aviars or other 21 centimeter discs they can fall right through the bottom of the tray.

In spite of the cones, I always enjoyed playing the PDGA events at Moir with the extra holes set up. Moir is one of my favorite urban parks of all time. A tranquil little setting that seems so far away from the city, yet is right in the middle of it. Finding a gem of a park like Moir is one of the reasons I enjoy disc golf so much.

Hmm, if you take off the top and split the cone in the middle you should be able to take the parts and temporarily convert a chain basket to a cone one. Less either/or and more variety...

The cones seem like they would be perpetual victims of vandalism.

Not aware of any stolen at Moir since installed in 1980 considering there's no place to get replacements. Maybe some have been tagged with Sharpie touting aces but it's hard to see on the dark green. Park Dept has maybe painted some of them but most look like the original paint job.

I'd expect the cones to be a more "consistent" target than the chains, since they are symmetrical from all directions, with no holes or gaps in the sweet spot.

Yes, and no moving parts can only heighten consistency. I like the principles, but I simply hate the aesthetics of the cones.

Not aware of any stolen at Moir since installed in 1980 considering there's no place to get replacements. Maybe some have been tagged with Sharpie touting aces but it's hard to see on the dark green. Park Dept has maybe painted some of them but most look like the original paint job.

Hole 5 was stolen, according to reviews. I'd assume that's correct, as that cone is different from all the rest (as of this last weekend).

I would have liked if the distance between the cone structure and the top of the tray was just a touch bigger. That said, I had a blast playing a solo round on them...although I don't know that I'd want to play them all the time.

yeah i played moir last summer. cone'd out on hole 2. would love some cone ace. anyways yeah there was something up with one of the baskets. cool course. moir is a cool piece of dg history.

Those cones SUCK, otherwise Hanson is a decent layout. Real baskets would make that course more enjoyable.

Thank you for the blast from the past. I remember those old things from the 80's and have no seen them other than pictures in over 30 years. Thnink of the graffiti potential if they still around.

Latest posts