• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are lid discs taboo?

When I think of a "lid" style disc, I think of a disc like this. A Frisbee that we threw back in the day before they invented the "modern" style golf discs. Thats why the original courses are so short, cuz we were throwing these type discs on them:

picture.php

Long before you joined, DGCR still existed. During that time, lid-style putters received very little love. The stock joke answer in threads was Polecat.

I guess I should say recently. I wouldn't say a LOT of people throw them, but I would say its enough to notice on here. They do make really good approach discs. Even The Champ has been known to throw the Sonic on certain approaches, and he has very publicly said he liked the disc.

I will say I don't see a lot of people PUTTING with lids, except for my dad and a few casual golfers who just have odd mixes of discs anyway. They aren't popular here in Korea, but I know in Colorado I saw a lot of people using them. perhaps because CO is high elevation, and it tends to make discs a little more stable, people feel more comfortable using them. I dunno.

I don't use them myself, but like I said, they certainly work. Especially if you're coming from the Ultimate or Freestyle world of disc sports.

When I think of a "lid" style disc, I think of a disc like this. A Frisbee that we threw back in the day before they invented the "modern" style golf discs. Thats why the original courses are so short, cuz we were throwing these type discs on them:

picture.php

thrembo rules, you guys drool. :p :D

I have a full set of these World Class discs[97 gr.-175 gr.] from the late 70s. Unthrown.

Last edited:
In a tournament last month someone said to me, "Wow, I haven't seen a Polecat used in a long time!" That remark I believe was followed by a snicker. Certainly the indication was that another disc would have been a better choice. I find that I'm very accurate with it, as long as there is zero wind, which is rare here in Kansas. When I throw it I know it's gonna go straight to the basket. But with the slightest breeze it tends to lift up and over my target. From out further I feel confident in using it for an approach because it usually has a nice gentle landing and will not roll away when the basket is on an incline.

The most annoying part about lids isn't the lids it's listening to old guys blather on and on about how it's the straightest greatest thing ever made and all these young guys don't know nothing about throwing lids blah blah blah.

Throw what you want -- just don't expect everyone to ooh and ahh cuz you're throwing a puppy or a polecat or a rattler or a condor -- well, maybe a condor -- they're fun to watch, I just can't throw one for poop.

Sorry -- I play often times with old guys that may get a little long-winded about their favorite mold from the 70's. It's a frisbee . . .calm down!!

The most annoying part about lids isn't the lids it's listening to old guys blather on and on about how it's the straightest greatest thing ever made and all these young guys don't know nothing about throwing lids blah blah blah.

Throw what you want -- just don't expect everyone to ooh and ahh cuz you're throwing a puppy or a polecat or a rattler or a condor -- well, maybe a condor -- they're fun to watch, I just can't throw one for poop.

Sorry -- I play often times with old guys that may get a little long-winded about their favorite mold from the 70's. It's a frisbee . . .calm down!!

I've been corrected on this a bunch on here...Condors aren't "lids" because they are beveled edge. And they have a prominent bead. But oh boy do they make great rollers! Thye don't fly like lids though. They fly like a modern golf disc.

I don't know what old guys you play with, but you should throw a round with my dad sometime. The smallest diameter disc he uses is a Buzzz. But he doesn't say word one about it. Just throws large-diameter discs and rules the course.

I may be wrong, but I believe the lids currently in his bag are: Rattler, Sonic, SuperHero, Hero 235, '86 Softie (reproduction), Zephyr and occasionally a Polecat. And he uses the Polecat for distance. No lie.

But yep, his shots are super-duper straight and controllable. And for the record, I get my mouth from my mom. My dad won't open his lip once about the disc he throws.

I have found this discussion intriguing. If one didnt throw a condor (I know this isn't a true lid), and wanted to pick one up, would one pick a lightweight or heavyweight? I don't throw rollers, would probably mess around with this as an approach disc. My current midrange is a buzzz (and a mako 3 I just picked up).

Seriously, if you are a new player and have NOT thrown a "lid" you need to pick one up.

You will find more out about your throw than any comet, tangent, buzz, putter whatever the hell you want to throw to improve your form-- try getting the lines right with a lid from big hyzers which don't turn at all, flat straight shots and so on. Probably one of the most beneficial things I did for my game about 2 years back was a play a whole round with some huge lid disc I found on a local 9. At first everything would just turn over and the disc "sucked" but I came to find out what REAL control is and how poor my form really was.

Sounds like you need to calm down...and find a new card.

Similar analogy imo as roller blades to skateboarders or skiers to snowboarders. You use the same facility but that's about it. You don't enjoy each others company too much and you make fun of one another often. Every once and a while you'll find a person or small group of "them" that's cool but for the most part, they're lame.

I haven't had much experience having to deal with lid throwers at my courses but the few times I have, they've been lamers.

Last edited:
well without skiing/roller blades you have no skateboard or snowboard-- its like calling a model T ford a crap car... umm well its nothing compared to today's cars but if you forgot it made driving possible.

Lids are the model T of disc spots.

...have some respect and understanding of the sport we all play here!

I think there is a perception that lids, like base plastic, are for beginners and children, etc. To some extent I think that is a result of the marketing efforts of disc manufacturers that promoted the latest discs to the detriment of the earlier molds. I think most players who started disc golf in the last 10 years don't even get around to trying a lid until they've tried just about everything else, and that's a big investment of money, time, and attention.

I have found this discussion intriguing. If one didnt throw a condor (I know this isn't a true lid), and wanted to pick one up, would one pick a lightweight or heavyweight? I don't throw rollers, would probably mess around with this as an approach disc. My current midrange is a buzzz (and a mako 3 I just picked up).

I like the condor right around 180-190 a bit easier to control, for me at least.

It seems like the "cool" thing to do on here to hate on them (which in all honesty, there's not a lot of smack talk about them on here anymore). I find that people joke about my Polecat until I throw it. :D

I still joke about it :D

Stupid "Pooooollllecaaaaaatttt" that just went in from 100' with less speed on it than your putts... :wall:

Why are lid discs taboo?

The short answer is, they're not. Very rarely have I had someone comment on whatever disc I've thrown. More so they comment on my crappy shot.

I still joke about it :D

Stupid "Pooooollllecaaaaaatttt" that just went in from 100' with less speed on it than your putts... :wall:

That Polecat kept us under par at The Twilight Zone! It didn't work so well yesterday at Goshen though. :(

I'm willing to bet that if they made more lids in premium plastics they'd take off. I used to love the Sonic, but the design plus base plastic meant I had to replace it every 1 - 4 weeks because it would split along the thumbtrack if I hit a tree too hard with it. Also, doesn't Climo throw a Sonic?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/group.php?groupid=456

I love throwing lid like discs. I do wish they would make them in better plastics but I can deal with baseline. The Lat64 Opto Bite has ruined me in a small way here lately. Polecats and Rattlers are beautiful.

three putt do you know if the Piranha has the ability to make a comeback?