• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why can't I throw stable?

jspector

Hi all,
I've got a question for ya. I'm still new and learning to play but have gotten much better in the last month or so (somewhat due to stuff I've read here). I've been throwing light (166g) understable discs (mainly a discraft glide). Once I felt I could control it and started getting a little more distance I moved up to an Eclipse which supposedly is more stable than a glide. So I can now throw that pretty well. But when I try to throw something more stable ( an Avenger SS) It goes no where. Why is this? Is it that I mostly throw the understable discs hyzer and need to throw the more stable ones anhyzer or is it my throwing speed? I'm confused. Also I can now get nice "s" shots with my understable discs and isn't that what you want for distance? Why throw stable discs? Are they more predictable?

An Avenger SS should be understable or at least stable. The SS stands for super straight. Maybe a Nuke SS would be more up your alley. They are damn understable.

You need to keep your elbow down and and pull straight across your chest. This should keep the disc level and take a nice straight flight path.

Sounds like the Avenger SS is too fast. You could also be putting everything on a steep hyzer since you learned with more understable discs.

Hard telling for sure without more detail but I highly advise staying slower than the A-SS rather than getting something faster, no matter how flippy it is.

As your form/skill/power/muscle memory kicks in and your discs start breaking in and becoming more understable, you will start turning your understable discs over more until they completely flip on you. Until this happens stick with them. Most people start the other way, using over stable. Personally, I think you're doing the right thing and learning understable discs first. Another way to compensate for your eventual improvements is to tweak your disc weights. You just have to find out what works right for you and stick with it. Regardless of what people say on here, there's no right or wrong way to play if you're having fun. That said, I think you're starting off right with understable discs.

But yes, you're figuring it out. Thrown at the same power an understable disc will have to be thrown on a hyzer and overstable on an anhyzer to get the to perform in a 'similar' manner. And like you guessed, people like overstable discs because they are predictable. It's the same reason people throw overhand. You're going to get roughly the same distance and errors are typically minimized.

And stick with the Glide. It's a great disc!

the only real advice i ever got on a backhand about a year ago was "act like you are bitch slapping someone. you want to go across the cheek flat. if you bitch slap up and away, you will hurt your hand on their chin. keep your pimp hand strong, but safe too."

think about it

avenger ss should fly like a fast road runner with a big arm if not a roller.

the nuke ss as well.

granted both are "ss", but without the distance/speed/arm power and all that jazz, that's exactly what it's going to do ...go about 100 ft out and break left (RHBH)

to the "try a nuke ss" ...well, that's just a terrible idea.

the only real advice i ever got on a backhand about a year ago was "act like you are bitch slapping someone. you want to go across the cheek flat. if you bitch slap up and away, you will hurt your hand on their chin. keep your pimp hand strong, but safe too."

think about it

LOL.

I will meditate on this wisdom, O Wise Pimp. :D

I throw the Z-Glide and Avenger ss , I can throw both over 300 and diff for me is I can make my SS make a wider S-curve.

avenger ss should fly like a fast road runner with a big arm if not a roller.

the nuke ss as well.

granted both are "ss", but without the distance/speed/arm power and all that jazz, that's exactly what it's going to do ...go about 100 ft out and break left (RHBH)

to the "try a nuke ss" ...well, that's just a terrible idea.

If anything, the Nuke ss with turn right and burn on him. That disc has to have alot of hyzer to maintain a straight flight. I figured his power could handle that. The Nuke ss was made with him in mind.

If anything, the Nuke ss with turn right and burn on him. That disc has to have alot of hyzer to maintain a straight flight. I figured his power could handle that. The Nuke ss was made with him in mind.

He said an avenger SS goes way left for him, indicative that it is too fast. Why would you suggest a faster disc?

The nuke SS is only a good choice if you want an early distance plateu and unpredictable drives

If you are throwing with a bunch of hyzer then a new avenger SS would feel pretty stable for a new player. How far can you get the eclipse and glide?

I have to throw an avenger SS completely flat to get it out to 300 feet. when I hyzer flip it, it seems to flip up a little but never to flat.

It sounds like you throw a bit like me so if you are dead set on throwing a driver I would suggest getting either a DX or Pro leopard or a lat 64 gold line vision (around 165g). They flip up easily and will help with your distance.

With all of that said though, I would get yourself a Discraft meteor and maybe a stalker. The stalker would be great for wind and overstable stuff and the meteor is understable but has wicked glide. I can throw my meteor as far as some of my drivers with much less effort. Once you can get both of them out to 300 feet then the avenger SS will start to work a lot better for you

Latest posts