• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Directional Aid Illegal?

**OT**

In general everything in this post was valid, but just to not spread "ghost rules", even if it for "ball golf", I just have to make a correction here.

It is true that you earlier were allowed to place a club on the ground as alignment aid as long as you picked it up befor you made your stroke. However this is now changeed since the rules as of 2019 and is no longer allowed:

(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of play.

If the player takes a stance in breach of this Rule, he or she cannot avoid penalty by backing away from the stance and removing the object.

https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-10#10-2b

THANK YOU!!!! I was not aware the rule had changed and appreciate you correcting me on that.

One major difference between traditional golf and disc golf in this area is that one must know the LOP to take a legal stance for disc golf.

How well are distances marked on most disc courses? Once off the tee are there other distance to basket markers in the fairway?
If not a rangefinder seems completely reasonable to me.

What if you have a blind putt and your caddy grabs the basket and shakes it like a baby? Does it make a difference if it is a card mate or a spotter or an official or a random spectator?

AND what if your caddy ran quickly up the fairway, said something like, "throw 10 feet right of where I'm standing" then moved to a different spot or even out of the way? Are they still a directional aid? What if the the caddy & player had some type of code (like "throw 10 feet right of me" means "throw straight right at me")?

Latest posts