• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is this too many molds?

For those who go the base plastic/wear stages route, what do you do when you nail a tree with that dx Roc or Teebird that you've been working a couple months to get into the neutral stability stage?
Check to see if it was tacoed, bend it back if it was and then continue playing. They don't really change that fast once they get to that point.
It seems you would be more confident in having a premium plastic disc with a specific purpose that isn't going to change the way flies with the hit of a tree or just a couple months of play.
They don't change with the hit of a tree and the change is pretty gradual. There's usually two versions of a disc that you're cycling that will work just as well for any given shot, you just have to throw them a bit differently. Once your new one isn't fading as hard as you'd like you can just add a new one. Up to that point you were just throwing the old "new" one on a bit more hyzer than the new one would need.

Here's more on the topic of minimizing the number of molds thrown:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=640

When I carried a ton of different molds in my bag I noticed that there were a handful of discs that were my "go tos" and a lot of the others only got thrown once in a blue moon. Oddly enough all of these "go to" discs are the equivalent of a speed 9 or slower. The boss is really only the high speed driver that I still throw regularly, and that's more or less on open holes where I can give up some accuracy for a bit of extra distance.

Within the past few months I've been carrying duplicates of a mold, either a different plastic, or a different weight or whatever and it's been working out. Throwing fewer molds makes you focus more on the shape of the line, and how you are going to make the disc follow that line. I've got a buddy who is of the opposite train of thought and has a disc for every type of shot possible. Sometimes I shake my head after seeing some of his disc selection, but he knows the plastic he throws. A hole I may throw a buzzz on he may throw a boss on a different line, and get just as close to the bucket, if not closer than I will.

Personally I don't get in nearly as much golf now as I did in college, so I'm more comfortable and confident with a handful of molds as opposed to a bunch. If I played a several rounds a week I might have more molds in my bag. I don't think either school of thought is right or wrong, it's just a matter of what you feel gives you the best chance of hitting your shot. I think both sides will agree that if you're not confident in what you're throwing you don't stand a chance getting of the results you want.

i carry a very similar combination of molds and i'm very comfortable throwing them all. game on.

For those who go the base plastic/wear stages route, what do you do when you nail a tree with that dx Roc or Teebird that you've been working a couple months to get into the neutral stability stage? It seems you would be more confident in having a premium plastic disc with a specific purpose that isn't going to change the way flies with the hit of a tree or just a couple months of play.

I carry a few DX Wraiths for one single purpose: Long range turnover shots. Once they're beaten to that point, about the only bad thing that can happen is having them shatter, split or lost. Anything else I just bend back into shape, and it retains the turnover that I've grown to love.

For the neutral stability I use Pro and Star, and have about 5 that fit that slot right now perfectly. For overstable I carry the Star Wraiths that were molded without the patent number on the bottom. Those things are BEEFY ..

Do your own thing bruh. Feldberg carries more discs and molds than anyone on this site. Cam Todd carries fewer than most. Both are World Champions. Go figure.

Sometimes I like to carry 8, yes 8, driver molds in my bag. 4 high speed and 4 fairway drivers. In each group, I like to have a super overstable disc (ex. Banshee, XCaliber), a tad overstable (ex. Eagle, Wraith), something a little flippy but straight (ex. Cheetah, Valkyrie), and something really understable (ex. X XPress, Roadrunner). I get told though, that that's too many molds. What is wrong with this approach?

I carry 7, and that's only because I am waiting until next payday to buy what I hope will be my 8th and final driver. So, nothing wrong with it at all.

I think this post just pegged my irony meter.

Sometimes I like to carry 8, yes 8, driver molds in my bag. 4 high speed and 4 fairway drivers. In each group, I like to have a super overstable disc (ex. Banshee, XCaliber), a tad overstable (ex. Eagle, Wraith), something a little flippy but straight (ex. Cheetah, Valkyrie), and something really understable (ex. X XPress, Roadrunner).

And then there's the sig line:

Darth Anovin said:
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian! ;)

As for the thread's question, I say throw what makes you happy. If lugging around a bag crammed with a couple dozen discs yields a fun disc golf experience for you -- go for it!

Personally, I go to the opposite extreme. I use four discs because that's what's fun for me.

While one isn't wrong or right, leaning fewer (versitile) molds is certainly better. Why? Because the player that learned to shape lines using speed, speed, nose angle, and oat (among other things) can at anytime add molds and apply their lineshaping skills while those dependent on the disc will have to depend on the disc.
I also find line shapers tend to play the wind better.

Just think of your shots.
If you have your shots covered then you are good.
Sounds to me like you have it laid out for your game.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I get too serious about disc I play worse.

Relax, have fun, and throw what you want. Stay on your time.

dx is more durable than people think it is, I've thrown rocs that are 5+ years old, a little warpage doesn't affect the flight as much as you may think and one tree hit will never destroy a dx teebird/roc etc.

No doubt, it can take 3+ years for a Roc to start beating in depending on where one lives. Two years ago I added dx TBs to the bag and it took me that long to beat one in.

It is not crazy, when I was a noob I carried no duplicated (30 molds) and probably 12-14 different driver molds. Now I carry 6 different driver molds, but 2 are overlap, but I keep them anyway.

dx is more durable than people think it is, I've thrown rocs that are 5+ years old, a little warpage doesn't affect the flight as much as you may think and one tree hit will never destroy a dx teebird/roc etc.

I have a about half a dozen taco'd DX Teebirds, Valks, Leopards that think that's BS. One tree hit CAN kill a driver. DX Drivers and the Pacific Northwest woods don't get along very well.

But to stay on-topic...I'm just going to the echo the sentiment of everyone else. Mold Minalism forces you to learn to shape lines with what you have instead of having a disc for every shot.

I sort of hinted in my OP as to why I do. To take it a step further, let me explain something. I play the same 4 or 5 courses pretty regularly. Therefore, I like to explore different lines more often than not. I don't like getting in the habit of, "oh, this is the hole I ALWAYS use my Valkyrie on..." That may get boring after a while. So I like to change it up. One day, I may anhyzer my XPress of the pad on a certain hole. The next day, I may forehand my Banshee. I wasn't really asking for an "approval." Just wondering why people give others crap for the amount of different molds they carry.

I totally agree. 2 summers ago I drove around with about 30 discs in my car. Every time I got to a course (which usually was 1 of 3) I would pick about 10-12 discs out for that day, on that course. I would try different stuff each time. (Some days were windier so I would choose the heavier of the discs, etc. Quiet days got the light blazin fast ones)
1- To force myself to use other discs.
2- to have fun with variety
3- I like being able to throw together a bag each time...its fun to select.
If I just had the same 12 disc bag every time I agree...its like "Oh, hole 4, I throw my Meteor up with a nice anhyzer to go around the tree, I'll land about there...1-2 put easy." It just gets boring. So I would force myself to try different things. Otherwise, how else would you get better at certain types of things you never try? Get outa that routine.

Also, I agree with the thread poster. I carry 2-4 fairway 2-4 Distance...depending. So yeah for example.
Fairway: Glide/Leopard, Stalker/XL, Eagle, Predator
Distance: Roadrunner/Sidewinder, Valkyrie/Beast, Wraith/Destroyer/TRex, Pulse/Force/Boss

Yeah, any combo of those. Whatever you feel.

Just have fun, if you have fun trying new things and workin different style of shots. OR if you just want to focus and get good with that Buzz, whatever. I do what I do, and I shoot just fine. that is all

Playing in a Busan, S. Korea tourney next week!:hfive:

Last edited: