• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why no love for the beast?

barry shultz is the man. i got all the love for the beast, i have 2 in my bag. throw the thing and find out.

I've said this before, but neither the new or old mold beast flies like an orc, from MY experience.

I personally don't think I have a crazy powerful arm... I'd say it's just average at best. But I've had 3 Beasts - 2 champ and 1 DX. They'd always turn and never come back. I don't know, maybe it's my form, but I found them to be too understable. That's why they left the bag. When I started, though, they were my main driver.

I know a local pro who consistently throws a beast and beats the heck out of me with it. That's why I have no love for the beast.

Been throwing gummy beasts in OP champ, 1x, 2x, star, etc. for almost as long as I have been playing. They are excellent drivers when both distance AND accuracy is needed. Beast are flippy to stable depending on mold and very reliable. Even though I can break 400 w/ HSS discs, this one will always have a spot in my back for 300' shots at all angles. I tend to use them more often in more open areas where I would use my ce valks more for tight wooded shots.

max or near max helps...mine are all at least 170+

I know a local pro who consistently throws a beast and beats the heck out of me with it. That's why I have no love for the beast.
That's a legit reason for lack of love. :|

It's simple the dx beast and dx leopard and dx Viking and dx shark are often part of the innova beginner pack all in 150 weights

So newer players assume these are crappy beginner discs

Nothing could be further from the truth

It's an instance where the blind are leading the blind when a player who has been around less than 5 yrs tells a beginner that those discs are for newbs and no good

Comical actually

Beast is a great disc. Easy to get up to speed, controllable, rewards good form. Think it isn't discussed to much because a lot of intermediates use it and then grow (or think they grow) out of it and move on to faster discs. I find it a great compromise for players who throw way to fast discs and do the want to go the way down to a Leopard or teebird.

The Beast is my go to driver for a majority of shots around 300'. I have more aces with Beasts than any other disc in my bag!! That said, I am a big fan of the old mold Beast, and still have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth about them changing the mold due to a newer mold (the Orc) being too similar. If that was the case, then change the Orc, don't change my BEASTS!!! It's ok though, I have 30+ old mold backups, so I think I'm good... Just wish they would have made an old mold in glow plastic...

I believe that I've always carried a beast in my bag. I use to only use it for thumber shots, but I've recently started back handing it. It's a great feeling disc IMO.

Beast is in the odd tweener speeds that get no love anymore.
Back when I started playing, Beasts were amongst some of the fastest drivers available. Then the Wraith came out, followed by the Speed 12 & 13 stuff and stole its thunder. I don't really think that the disc lost any love so much that its there are so many other choices out there now than there was ten years ago.

Beast is a great disc. Easy to get up to speed, controllable, rewards good form. Think it isn't discussed to much because a lot of intermediates use it and then grow (or think they grow) out of it and move on to faster discs. I find it a great compromise for players who throw way to fast discs and do the want to go the way down to a Leopard or teebird.

Wait I didn't get your last part. I'm throwing a leopard right now. Are you saying the beast is a step up or down from the leopard? Cause I'm looking for something to get me a little farther than the leopard which is my strongest disc ATM.

Wait I didn't get your last part. I'm throwing a leopard right now. Are you saying the beast is a step up or down from the leopard? Cause I'm looking for something to get me a little farther than the leopard which is my strongest disc ATM.

Sounds like the Beast is just what you want. But if you're looking for other options, I'd throw Rival and Saint into the mix. Pinnacle Rival glides for days and goes nice and straight. Everyone who's thrown mine loves it.

Beast is an easy higher speed disc to throw for beginning and intermediate players. I had a DX one I eventually threw into a lake, and recently got a beat in champion version, and they are fun to throw - weaker armed players cans make nice s curves with a Beast, and throw them pretty far as well. I've always found them similar to the Valkyrie, another beginner friendly distance driver.

Anyone who loves the Beast also loves it in the bunghole. Just messin, Nothing wrong with a Beast. I think some people hated that they changed it to more understable and thats why it gets some bashing. They loved the old mold.

I've thought about this question of why the Beast is so popular with newer players and disliked a bit by more seasoned disc golfers.

I think it's because newer players find a long range driver that responds to their power. It can go straight for them, because it's speed stable for most newer players so it plays more overstable. But it's still an understable disc at it's core, and can hold long annies for newer players without fading out too soon, so it's easy distance . It's a taste of distance, but also decent control, for the newer player.

But if you've developed the power to get the Beast up to speed, it turns out to be a less useful combination of low LSS and a slightly OS fade (a kind of tweener measure of fade). If you can throw a Destroyer, there's no reason to throw anything like a Beast for distance. And it's got just enough HSS to make it less valuable as a turnover driver when you can throw a Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Leopard, River, etc., for the same shot much more easily.

I like this answer :thmbup:

I think the new mold beast goes even farther than the old mold. I think they're both great discs.
New mold requires more touch, but it can bomb. Actually both require touch as this is still a "flippy" disc relatively.