• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter sucks

How sucky is winter?

• Total voters
...that first round after fresh snow and you get to cut the first tracks yourself :)

Shovel off your labia, gents, and get outside.

what he said. decent boots, gaiters, a good vest and some bourbon or a nice dark beer makes winter golf just lovely. the main problem is finding other folks that want to join the fun.

We get snow once a year so I voted. Also, I'm originally from Kansas, and I love snow.

Winter is the best time to DG in Texas, less leaves on trees, your face doesn't melt off, and usually the ground is clear, easy to find a bright blue disc.

Hated winter. Moved from Indiana out west to Arizona. The courses here are nowhere near the caliber as back home but I can throw all year in tee shirt and shorts

That's great in virgin snow. Not so much in trampled-through snow.

SHOVEL OFF YOUR LABIA, SON!!!! :p :D

Honestly, though, I've never really had a problem with tracked-through snow...just have to pay more attention.

I've only ever lost one disc over many many many snow rounds, and that was just flukey.

SHOVEL OFF YOUR LABIA, SON!!!! :p :D

Honestly, though, I've never really had a problem with tracked-through snow...just have to pay more attention.

I've only ever lost one disc over many many many snow rounds, and that was just flukey.

We've had discs lost when we knew exactly where it went in. Of course, the snow was a couple feet deep.

You NW Indiana folks don't know what real snow is.

After a few round in relatively light snow (<4"), I was wondering myself if the ribbons were really needed. It seemed easy enough to find any disc (except the idiot who threw a glow disc....but that's another discussion).

And then...I played with 12" and it was a whole new situation. I had a few discs ribboned up just in case, which helped, but a few guys didn't. For the most part it was ok, then we get to a longer hole and one of our cardmates crushed a drive to the edge of the circle (which was well trampled at this point). We all watched. We all put it in the same ~10' circle. And we could find no cut in through the tracks. So we start the search....and search...and search. We had been waiting on each tee for another card so we let it go longer than 3 minutes before finally giving up. He goes back and throws from his partner's disc....and walking back up to the basket from there we finally find it.....right in the middle of the 10' area we searched for almost 5 minutes.

Needless to say when I got home I ribboned every disc I need outside of my putting putter. That was just plain silly.

Ribbons, brother. "Kick the Snow" is the worst game ever.

kick the snow is awesome.

i played a fun game of that with kodachrome. throw an awful teeshot. so i was about 10-20 feet in front of a tree. threw a flick and drilled the tree. i threw it i looked away out of disgust. koda and this other buster ducked cuz it was loud and they were close to me. no one saw where it landed. we looked for about 20 minutes couldnt find it.

i thought it shot out like 50 feet to the right hahaha. trampled the whole area. few weeks later koda goes back to look and found it right under the tree.

I like the snow when we don't get any for a week or two. When you shovel tee pads then it snows everyday for the next week is a bit disheartening. Maybe its finally time to leave the mountains.

We've had discs lost when we knew exactly where it went in. Of course, the snow was a couple feet deep.

You NW Indiana folks don't know what real snow is.

Pffffft, ever hear of lake-effect snow? Uh, I'm kinda in the kill-zone radius of Lake Michigan.

I've lived on both sides of the lake: in Wisconsin, Illinois, and NW Indiana.

NW Indiana gets more snow BY FAR.

Don't mind a little snow, but when the temp drops below 30 and the snow is more than 6 inches deep, I'm done discing.

Great thread idea. This weather sucks! I have been bummed since it got cold as I can't stand sitting indoors for 5 months (Nov-Mar, it really doesn't warm up until the end of April though). It's currently 27 degrees and we have a rare break in the 3 weeks of rain we've been getting. It will only get colder and wetter, too...

Time to get out of Ohio! Can't even snowboard out here. There is no fun to be had.

I'm in the middle of moving so disc golf isn't a consideration right now. If it has to snow, it might as well do it while I can't play. Just keep it off the roads.

Four seasons is a must for me and fortunately disc golf has no off season. West Virginia has had a mild winter thus far with nothing more than a few flurries. If it's going to be cold, it might as well be snowing!

I've only played one day in the snow but I'd take that over dark at 4pm. How am I supposed to do field work in the dark?? :(

When I lived in the midwest I was perfectly happy to play in snow or ice, it didn't take away from my playing enjoyment at all. I don't particularly miss it though, you won't hear me complaining about playing in 60 degree weather in December.

Living in Wyo you either learn to play in snow or you don't get to play very much, short summers. With that said I walked up to #1 hole yesterday with 6" of hardpack underneath 6" of fresh on top, and thought crap I don't want to have to look for my disc in all this snow. Let my Fury fly and bang, aced it!:clap: second ace on this hole. 300ft open meadow. Winter golf can be rewarding.:)

Don't mind a little snow, but when the temp drops below 30 and the snow is more than 6 inches deep, I'm done discing.

Second this. I don't mind playing in the cold but when there is enough snow accumulated to where it becomes difficult to reasonably find shots I'll pass.

I'm not about to tape ribbons to the plates and carry around a bag that looks like a birthday present.