• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter sucks

How sucky is winter?

• Total voters
Once the snow gets over 4-6" deep I'm usually done. As long as the ground stays clean of the white stuff I can always bundle up. I tried playing with ribbons once overrated and ruined my grip.

Once the snow gets over 4-6" deep I'm usually done. As long as the ground stays clean of the white stuff I can always bundle up. I tried playing with ribbons once overrated and ruined my grip.

Agreed with this. I'm okay with cold, but trudging through the snow for 18 holes isn't fun unless it's an ice bowl tourney or something.

I just switch to lids when there's more than a few inches of snow. They stay on top even with deep powder and they're a lot easier to throw when you have bad footing rather than trying to get a full rip on a driver on an icy pad. I ditch the bag and just take a Zephyr, and that helps with the fatigue of trudging through the snow too.

this is my first winter playing DG, and I thought it would be similar to training for running races in the cold.

Boy I was wrong, eventually when you're running, even in frigid 20ºF and below temps you eventually warm up and and get sweaty to the point you can be out in the freezing temps in a light running shirt.

With disc golf even if you move fast you still stand around and can get wicked cold. If its around mid to high 30ºF then I'm ok with a nice wool sweater though.

shoot, mid to high 30F is t-shirt weather...

I'm good to about negative 15 or so with just rain paints and a light down jacket (wind will require more clothes), I did fine last winter when I played 9 holes at negative 30, but I needed a couple more layers.

shoot, mid to high 30F is t-shirt weather...

Same for me too :) I usually start the round with a hoodie or thin jacket, but it's always stuffed in the bag by the 3rd hole.

I love the cold, but if it's snowing, I'm out snowboarding and not playing disc golf. I hate trying to find burried discs... Cold with no snow and I'll be out on the course as much as any other time of year.

I just switch to lids when there's more than a few inches of snow. They stay on top even with deep powder and they're a lot easier to throw when you have bad footing rather than trying to get a full rip on a driver on an icy pad. I ditch the bag and just take a Zephyr, and that helps with the fatigue of trudging through the snow too.

I need to try this this winter I think. Although it's been a weird Minnesota winter. We had close to 10 inches of snow in early November, it melted when December started, and now the snow we've gotten since has also melted. The ground is a mess. But we'll get snow, and I may have to steal the Zephyr idea.

There is not a poll option for "Snow, What snow?" I snows here once every few years, and only a couple of inches. When it does happen it only lasts like two days.

Right now it is 65 with an overnight low of 60. Christmas day is forcasted to be 56 and Sunny!

Forget living somewhere that it snows months at a time. I will gladly take my 100 degree, humid days in August before I would ever live where snow happens on a regular basis!

Last edited:

:thmbup:

I tried this for the first time last year. With all the snow we got last year it was fanfreekingtastic! The time saved not doing snow forensics was worth it alone. I've gotten one Zephyr round already. Can't wait till we get some snow again. But right now the weather has been close to ideal. 30-40° and no wind or precipitation. And even the busiest courses aren't so busy. :D

There is not a poll option for "Snow, What snow?" I snows here once every few years, and only a couple of inches. When it does happen it only lasts like two days.

Right now it is 65 with an overnight low of 60. Christmas day is forcasted to be 56 and Sunny!

Forget living somewhere that it snows months at a time. I will gladly take my 100 degree, humid days in August before I would ever live where snow happens on a regular basis!

This. Very much this.

Grew up in WI and spent my first 6 years in the sport trekking through snow rounds. Moved south 4 years ago and I am NEVER going back. I rarely need to wear more then a long sleeve shirt and hoodie to play disc golf in dec/jan/feb around here.

Been playing winter DG for a few years now. Like I always say, it's like the old saying, "Bad sex is better than no sex."

So having said that, I do play, but dread it.

Currently I am playing in two leagues. One is a week night league, so that is a glow round. Snow & darkness. There have been times I've had both a light AND a ribbon taped to my discs.

I too hate the "search for a disc" game. Especially when it's a cardmates disc who did not put on a ribbon. The first year of playing winter DG in a tournament I pulled a groin hunting for other peoples discs, practically after every single throw. Thirty-six holes of "did you see where my disc went?"

My goal though at this point is to get out here after AM Worlds next year. Hopefully an intercompany transfer to San Antonio.

Just played my first round in Snowshoes. And it was actually a lot of fun, and it forced me to work on my stand still shots.

It was a chilly 62 degrees today here on Christmas day. Made for a nice round, except for the 15 mph devil winds that changed direction at the drop of a hat.

Love it.

Acclimatize, learn and adapt gear, and have a good attitude. Weather changes a course of course. I live in a four season state and the weather extremes are nearly to the affect that it multiples the courses.

Spike into the snow hyzer with zero fear of skip away in a few inches of snow
Extreme 'playing the skip' on frozen and ice glazed ground. Some shots just realistically not possible otherwise.
Hitting virgin snow / iced chains
Virgin snow in general. First group out rules.
Winter die off actually making for more aggressive play / less worry of landing in vegetation 'jail'

Took in my first winter round today. Of course at 36 degrees with no snow or wind, it was more like a fall round.

I move to Texas next week. Super excited to be able to play in shorts year round. Up here anything above 40 in the winter is frequently shorts weather lol.