• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wiping a stamp off a disc?

Tomphoolery

Par Member
I've got a disc or two that just look incredible. The main one I'm thinking of is my translucent purple Proton Volt. The plastic looks so good, I would like to remove the stock stamp so I can enjoy the natural look of the disc.

Is there a foolproof method to wipe off a disc stamp cleanly without also taking the color of the plastic or damaging the disc?

^^Second acetone, but as someone who has used it a ton, I say screw the Qtip - just dump some acetone on and quickly wipe it off with paper towel.

Obviously, you want gloves and good ventilation.

Count me as another vote for acetone on a cotton ball to wipe a stamp. I just wiped a misprint Judge yesterday and it turned out great. 90 second process.

I go for straight acetone, nail polish remover is both diluted and almost always has other ingredients as well. Yes NPR will work but I'm a purist;) I've also found those makeup sponges or whatever they're called work even better than cotton balls, though any absorbent material will work just fine (cotton, paper towel, micro fiber, whatever).

Certain stamps will be easier than others to remove, if it doesn't all come off just do a second pass.

Lots of polish remover is 100% acetone. It works well

It's not really possible to leave acetone on a disc for too long. It evaporates extremely quickly.

It is possible to smear/burn the stamp color "permanently" into some plastics, especially star-type. To prevent this, wipe the disc with alchohol first. While the disc is still wet, apply acetone. This slows the drying of the disc and allows the stamp material to come off more cleanly.

Lots of polish remover is 100% acetone. It works well

It's not really possible to leave acetone on a disc for too long. It evaporates extremely quickly.

It is possible to smear/burn the stamp color "permanently" into some plastics, especially star-type. To prevent this, wipe the disc with alchohol first. While the disc is still wet, apply acetone. This slows the drying of the disc and allows the stamp material to come off more cleanly.

Thanks for the alcohol tip, hopefully this helps with future discs because I've had the problem you describe.

I'm not sure if this is dumb luck, but I recently had a WD40 spill on a disc. I rinsed the disk, then wiped it dry, and the stamp was totally gone. Innova G-Star plastic.

I'm not sure if this is dumb luck, but I recently had a WD40 spill on a disc. I rinsed the disk, then wiped it dry, and the stamp was totally gone. Innova G-Star plastic.

I'm not surprised.

I think charcoal lighter fluid is supposed to be effective as well—but I have not tried it.

100% deet will also remove a stamp but it also etches the plastic. Found out the hard way when my opto river was downwind when I sprayed some on before a round.

The last time I sold a used car, I spilled some WD-40 on some engine part accidentally and noticed how quickly the grease came off. Used it to clean the whole engine. Freaking looked brand-new under the hood by the time I was done. That was seven years ago, I still use WD-40 as a desperation cleaning product (when nothing else works) to this day

Last edited:

Latest posts