• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Place to Live if You Love Disc Golf

There are a ton of underserved rural areas, and places that would be hard to install a quality course, but of the places I've been downtown Chicago is abysmal.

Tons of good courses in IL and southern WI but nothing actually in Chicago.

Here in Windsor, Ontario you have about a 100 close courses in SE Michigan (right across the Detroit river), but the closest in Canada is over 2 hours away(yes I'm trying to change this). So, it is be a terrible place IF you don't have a passport since you are constantly tempted by the sheer number of courses that are so close yet so far away.

There are a ton of underserved rural areas, and places that would be hard to install a quality course, but of the places I've been downtown Chicago is abysmal.

Illinois Institute of Technology. It's just South of Downtown. Outside of that, there's 58 within 25 miles of Millenium Park / Museum district. That actually rivals Charlotte for quantity and the course closest to downtown is a mile closer.

Pecos, TX.

The access to courses could technically be worse, but there's apparently zero active disc golf scene.

I was just there for a week on work. There's actually a decent course about an hour away in Fort Stockton. I went to check it out one evening and it's a nice city park -- mowed grass, some trees, some elevation changes. They had decent tee boxes and signage and even some benches. The only thing that was missing was people!

I was there from about 5:30-6:30 pm on a Tuesday evening (couldn't throw :mad: but walked through a good number of holes to check it out). I didn't see a single person out there throwing a disc. If that course was in Billings, at that time of day it would have had dozens and dozens of people on it.

FWIW, I also visited a few shops in Ft Stockton and the only golf discs for sale was the classic 3-disc Innova starter pack. Not much selection!

In the US I would have to say remote places in Alaska, can't see much DG action under 6 feet of snow...

Worldwide I would have to say my home country of Scotland, only a handful of courses and none in the largest city (Glasgow)

Illinois Institute of Technology. It's just South of Downtown. Outside of that, there's 58 within 25 miles of Millenium Park / Museum district. That actually rivals Charlotte for quantity and the course closest to downtown is a mile closer.

In addition to the IIT DG course, we also have Edgebrook DGC, which is not a great course by any means because it shares space with ball golfers, but you can rent a cart. Both are technically in Chicago. However, I agree with Moose...if you live in the Loop/downtown Chicago any halfway decent course is not easily accessible.

Also, 58 courses within 25 miles seems like a decent number until you start looking at the details. We might have 3 or 4 that have earned better than a 3 disc rating. FWIW, I only found 30 within the 25 mile range from Millenium Park.:confused:

All these middle of nowhere places sound like they would just be an amazing excuse to build your own course that you could tinker with all you like, all while introducing disc golf to a new group of people who likely have never heard of it before

All these middle of nowhere places sound like they would just be an amazing excuse to build your own course that you could tinker with all you like, all while introducing disc golf to a new group of people who likely have never heard of it before

A very, very small group of new people.

Upper Peninsula of Michigan is pretty sparse...

Its getting there.... Marquette's got two very nice courses, Powder Mill and Silver Creek, I've only played Silver Creek though. Houghton/Calumet has 3, 2 of which are very good courses. Iron River has The Tailings which seems to be well rated, Iron Mountain has I believe three now with the addition of Norway mountain as well, and as far as I can remember without looking Escanaba has at least one decent course.

In Ironwood across the border from where I'm at now, it's an odd situation. I run the 9 hole Mt. Zion course, which only has grass tees and Lightning baskets, but has got a 3/5 rating from four reviews. I can only have it open from April to mid October due to snow and ski hill operations so you cant play year round.

Buuuut you're only a half hour from Highbridge Hills, one hour from Sandy Point or Brandy Lake as well, so it kinda evens out - you can play almost all of them till they're buried in snow.

Last edited:
Its getting there.... Marquette's got two very nice courses, Powder Mill and Silver Creek, only played Silver Creek. Houghton/Calumet has 3, 2 of which are very good courses. Iron River has The Tailings which seems to be well rates, Escanaba has I believe three now with the addition of Norway mountain as well.

In Ironwood across the border from where I'm at now, it's an odd situation. I run the 9 hole Mt. Zion course, which only has grass tees and Lightning baskets, but has got a 3/5 rating from four reviews. I can only have it open from April to mid October due to snow and ski hill operations so you cant play year round.

Buuuut you're only a half hour from Highbridge Hills, one hour from Sandy Point or Brandy Lake as well, so it kinda evens out - you can play almost all of them till they're buried in snow.

My family vacations every year at Lake Gogibic, so I took my girlfriend out to Mt. Zion this August. Very fun 9. Hole 2 in the trees was especially fun. We found 5 discs and were able to return one of them that had a phone #. (Pro Katana with an ace signature on back) Plus, the views were spectacular. Gotta love the UP. Thanks for putting it together, Jeremy. We had a blast.

In the US I would have to say remote places in Alaska, can't see much DG action under 6 feet of snow...

Worldwide I would have to say my home country of Scotland, only a handful of courses and none in the largest city (Glasgow)

There are quite a few good courses in Scotland these days. In the last couple of years there have been a couple solid 18 hole options put in. There are a number of reasonable 9 hole courses as well, with more to come! Glasgow does, in fact, have a 9 hole course in Rosshall Park.

It was Albany NY back in 2007............ two 18 hole courses and a 9er within 40 minute drive for a total of 45 baskets.

Currently we have 163 baskets within 45min and another 54 baskets an additional 30 min out.

Heckscher Forest
Cedar Beach
and the object course at Prospect Park

But yes, it takes some wheels to get to a course.

Kisco and Rutgers are both doable without a car. Some other too if you're willing to work at it.

Latest posts