• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you pay for live coverage now?

Have the players mic'd up?

Funny this was one thing I thought of too, but then idk how it would work with swear words and things of that nature when they are streaming on Youtube. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does I have no idea but that would be kind of neat.

Technically, I don't think they are allowed to swear anyway...

Well you can be called out for swearing if the other players want to. Like Perkins and Nikko from last year.

Technically, I don't think they are allowed to swear anyway...

Well you can be called out for swearing if the other players want to. Like Perkins and Nikko from last year.

Hmmm. My first thought was:
"Now, not only do we get to call foot faults from our armchairs, we get to call courtesy violations too!!"

[/cynicism]

I could see paying $20 for a major tournament if I knew some of the money was going to the top players for winnings. I'm tired of our top pros walking away with $10,000. Two zeros added to that number would be more like it. I believe our top players have the skills and personalities to stand with any other athletes around the world... Wishful thinking I know.

No, reason being, as others have said, is that I don't even watch the live coverage. On a weekend day, outside of being sick or injured, there's no reason I'm going to be sitting around the house watching 4 hours of disc golf or anything for that matter. Given the choice I think a lot of us would taking playing disc golf over watching disc golf.

I'm fine with waiting for the post production and watching it in the evening, I also tend to avoid forums that will be discussing what's happening and especially social media where inevitably some attention whore loves to post spoilers.

Before you flame me I will say that I do like Live Coverage, and I do like the intimate view into the groups you get from it. I did not watch USDGC this year until the following weekend because I was on vacation, so I don't know if it was any different than previous coverage I have seen.

BUT I wouldn't pay for live coverage for 2 reasons and I believe these are the same reasons we don't have a chance at getting it on TV yet.

1) I believe sponsors should pay for production in order to get advertising time. It's not a model that has seen success from disc golf yet but it apparently works for bowling and other niche sports so it should be possible (one day).

2) It doesn't have a positive value prop for me. It's too long and there is too little action to keep my attention while doing other things around the house. Unless your retired with no kids, you probably don't sit and watch any sporting event from beginning to end. The production isn't set up to be contained inside a 3 hour window like you see with the PGA events. It would need to be set up to be more viewer friendly were you are willing to sit through a commercial because you know the action is right around the corner. Or in my case, it needs to be able to pull my attention back in because of the excitement that is being covered. Instant replay was probably the best invention to sports coverage on TV in it's 50? year history. Also part of watching live is to feel like you won't miss out on any of the action around the course regardless of where those players are at.

I would/do pay for Jomez and CCDG. Why? Because it has a positive value prop for me. My dollars go directly to supporting their ability to cover more events and they produce a product that I find entertaining and can watch anytime I want, as many times as I want. I feel like it would still be worth paying for even if we had PGA style live TV coverage.

...there's no reason I'm going to be sitting around the house watching 4 hours of disc golf or anything for that matter. Given the choice I think a lot of us would taking playing disc golf over watching disc golf.

The thing that some people aren't getting is this, if they made it pay-per-view and released it freely to the public 1 week after the event, the peeps that paid for it early wouldn't have to watch all 4 hours in 1 stream live if they didn't want to, watch a few holes, take a break, come back to it later (or the next day) watch a few more, etc, etc. At least...that's how I would see it working. :p

I would not be willing to pay for it either. The quality just isn't there. I tried to watch a couple of events live and very quickly lost interest. Jomez has me spoiled!! Jomez video quality, replays and commentary blows away anything I saw while trying to watch live.

I paid for discgolfplanetTV so yes. I would, and in some small way, I think we all already do. I don't see why we can't have live coverage here and there, AND recorded/edited footage . They are both getting better every year, and please both sides as best they can. I'm only currently a Patreon of one video team, for financial reasons, but with disc golfs continued growth I think we are doing just fine so far.

Would I be slightly envious if I saw that Patreons/paid supporters got to see coverage of a event before I did ? sure, a bit. What about a major? OK, a lot. Would I then pony up say $5 to also be able to watch that major before everyone else? if I could afford it...yup.

But we are a long way from all out PPV. Even based on the tiny vocal subset in this thread , including me :)

No. I rarely if ever watch any disc golf coverage anyway. I would much rather play than watch.

I would not pay for the USDGC coverage, as I didn't care for it.

Once it gets to a high quality stream, and the ability to fully cover at least 2 cards (Min 2 cams on each card) Plus 2 floating cameras to go out and cover developing stories/hot rounds. Then I would start to pay. I would expect to see a majority of the top cards shots, either live, or on a short prerecorded delay because they were showing something else live, or had to get to a reasonable commercial break.

The equipment that Smashboxx has had for their last couple of broadcasts has had some impressive quality.

FWIW, I think Smashboxx/DGPT is a lot closer to what I'm looking for than what USDGC coverage gave us.

Hooter Girls!

Clearly, you didn't watch the Hooterific footage from the Failient event? If you had you wouldn't be suggesting this.

I know this will get me poned, but if the only thing that makes watching a sporting event worth it is scantily clad women, you're probably interested in the wrong sport. Try ice skating? Maybe Rythmic Gymnastics?

For me, live play takes too long to watch...I'd rather just go out play myself.

I enjoy the pre-recorded for the commentary, and because I can pause it. I also like to watch a full tournament in an evening. I like to see who stays on the lead card, and who falls off so maybe a few more cards in between would be nice.

Hooter Girls!

Clearly, you didn't watch the Hooterific footage from the Failient event? If you had you wouldn't be suggesting this.

I know this will get me poned, but if the only thing that makes watching a sporting event worth it is scantily clad women, you're probably interested in the wrong sport. Try ice skating? Maybe Rythmic Gymnastics?

Following the general feel of these forums, I took that Hooters girls suggestion as humor in irony

I like the live coverage, especially for the bigger events. I like the post-production stuff more for reasons mentioned (faster, can watch a whole tourney in an evening, commentary).

Live as is, I wouldn't pay for. I'll wait for Jomez or CCDG. Live coverage of the future (say, at minimum two card coverage with extra shots to fill the voids, not unlike NBC PGA coverage) I would probably pay a handful of Washingtons. If it were more and Jomez was still gunna put out next day stuff, I'd wait.

Live coverage of a tourney would be as bad as playing in one. The pace would be unbearably slow unless you have production like a PGA event with 50 cameras and a highly professional production crew. Probably not in my lifetime.

Highlights are great. Jomez!