• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] X Buzzz smaller diameter

HiFi

Double Eagle Member
I noticed my X Buzzz has a smaller diameter than my GT, or my regular Z, or my 10 year, or my Cryztal FLX, yet on the pdga approved list they do not have it listed separately like the GT and the SS. In other words it should have a legal max weight lower than the others but it does not. Anyone know anything about this?

My X Buzzz is the same Diameter as all of my other Buzzzes...

The material density is probably higher so it weighs more in a smaller size.

Max weight is based on diameter.

@SQUIGGY: I will post a pic later. Maybe I have a freak disc.

Is it domey? If not is the flightplate super firm?

It looks like a regular Buzzz, not too domey at all. Flight plate is pretty firm, not too soft or stiff. Seems like regular X material to me. I bought it last fall, but I'm not sure how long it was on the shelf there.

It flies a bit differently too, kind of like a shorter Teebird. More of an S in the flight. Not that I'm complaining.

Last edited:
Weird stuff happens in plastic molding. I highly doubt they are using a different mold for X Buzzzes, it just so happens that X plastic tends to give discs way bigger domes than Z plastic, which likely is related to the diameter issue. I just did a comparison of a recent run pop top X Nuke and a FR Z Nuke and the X has an appreciably smaller diameter too. A while ago I noticed my Yeti Aviars were larger in diameter than my KC Pros and DX P&As, despite being listed as the same on the PDGA specs. Likely due to the concavity and the plastic blend, not the mold being a wider diameter.

Different blends just mold up differently, and there's not much any company has been able to do about that yet.

Weird stuff happens in plastic molding. I highly doubt they are using a different mold for X Buzzzes, it just so happens that X plastic tends to give discs way bigger domes than Z plastic, which likely is related to the diameter issue. I just did a comparison of a recent run pop top X Nuke and a FR Z Nuke and the X has an appreciably smaller diameter too. A while ago I noticed my Yeti Aviars were larger in diameter than my KC Pros and DX P&As, despite being listed as the same on the PDGA specs. Likely due to the concavity and the plastic blend, not the mold being a wider diameter.

Different blends just mold up differently, and there's not much any company has been able to do about that yet.

It must have shrunk during cooling or something... It doesn't have a noticeable dome like my newest Z does. I really like the way it flies. Also it has a little bit of a sparkle to it. It's basically grass green with small silver flecks in it. Not flakes, just very small flecks you might not even notice if you didn't look close enough.

shrinkage.jpg

So wierd that this thread just came up...and i apologize for the thread jacking, but i was just considering trying a buzzz in x plastic. I have not seen or felt it. Could someone fill me in on this plastic? Feel, wear, flight, etc. Thanks in advance!

So wierd that this thread just came up...and i apologize for the thread jacking, but i was just considering trying a buzzz in x plastic. I have not seen or felt it. Could someone fill me in on this plastic? Feel, wear, flight, etc. Thanks in advance!

It's not as durable as Z, but it's miles ahead of the Pro-D plastic. I would say it's more durable than Innova's Star, but below Z.

Grip is good, flex is about the same as Z but slightly stiffer. The flight I can't really speak for bc this disc seems to fly differently than the other Buzzzes I've thrown, but personally I like it. More glide I guess you could say. Very cool disc imo.

X Plastic:
Shrinks most out of dc lineup. Every mold.
Feels really good. A little softer than ESP.
Beats in moderately slowly
Similar stability to ESP (more stable than Pro-D, less stable than Z)

...what teebirds are you throwing?

Glow champ, Star, Champion. Also started playing 13 or 14 years ago with a SE Teebird. It's a gentle S not a winding one. Maybe you don't throw them hard enough =P

At any rate:

image_zps261cf06c.jpg

I assume the X Buzzz is the one in the middle? That's a big size difference.

To me that looks like something beyond cooling but I am no polymer expert.