• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

-Y U no buy from Marketplace?-

I use the locals here. I have discndat about 10 minutes from the house and the pro shop at Mt. Airy 30 minutes from the house. What one may not have generally the other will. I prefer to give to the locals more than someone online.

I'd use it more if Sales, Trades, and Wanted threads had their own individual sub-forums.

Yes, that's a moderators worst night mare, but the main thread's popularity has gotten to the point were a thread that hasn't had a reply in 24 hours is burried to page 6.

So basically every seller, unless they choose to sticky, is hoping their thread gets noticed within 15 minutes of posting and some sales are made, or else they have to wait 24 hours to bump and try again for another 15 minutes.

It gets tiresome. So some will create a new thread with the same exact post to get around the 24 hour bump ban.

No system is perfect, i know, i know.

I'd use it more if Sales, Trades, and Wanted threads had their own individual sub-forums.

Yes, that's a moderators worst night mare, but the main thread's popularity has gotten to the point were a thread that hasn't had a reply in 24 hours is burried to page 6.

So basically every seller, unless they choose to sticky, is hoping their thread gets noticed within 15 minutes of posting and some sales are made, or else they have to wait 24 hours to bump and try again for another 15 minutes.

It gets tiresome. So some will create a new thread with the same exact post to get around the 24 hour bump ban.

No system is perfect, i know, i know.

Not to mention that getting a bump from someone who PMs you is near impossible. I appreciate the interest, but the way threads get buried, a bump is just common courtesy.

you guys do know there is a search feature right? I see a lot of people saying they dont want to look through pages of stuff to find what they want.. just type in the name of said disc and hit enter.. poof . With that said im all about buying local too I just dont have anywhere thats not an hour + drive so MP is home for me :)

The search sucks. Type in a disc you want and it pulls every single thread it is mentioned, most of the time it is not being sold but being offered as a trade by someone posting in the Sell/Trade thread of a different disc.

So yeah, search will narrow it down from 2,000 threads to 1,000 threads. :thmbdown:

I don't mind paying for membership, or for shipping, or any of that. Like many others, I like to buy local. Buying discs from someone's garage (when that someone is Lowell Shields or Scott Papa) means that you're supporting someone who supports the sport. Or I buy online because it's convenient. I'm not a collector. I have a few worthless first runs on the shelf, and that's it.

But my biggest problem with the marketplace, and the thing that's keeping me from getting a membership and joining you people, is this: I know precisely what I want. But every time I hop on and search for it, two or three threads pop up and I see that I'm too late. Somebody else has already bought it. I get that I can post a "wanted" thread, but why bother? I can pay $10 extra and "buy it now" on Ebay rather than hope that I get lucky enough to PM somebody for a disc before anyone else does.

I'm not a fan of the sale threads that link to Google documents or Flicker. I would rather see the discs listed in your thread and a link for better pictures.
I don't even click the links anymore.

I don't buy used discs from the marketplace if it is cheaper to buy the same disc new from Discgolfcenter. Also,people need to stop using the word cheap in the title.

I'm not a collector or into OOP discs.

I am trying to spend less money on discs, so it has to be the right disc to get me to buy - this is my main reason for not buying discs all the time.

*When I use the forum I only use the "All New Posts" button. I open most sale threads to see what is for sale, the less views/replies the more likely I am to open it.

The MP has turned into a bunch of seller threads of all the same stuff. I want to trade for discs I haven't tried not look at 30 threads selling roc3s and old Cal molded teebirds.

I started using the MP last year but Ive pretty much stopped using it over the past couple months. I dont mind buying from the MP but Ive found that I can usually get a brand new disc from Community or Disc Golf Center for a dollar or two more, and its less risky.

Ive given up on selling and trading mainly because I dont have the time to create and update threads, and packaging/shipping discs doesnt seem to be worth how much Im making on a disc.

It seems lately that there are a lot less new threads and more of the same sellers "re-packaging" their old threads.

Never used it here. I throw limited molds and I avoid boutique discs. For me there is a huge value in walking into any store and buying the disc I just lost. There are 2 or 3 discs I would except from that, such as the telemark Roc or the GCC Wraith(already bought one elsewhere).

If I could find a GCC Roc near max weight that wasn't a billion dollars I would probably get it. But that's about it. It is very hard for a new mold to fit in my bag and the guy I play with the most tests discs for a store so he tells me if there is one that I might like. That's how the Saints made it in the bag.

I tend to sell discs that I can make $10 or more on. I dont like to sell a disc for 8 dollars and only end up with 5 after packaging and shipping costs. Not worth my time answer all the PM and the back and forth for a few bucks. I would rather take them to PIAS and trade them for $3 a piece and get something else.

you guys do know there is a search feature right? I see a lot of people saying they dont want to look through pages of stuff to find what they want.. just type in the name of said disc and hit enter.. poof .
For the purpose at hand, the standard search engine is highly inefficient. Being able to filter by mold, plastic, color, weight, seller, condition, price, etc. with a single query would be the way to go.

We already have somewhat of a precedence for this in the disc organizer. If we had a similar feature for the MP, I would be more willing to use it.

I'm too tired to read the thread.

BUT, I will use the marketplace eventually. My collection of discs is growing and trades are getting pointless due to no one having stuff I want or need for the collection. I won't be buying much unless it fancies my interest, which right now I'm not a collector, I don't put stuff on the wall, I don't like much of what most other people like. It's just easier to stay out of the pit until I'm ready. At this moment, I'm just browsing it to see what's out there.

For the purpose at hand, the standard search engine is highly inefficient. Being able to filter by mold, plastic, color, weight, seller, condition, price, etc. with a single query would be the way to go.

We already have somewhat of a precedence for this in the disc organizer. If we had a similar feature for the MP, I would be more willing to use it.

That would be great, but that would require a huge revamp of the marketplace to standardize things. I would love to see it happen though. Some people's threads are so unorganized I don't bother looking for anything.

i agree that would be killer.. i think half the fun of the marketplace is going through all the threads and looking for hidden gems and what not but to each his own but your right it would make it much easier... even more so with so many "small" name molds coming out lately .. PD, TD, D1-D4, etc.

I'd like the search to find those short names too. If more folks found it easier to find what they want I could unload my stuff and buy more of other people's ****.

That would be worth the $5 I recently spent.

That would be great, but that would require a huge revamp of the marketplace to standardize things. I would love to see it happen though. Some people's threads are so unorganized I don't bother looking for anything.
The marketplace is more like one of those crazy open air markets where everyone is screaming... or the trading floor on wall street. You sort of have to know or be willing to learn the game to participate. There's a lot of chatter to sift through.

Being able to filter by mold, etc. would be really nice but that would make it a completely different experience akin to browsing classified ads or amazon and would also take it out of the forum as I'd have to use a separate software package. Also, posting an ad would take way longer if you had to punch in all the discs one by one. There are pluses and minuses to each approach depending on which you prefer.

A few tips:
There is a filter at the bottom of the thread listing in the marketplace if you only want to see Sale threads, Wanted, etc.

You can use Google to search the marketplace for anything. In the google search box under the "Search" submenu in the forum type in "marketplace xyz" without the quotes where xyz is whatever you're looking for, like DX Roc. Then you can use the search options on Google to limit that to results from the past few days and you're good to go.

This is definitely a pitfall of the MP, but some people learn to love it. I think a lot of the disorganization originates with lazy sellers who don't want to make a new thread each time they sell something. I have learned to ignore posts that clearly have been active for a long time (# of views is a good hint) simply because I assume I already looked at the thread and didn't want anything. I don't care if you put something like, "Check back often" or "Updated often" in your title. It's stupid.

Because its a super cluttered disorganized mess. I don't want to have to sift through 200 threads to find something I would perhaps want, or have to continually bump my own thread to keep it from dropping an entire page every hour. Even Craigslist has some modicum of a search to help sort things out.

Searching is very simple. If you want a disc, type the name in the search and browse threads that it's mentioned it.

This. I have frequently searched the marketplace - functionally window shopping for discs. It's not disorganized if you're looking for a specific mold. That said, I have never purchased anything from the MP and may never. Here's my reasons.

I also throw only one disc that is OOP, an SE Rhyno. I don't feel like paying what it would cost to replace one - $40-45ish and like northward at MP, and $60+ on eBay - and that is what I would see myself using the marketplace for, buying OOP discs. B/c I can't see myself replacing the one OOP disc I throw, I don't have a reason to use it. If I threw now or grew up throwing KC Pro Teebirds, etc. or 11x Eagles, CE discs, etc. then I would use it often to accumulate my stack. But I don't and I didn't. I did for a long time throw TP Cyclones, but I have moved on from those (to Eagles).

I also don't have a decent store near me (very basic Innova/Discraft offerings despite decent amount of volume of those basic models), but I research discs very thoroughly, read threads about them, and just put in my first order to Marshall Street (and the factory store, buying the new Pro Rhynos which I believe will eventually replace my SE Rhyno). I couldn't be happier with what arrived. All are in-production discs that are readily available via the interwebs. I also know that if I need something specific that is in-production, I can call MST and they'll do what they can to fill my needs. Same with Gateway if I ever fall in love with Wizards, etc.

I'm also re-learning the game, understanding how discs wear, and throw a lot of base plastic. Many of the discs on the MP are used to some degree, and that hampers my learning if I pick up something without an understanding of how much it has been used.

I think that is it. It's great to have here, but I do not have any use for it right now. I could see myself getting into 11x Teebirds, Eagles and Firebirds, and I want to throw an ESP Comet one of these days, but not now and maybe never. I just overhauled my bag, I'm set for a while.

Good topic b3nder.

Last edited: