• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

-Y U no buy from Marketplace?-

...(not looking for "didn't want to spend the 5 bucks on a crown", that answer is ridiculous, as it hasn't been around that long)...

I used to when it was free. Call me a biatch if you want but I won't pay to use the marketplace. For the number of hours I have spent discovering and posting new course, taking/uploading pictures, updating hole info, adding links and files, changing picture orders proper on random course, etc... I won't pay money out of my pocket on top of that. I can just trade/buy at local shops and with people on the course if I REALLY need something.

With that being said, it doesn't bother me I cant use it. Just having a website with reference as accurate as this is more than enough. This place is like a second home to me, and if it got shut down, or I got banned or something, I would LOSE MY MIND! :)

Just my 2 cent..

Last edited:
This place is like a second home to me, and if it got shut down, or I got banned or something, I would LOSE MY MIND! :)
Five dollars is more important than the potential loss of your sanity?

You only need to pay it to create new threads anyway. You can still shop and post in existing threads all you want.

Five dollars is more important than the potential loss of your sanity?

You only need to pay it to create new threads anyway. You can still shop and post in existing threads all you want.

Lol. No I said if the website itself got shut down I would go insane. I could care less about the marketplace.

In response to the OP I am a disc hoarder with not enough money to spend on discs period. I prefer to suppot my local shops and or pros when I do buy discs. I can't get rid of discs because I may change my mind on what I am throwing right now and want to go to a different manufacturer. Blah, the vicious cycle that it is. Maybe if I sold some discs I would have money to buy the discs that I really want? Someone needs to send me a private message and convince me that I should start selling my discs.

Lol. No I said if the website itself got shut down I would go insane. I could care less about the marketplace.

I hear you. I paid for my membership despite rarely using the marketplace as a way to help pay for the bandwidth I waste from hitting the "All New Posts" link all day long. Being able to create a thread in the MP is just a bonus.

I don't use the marketplace anymore because people overvalue their crap discs, and waaaaay overvalue their semi-nice discs.

never had any problems other than feedback not being done sometimes. but that doesn't mean the marketplace isn't awesome. I love it.

I think it's the mods that make it tough. ;)

Buying local is best but for more rare discs this IS the place!

It used to be but not anymore. I see all and just about any rare disc I want on Facebook. And the people there are much more knowledgeable about discs.

I'm not flaming, over the past 6 months all those groups are winning out over the MP here.

I live in Kansas City so I like to go to either Disc Golf World or DD and hand pick my discs and there is no shipping. It just seems a lot easier.

Never bought from the MP or ebay. I've got a stack of discs that I'd like to get rid of but it pretty much is a hassle to take the time to take pics and make a thread to try and sell my stock discs that I just don't want. I don't collect, but I do like to try new molds, so I get a lot of plastic.... some of which I like and some of which I don't. It just seems like the MP is a good place to find collector discs or OOP plastic, but maybe not so much completely stock discs that have gotten thrown a handful of times that I just didn't like.

Maybe I'm making assumptions that I shouldn't, but I just imagine that the people who are serious enough buyers to either search through threads to find specific discs or even get through the first few pages of information overload are not really going to pay a premium to pick up anything I'm wanting to get rid of. Not enough to get more than $5 after shipping and everything for a disc I paid $15 for new.

I used to trade in the Marketplace, but once it went pay to play, I lost interest. Not just the cost, but it was cumbersome.

That said, I've got a ton of discs I need to get rid of so I'm reconsidering.

Because its a super cluttered disorganized mess. I don't want to have to sift through 200 threads to find something I would perhaps want, or have to continually bump my own thread to keep it from dropping an entire page every hour. Even Craigslist has some modicum of a search to help sort things out.

I'm in this camp. Takes too long to sift through.

:hfive: for getting timg to chime in :D

Also, I agree that the number of stickies has went up, but that is good in terms of site support as it helps generate revenue for timg to continue to host the site :)

I used to when it was free. Call me a biatch if you want but I won't pay to use the marketplace. For the number of hours I have spent discovering and posting new course, taking/uploading pictures, updating hole info, adding links and files, changing picture orders proper on random course, etc... I won't pay money out of my pocket on top of that. I can just trade/buy at local shops and with people on the course if I REALLY need something.

With that being said, it doesn't bother me I cant use it. Just having a website with reference as accurate as this is more than enough. This place is like a second home to me, and if it got shut down, or I got banned or something, I would LOSE MY MIND! :)

Just my 2 cent..

Also, though I'm sure it been pointed out, you can still USE the marketplace, you just can't start a thread in the M.P. without the 5 dollar minimum donation.

I'm set in what I like to throw and am very specific when it comes to discs, especially how they feel in my hand. Call me old school, but I like to see and hold something before I purchase it.

Also for the O.P.----

I've never even SEEN the marketplace.

This website is fabulous, in part because there are so many features, and so many discussions, that there's bound to be something for everyone. For myself, the marketplace isn't it. I'm not into owning or trying a huge number of discs, and I've accumulated enough from tournaments to keep me overstocked. So I've never bought used discs....never bought any discs online, anywhere.....heck, I co-own a small disc golf store and only once in the past few years have I "bought" a new disc for myself from it (when the blizzards first came out).

Latest posts