• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You Kansas guys are crazy

If you don't play in the wind then you wish you were playing. Might as well enjoy a round of golf despite the conditions.

I'm right across the river from Kansas, and I love the wind. I also love when people from calm places come play in our tournaments. =D
Back in "the day" we didn't get many Kansas guys at tournament in St. Louis (there was a weird St. Louis/Kansas City thing) but we used to get the Oklahoma guys. We used to run a C tier weekend Jefferson Barracks on Saturday/Sioux Passage on Sunday and the OK guys would spend all Saturday cursing the trees at JB and looking like non-factors for the weekend. Then we would get out to the wide-open spaces at Sioux on Sunday and they would just crush bombs. The windier the better; they had bags full of Whippets, Vipers and Rams and they could torque monkey the living crap out of those things. They would tear us up on our own course.

It was simple to understand; when it got windy we went and played our wooded courses. Nobody went to Sioux if it was windy unless there was an event and they had to. Those OK guys didn't have a choice, they threw wide-open course in the wind or they didn't throw. If they caught us out at Sioux on a windy day, it was all over.

A few courses I play on a regular basis are occasionally slightly (10-15 mph) windy: Hiller Park in Biloxi, Ann Mo in Boise, North Bonneville in WA. Hidden Cove in AZ was the windiest I ever played: in the partly-sheltered parking lot I clocked a high of 28 mph.

Used to have a Star Max for windy drives, but got spoiled in Portland by having too many good options on windy days. Now I'll throw a Surge---or a whole lotta rollers.

Last edited:
A few courses I play on a regular basis are occasionally slightly (10-15 mph) windy: Hiller Park in Biloxi, Ann Mo in Boise, North Bonneville in WA. Hidden Cove in AZ was the windiest I ever played: in the partly-sheltered parking lot I clocked a high of 28 mph.

Used to have a Star Max for windy drives, but got spoiled in Portland by having too many good options on windy days. Now I'll throw a Surge---or a whole lotta rollers.

28mph? that's it? seriously it's blowing that hard right now in Nebraska at 8am. the cool thing about playing in wind is you can absolutely CRUSH the course on calm days. 10-15 is very normal for around here, but we really don't consider that "windy". and yeah, I suck pretty badly at 28+ myself....

Played a Zephyr wolf round in 15 / 20 mph winds on the short layout of my home course a few weeks ago. Was one of the funnest rounds I've played in years ��

Lifetime Nebraskan here who recently moved to Utah. While 30mph sustained/40 mph gusts is pretty tough to play in even if you're used to it (ESPECIALLY for putting), I kind of miss having that normal 15-20mph wind to deal with. With the wind coming from different directions on different days, it gives the course a lot of variety without changing basket placements; courses play differently depending on the direction and amount of wind on any particular day. Variety is the spice of life after all, even wind!

It was that little nine hole course in Brighton.

It was nuts for us up here in Boulder yesterday too. I was going to get some field practice in after work, but quickly changed my plans.

I've been in Colorado since 94, and I've noticed that it's much windier here than it used to be in years past.

I actually like the extra windy days once and awhile. It can be super fun. I throw shots I would never throw otherwise and going for stuff instead of playing safe in the wind is amazing.

Everyday however is a different story. Can't say I would be out there enjoying myself in 4 rounds of a tournament with that kind of wind.

28mph? that's it? seriously it's blowing that hard right now in Nebraska at 8am. the cool thing about playing in wind is you can absolutely CRUSH the course on calm days. 10-15 is very normal for around here, but we really don't consider that "windy". and yeah, I suck pretty badly at 28+ myself....

Oh, I've been to courses where it was blowing 35-40 mph, but a few throws showed us the futility of our endeavors --- so we went hunting microbrews instead. :p

I like trees/whitewater too much to live in the plains, so I only rarely experience such adverse conditions for discing. Except rain cause, you know, Oregon.

Last edited:
I've been in Colorado since 94, and I've noticed that it's much windier here than it used to be in years past.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember much wind here until maybe five or ten years ago. It's like living in Wyoming.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember much wind here until maybe five or ten years ago. It's like living in Wyoming.

My ex-girlfriend went to college in Wyoming and said she'll never return because of the wind. But even she admits Colorado is different now and she was born here.

Now I'm curious which one it is.
He's wrong. He's always wrong. Even the area that would become the state of Texas had a 2.37 Yelp rating in 1716, two years before San Antonio was even founded. In 1836, when Texas became an independent nation, they climbed up to a solid 3.0 rating however it continued to go downhill from there. In 1845 Texas joined the US Union at a measly 1.54 and today they remain fairly consistently as a lone star hovering between .086 and 1.12.

He's wrong. He's always wrong. Even the area that would become the state of Texas had a 2.37 Yelp rating in 1716, two years before San Antonio was even founded. In 1836, when Texas became an independent nation, they climbed up to a solid 3.0 rating however it continued to go downhill from there. In 1845 Texas joined the US Union at a measly 1.54 and today they remain fairly consistently as a lone star hovering between .086 and 1.12.

But Yelp back then was more a poll every year sent by mail from Time subscribers. It was as best the people could do until the internet came about. :D

Latest posts