• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your best sidearm disc?

Achasteen

I am currently using a Champion Tern for throwing sidearm. I am trying find a better disc. Sometimes it rolls on me or doesn't fade much. What is your "go-to" disc for throwing sidearm? I am really hoping to perfect my throw this year.

Nearly every disc is a good sidearm disc.

EDIT I read your post wrong.........If you are getting the disc to both roll, and to fade too much...those are completely opposite problems and because of inconsistent throwing. That being said higher speed discs like the Tern will do this stuff more drastically on bad releases, so it's actually kind of good for really apparent feedback on bad throws. The downside to the Tern is that it can be shallow/uncomfortable for some people's FH grips, and it is high speed so you have to throw it pretty hard..........

Edit: Ok if the Tern is too understable then a Shryke is a good step up as a high speed driver and still great for max D. I still suggest the below discs for overall use and consistency.

If you want to get clean sidearm throws I think the Verdict is a great disc to add to the bag. You can approach with it and also throw good FH lasers with it. It's only a midrange so you may only feel comfortable throwing it shorter distances at first, but I can use it for lasers to 275' or so FH. It is stable enough to trust but slow enough that you need decent form.

For drivers a Teebird or Thunderbird is stable enough to handle a hard FH but not so fast that you have to throw it 100% all the time.

Really though, try every disc you have FH. But going Verdict to Teebird/Thunderbird to Tern should give you all the distance ranges you need and you can adjust from there.

Best forehand disc for what? Max distance, control?

How far are you throwing your Tern?

Every disc is a forehand disc.

If it rolls over/doesnt fade much, it seems that your Tern could be a bit understable for you. In my eyes the best discs for a controlled sidearm is anything overstable, as it feels similar to a "normal" throw. My go to forehand(only) discs are currently: Stiletto, Firebird, Harp, Berg (by distance). You will need a high armspeed to throw them properly.

Problem with that is it's gonna mask your flaws throwing overstable discs forehand. I CAN roll over and still push a firebird 320', but that's not helping me throw a 350' turnover with a leopard.

Recommend a neutral fairway. FD, TL, EL, or something similar that will fly dead straight if thrown properly. Firebirds are great, I just rotated in a fresh one on the cycle, but throwing an overstable disc every time will only cause embed form flaws, if you aren't throwing clean.

I don't buy a lot of discs. I normally throw backhand with a Discmania FD. I have laser straight control with the FD backhand. I just discovered throwing front hand and am getting more distance (but less control) with the Tern. I'm not really needing control though, just distance.

I don't know how far I throw exactly. I would estimate 200+ ft backhand with the FD and 250+ with the Tern front hand. My form is inconsistent on the front hand though. I sometimes anhyzer, throwing it more like a baseball and it going into a roller. It will pop up and start s-curving, but it does not always have a strong fade. Sometimes I have big beautiful s-curve throws with the Tern though. It's a great disc, but not quite perfect.

I like the way distance drivers feel throwing front hand. It feels weird throwing putters/midrange/fairway drivers sidearm. This disc will be for pure distance off the tee in the wide open. Placement is not important. I usually go for a hole-in-2 with my FD afterwards.

Last edited:
Throw the FD. Seriously you will benefit from it. While you are at it throw your putters forehand as well. Not kidding it will help you a lot. Good form gets distance, don't try to throw it hard, just smooth.

What he said ^^^^^

At that distance, I would drop the Tern.

Practice with your mids, slow down and work on your form and release, you'll be better off in the long run discing down instead of using crutch discs.

The FD is a really nice hyzer-flip forehand laser beem.

I agree with everyone, keep working with the FD and the Tern. You're not flipping them over from the velocity, it's from unclean form. I can hyzer flip an FD to about 330ish with a FH release...it is a touchier shot than smashing on a Thunderbird so I don't use it on the course often, but the point is if it's thrown clean it can handle it.

With those two discs you know they will turn a touch, so error on the hyzer side of things. This will make sure you don't roll over to an anhyzer release and get those accidental rollers. Let the disc pop up and do the work with the glide.

Man I tell you what, learn to hyzerflip those understable discs on forehand lines and watch your friends be BLOWN AWAY! Nothing like busting out a Leo/river/roadrunner/pick your flavor and mashing a 320' hyzerflip turnover in the woods that they CANT hit backhand. It's a whole other line, diversity your game! Work the neutral to understable stuff and have fun with it!

I might suggest something in between the Tern and FD, such as a Sidewinder or Valkyrie, both helped my FH controlled distance. I can get 300 out of either on a nearly dead straight line, with my max FH distance good for about 350-375 with a Star Destroyer, but I really have to crank on it to get it up to speed, but I really don't have clean form, just some nice touch/grip combo.

What do you have for mids and putters? Those make great FH teaching discs especially those that very neutral, such as Buzzzes and Aviars. I spent a bunch of time working on FH approaches with putters and can comfortably say, that anything I can BH I can also FH.

Teebird! If you don't have one, you need one anyway... it's not Firebird overstable, but it's also not flippy. High speed drivers (yup a Tern is high speed) as well as overstable discs tend to breed bad habits in a throw, especially a forehand. Try the FD, but what plastic is it? If it's baseline I bet I wouldn't like to throw it forehand. I agree with the thought of finding something in between, and a Star or Champ Valkyrie, Z Heat, Avenger SS, or Sidewinder wouldn't be bad.

Also, don't give up on mids and putters. Try to throw them smoothly at relatively short distances (I see guys forehand a putter from one basket to the next tee all the time). The wrist action actually shouldn't be that different, so if you get mids/putters figured out, or an ultimate frisbee, then it can translate over to drivers.

I don't buy a lot of discs. I normally throw backhand with a Discmania FD. I have laser straight control with the FD backhand. I just discovered throwing front hand and am getting more distance (but less control) with the Tern. I'm not really needing control though, just distance.

I don't know how far I throw exactly. I would estimate 200+ ft backhand with the FD and 250+ with the Tern front hand. My form is inconsistent on the front hand though. I sometimes anhyzer, throwing it more like a baseball and it going into a roller. It will pop up and start s-curving, but it does not always have a strong fade. Sometimes I have big beautiful s-curve throws with the Tern though. It's a great disc, but not quite perfect.

I like the way distance drivers feel throwing front hand. It feels weird throwing putters/midrange/fairway drivers sidearm. This disc will be for pure distance off the tee in the wide open. Placement is not important. I usually go for a hole-in-2 with my FD afterwards.

Typically, backhand is better for distance and forehand is better for control. It's easier (well, more possible, easier depends on your coordination) to get your whole body into a backhand and thus more distance. Forehands allow you to face the target during the whole throw and are less affected by poor footing so they tend to be better for precision. So know right away that you're being unorthodox (not saying that's a bad thing).

When I started out I also liked how wide rimmed drivers felt for forehand. But I also had a really flimsy grip that was mostly pinching the wing of the disc more than the rim/flight plate so yeah. I'd study some FH dominant players and mimic whoever's grip that feels best to you. Everyone's advice is spot-on. Learn to FH the FD as well as putters and mids as they'll require clean form to fly. You can keep forehanding the Tern as well, you'll just need to learn how to hyzer flip it smooth for the distance you want. If you're going to continue FHing for distance then you're better off learning how to hyzer flip an understable distance driver instead of getting an overstable distance driver which will ingrain bad habits like strong arming it on a dirty flex line.

Lots of advice here but slowplastic's endorsement of the Verdict is on point. It is my go-to forehand disc and has been for a long time, also my go-to overhand disc. I can't throw it 275 like he can but can get it out to 250. Mostly I use it for approaches though; it's amazingly accurate from 150 or so. Lately, I've been throwing the lightweight Tesla I got with PDGA membership. It's 146g. I threw one today about 270 (slightly downhill though) and a couple others close to that. I've also been working with OS putters for approaches, like the Caltrop and Jokeri. My results vary right now because my form is not the best but it's improving daily because I've been working on it a lot. No matter which disc you choose, practice is the key.

I don't throw the sidearm much, and rarely ever off the tee. When I go to the flick it's the harp or the felon in my hand these days. I'm not a big distance sidearm thrower 200'-250' meathook shots and approaches only inside 150'.

All good advice... as an overmold fan with a developing forehand... my goto is a 150g Photon in fission plastic, plenty stable but easy to start getting the right flight even underpowered. Throw your putter and Roadrunner forehand it helps.

Consider a light Firebird too, as an overstable utility disc it does forehand, thumbers and can be used backhand. It was one disc I should have tried sooner but I was too busy with new technology to check out a proven classic mold.

11 time FAF Firebird. Goes dead straight now with a small fade at the end of flight. Took years of tree strikes to straighten the darn thing out. Stamps long gone, rim is now smooth and rounded, kinda sexy now that I describe it.... Breaking in a new FAF current production Firebird, going to take a while.......Meat hook currently, the other started out that way as well. I have other disc I can throw further, just not as accurately. Wind is not an issue, pretty much the go to get out of trouble disc.