• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Your Favorite Roller (Distance)

I was asking as I've never really thrown rollers other than just messing around. So to simplify, a too beat roller would tip over and die sooner than a not too beat roller?

Yup. The tricky balancing act is that a "not too beat" roller will be harder to get to the ground at the right angle. So its very much a personal preference/feel thing

grabbed a mongoose with some store credit I had.

Not loving it for rollers yet

Right now I typically throw FH and BH rollers with either a beat D Challenger, beat Meteor, beat Mantis (like a faster leo), or a NukeSS which is the only disc I only throw for rollers. A Heat would work very well if I wanted another dedicated roller disc because new they're already a little bit more understable than my beat mantis, they're basically a roadrunner copy with a nice dome. If I want a very powerful max distance straighter roller I throw a beat Crank which is considerably less understable than my NukeSS. For FH rollers I also sometimes use very overstable discs for a much straighter roller, or any disc really. I don't have a nasty flippy roller disc that would work well from a very flat BH release.

I've got a 175 Proton Insanity on the way. Maybe one of the prettiest discs I've ever ordered. I hope it flies like a longer/faster Comet and can fill my roller duties. If not, I think I'm heading into Roadrunner territory.

I was asking as I've never really thrown rollers other than just messing around. So to simplify, a too beat roller would tip over and die sooner than a not too beat roller?

I don't really think a roller can be too beat in. It's a non-roller that gets beat in and becomes a good roller. The theory is that colliding with trees and your buddies' foreheads eventually bows the edge of the disc down, which makes it more understable. If a disc becomes too understable, thrown on even a slight anhyzer it turns over onto its edge and becomes a roller. I've never heard of too much understability making a roller unusable, but I'm not that experienced. I'd think, though, that once it's rolling on its edge, under/over stability isn't much of an issue at that point. Or am I wrong? Guys?

I don't really think a roller can be too beat in. It's a non-roller that gets beat in and becomes a good roller. The theory is that colliding with trees and your buddies' foreheads eventually bows the edge of the disc down, which makes it more understable. If a disc becomes too understable, thrown on even a slight anhyzer it turns over onto its edge and becomes a roller. I've never heard of too much understability making a roller unusable, but I'm not that experienced. I'd think, though, that once it's rolling on its edge, under/over stability isn't much of an issue at that point. Or am I wrong? Guys?

Air stability still matters on the ground. What you need to do though is just land the roller at more of an angle to compensate for the higher under stability.

grabbed a mongoose with some store credit I had.

Not loving it for rollers yet

I have a new white icon one that's more overstable and hard to get down on a roller, my FR blue icon is MUCH easier to roll.. i assume the white one wil just need more work before it gets to the stability of the blue one.

I've never heard of too much understability making a roller unusable, but I'm not that experienced. I'd think, though, that once it's rolling on its edge, under/over stability isn't much of an issue at that point. Or am I wrong? Guys?

Rolling disc stability mimics air shot stability in a way. So a super flippy roller disc is going to want to keep on flipping once it hits the ground, falling over onto its flight plate very quickly and robbing you of distance. You CAN compromise by landing it on a less severe angle, but that becomes an extremely touchy shot as you're trying to nail like 3 or 4 different angles in one shot. It also makes for a wider "S" type roll path, which brings more variables into play that way as well.

You can definitely shape different roller lines with different stabilities of discs and yeah, an understable disc is much harder to get distance with than a stable disc. Sure, you can put a really flippy disc on an extreme angle to get maximum distance but much like trying to throw a max D air shot with a very flippy disc, that's a very touchy shot.

My longest rollers are generally with beat Destroyers. Rocs also roll surprisingly far because they just roll so darn straight.

I've always had my longest distance rollers with a beat over stable disc. I have a really old firebird that is super understable at speed so I find it easy to get down but once its rolling it doesn't flip over till its totally out of gas.
it's been a strange summer around ohio. The grass is so green and thick I haven't been throwing as many rollers.