• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Bag / Discs

DeanMoriarty

Do Not Disturb
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just curious if anyone still has their first DG bag and set of discs they played with when they first started out.

I found mine the other day and was absolutely surprised by the fact that 1. I never lost a single disc when I played during my first year (I smoked a ton of weed and drank a lot while playing and would occasionally drunkenly shank my disc into oblivion) and 2. I had absolutely zero clue about any of the discs I was throwing.

My original bag was one of those small, cheap Disc Mate bags that I got at an Academy Sports and Outdoors in Webster, TX.
DwxYyvN.jpg

The three putters I used were an unknown black blank putter which I thought was a UB Lex for the longest time but turns out it's not. Then I thought it was a Pure as I was keen on Latitude 64 back then but I'm still not 100% sure. My second putter was a 1080 Radius which I heard is literally a Warlock but in premium plastic. My third putter is an old/first? run Latitude 64 Sinus SP that was so freaking flexible, I could fold it into a ball like a Blowfly which I did many times to get a laugh out of my friends.
sOGINXB.jpg

I actually never bought a midrange but found an old second run? Elite-Z Buzzz on the ground but hardly ever threw it because I didn't like the way it felt for forehands. And last but not least, the drivers I threw were a really weird, extremely domey Latitude 64 Primitus which was my least thrown driver for obvious reasons (it sucked), an Opto plastic Vision which again, didn't throw that often for some reason, a First Run Star Xcaliber which was my main driver I threw 80% of the time and a Star Max which was my driver I'd pretty much only throw for open field shots on windy days. As you can probably tell, I had ZERO clue about flight numbers or even what discs were used for what.
NasekvS.jpg

But yea, that was my bag that I played with for my first 1 and a half/2 years before I quit for 10+ years. I wish I could remember what website I ordered those discs from but 2007 was a longggg time ago.

I was a one disc wonder for the first several years that I played. Laughed at people with bags thinking I could make my one disc, usually a Gazelle or Cyclone, cover all the shots that I needed. Life happened and I didn't play much, if at all, for close to ten years. Got back into it and got serious. First bag was given to me by a friend. A black Discraft bag, held maybe 12. It's since been passed on to someone else and no clue what or where the original bag filling discs are. Since then, I've acquired several bags and over 500 discs. So it goes.

I don't even know what my first disc was. It was a yellow, star Innova something. That's literally all I remember. Lost it at Braem park under some thick leaf cover one of the first times playing the course.

Other early discs were a Tie Dye JK champ Valk named Jerry which I still have. That disc was thrown at least once on my first 150 or so courses played, since then retired. Champ Roadrunner, Champ Sidewinder, Champ (again Tie dye) Monarch, Elite X Comet, Z Buzzz, DX Wraith, ABC Discs Flying Squirrel, Elite Z Flick and a Magnet.

Still have most of them. Threw the hell out of that Champ Roadrunner today actually, putting it back in the summer bag actually after almost a decade :hfive:

Now I have 6 bags, a Zuca cart and 700 or so discs. :p

That Sinus looks sweet. TheOtherBill has 2 of the 3 I used to own, Sillybizz has one of my GL Visions too. I still have a couple Visions that look just like Dean's. I should bust those out again when the snows gone, nice discs.

That Sinus looks sweet. TheOtherBill has 2 of the 3 I used to own, Sillybizz has one of my GL Visions too. I still have a couple Visions that look just like Dean's. I should bust those out again when the snows gone, nice discs.

That soft plastic Sinus was/is a cool disc. I'm not sure if all of them were as flexible but I used it mostly when I didn't want to risk my disc bouncing off the cage or chaining out because it grabbed chains so good.

I have zero clue how I never lost that Vision because as you can see in the photo, it's literally a clear disc.. not sure why they'd manufacture them in clear, see through plastic but I figured it had something to do with the name of the disc so I just didn't question it.

I'd put my 1080 back in my bag because to this day, its hands down my favorite putter I've ever thrown but I have an occasional tendency to not pick up my putters off the ground or from the basket and I lost a really cool RFF Wizard that way and a few other putters that were fortunately replaceable unlike the RFF Wizard which you usually have to get lucky to find on eBay nowadays.

Also, is there sub on this forum for posting disc collections? I've got a pretty interesting one going atm and I'd love to share.

EDIT: I forgot that my RFF Wizard was actually stolen out of my bag along with a MF Roc3 I had my first ace with and another disc that I have since forgotten because it wasn't an OOP disc.

Last edited:
I got a couple clear Visions, Northmen, a Stag, LE Buzzz, Some prodigy disc, H3 I think. They sell them to fools like me :p

They stand out better than you'd think actually. But I can't recommend them either lol.

I got a couple clear Visions, Northmen, a Stag, LE Buzzz, Some prodigy disc, H3 I think. They sell them to fools like me :p

They stand out better than you'd think actually. But I can't recommend them either lol.

Is there a sub/thread on this forum for posting disc collections? I got an interesting one going atm that I'd love to share.

Is there a sub/thread on this forum for posting disc collections? I got an interesting one going atm that I'd love to share.

Probably, but I suck at searching on here for stuff like that on here. Or adding courses for that matter lol. Check under the disc/equipment section. Something might be stickied that would pertain to that.

most of those kinds of threads are disc/manufacturer/type dependent but they are definitely there

let a guy know if you want to let go of that buzzz

I don't have any of them now, but I want to the sporting goods store and asked for recommendations. The guy told me to get an aviar pna, shark and a firebird. What kind of **** tells a noob to get a firebird? I hated that disc. Soon after I picked up an eagle x that I still have. Eagles have been one of favorite discs since then and have rarely left the bag.

I found some guide on infinitediscs about the best beginner discs and then went to a local sporting goods store and picked up 5 of the straightest discs I found.

I ended up with a zero megasoft pure (lost that one quickly), a Gold Claymore, a Fuzion EMac Truth, an Opto River Pro (I thought I was buying a regular River and the Pro was just a plastic affix) and an Opto Sapphire (153g).

I gave the Claymore and the River Pro to my fianceé and used the other 3 myself. The EMac truth wound up being my first ace disc and is the only disc I've ever hung up to this day. The River Pro was eventually sold as noone in my household liked it.

The Sapphire was my longest disc for a good while, it was the first disc I hit 300' with and 100m and the disc I used to birdie most of the longest holes on my local courses for the first time. I still have it in storage somewhere.

My first bag was the crap latitude bag with the quickdraw, individual pockets. I should sell that, too.

most of those kinds of threads are disc/manufacturer/type dependent but they are definitely there

let a guy know if you want to let go of that buzzz

Honestly, I might consider it because even though that disc IS part of my original bag, I never liked it (nothing wrong with a Buzzz I just couldn't forehand midranges back then) and I hardly ever threw it so there's not really an "emotional" connection to it.

I did do a little research about a year ago to see if it was in fact a first run, but according to the interwebs, a first run Elite-Z Buzzz should have the words WASP inside the rim and obviously, it'll say First Run somewhere on the stamp.

However, the 2nd run of 1st editions (lolwut?) has the same stamp my Buzzz has and has the word BUZZZ under the rim instead of WASP which I just confirmed mine has BUZZZ underneath it so it's a confirmed 2nd run of the 1st editions.

I'm beginning to realize I might be slightly obsessed with discs and their history.

However, the 2nd run of 1st editions (lolwut?) has the same stamp my Buzzz has and has the word BUZZZ under the rim instead of WASP which I just confirmed mine has BUZZZ underneath it so it's a confirmed 2nd run of the 1st editions.

not quite

this is pretty good info
https://sites.google.com/view/dischistory/the-discraft-buzzz?pli=1

yours is a standard stamp that was used for years before the bar stamp went away and the current stamp design became the norm for basically all discraft discs.

I'm beginning to realize I might be slightly obsessed with discs and their history.

don't get me started on the teebird

my first actual bag was stolen when my discs got stolen it was the innova side bag that holds like 10 discs

my first disc was dx spider since it was "multipurpose" and "basically a putter and a driver so i dont need anymoar than one disc"

then eventually bought a dx aviar pna and dx shark and kept gettin gifted wraiths so i started throwin many of those

i still have the shark and spider but its at my folks house

First Discs I bought - Arobie Epic and Arrow. I didn't know anything, just that I knew the Arobie name. My first traditional golf disc was a Kite, maybe a first run even.

My first bag was a Fade Crunch Bag. I was also the first one in my region to have a true disc golf backpack - a Mahal! I was also the first to have a non-home built cart - OG Ridge Roller.

I don't think that any of that makes me cool.

My first disc was a DX Valkyrie on Amazon from the review of a wife who bought for a husband new to the game, and he loved it. A second reviewer stated great disc, if new to the game recommend a weight lower than 155g. So, I bought at 145g to 149g. The disc was with me for almost a year and learned to throw rollers with it. Watched it roll more than 300 feet into the water.

My first bag was an Athletico holding 10-14 discs about 4 months after I started playing, up until that point I carried my discs in a Disney canvas bag. My grandson who started playing with me 2 1/2 years ago now has the bag along with a few other Valkyrie's that first year, and a few Starlite Roadrunners which is his favorite disc because "they can fly".

First putter DX Aviar had it only for a month lost on a death putt into the water, first mid Whale remember throwing directly into a 30-40 mph wind gusting up to 60 and took a 5 on a 365-foot hole staying dead straight all the way there. Using it on every throw, it came back at me on one of the throws. First high-speed driver Pro Destroyer had it for almost two years, a good throw into the wind, lost it in water.

My first discs were a Classic Aviar, ProD Buzzz, and 136 gram DX Leopard since I figured lighter discs would go further lol. I ended up losing the Buzzz somewhere along the way but still have the Aviar and my wife used the Leopard from time to time.

My first bag was Innovas 20 dollar offering and I ended up giving it to a friend with some extras I don't use anymore

My first disc golf disc was an orange Circle Stamp DX Cobra.

I lost that many years ago, but have since added a similar one to my collection for nostalgic purposes.

I do still carry a Circle Stamp DX Cobra though.

My first bag is long gone, but I think it was one of those Lightning 8/10 disc shoulder bags. I do still have the very first disc I ever bought, a tournament pro Comet. I threw that disc for more than 10 years before I decided I need to put it away for safe keeping. All my other early discs are long gone except for a beat in Jaguar I still have.

Latest posts