• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Bag / Discs

First real Golf Disc: a Stingray, yellow with red stamp, 172g, bought from PDGA #315 for $6 in the summer of 1989. Could RHFH flick it maybe 200', but somewhat accurately. Lost it the same summer in a giant patch of poison ivy at my home course, the brand-new and jungle-like Oxbow Park.

It would be 8 years before I'd get a real bag. I'd just carry the three or four Discs I had in a small backpack or duffel bag for years and play maybe once or twice a month. When we moved up to East Lansing for my wife's grad school in 1995-96, I encountered the CCR gang at Grand Woods later that spring and saw enthusiasts for the first time. There were a few really good pros there too, and they rubbed off on me. Went to In-Flight and got my "Cube" bag there the next season in 1997 and used it as my primary bag up until our 25th wedding anniversary in 2020. It held 16 or so.

For our wedding anniversary, my wife said she wanted a piece of jewelry priced about the same as a Ridge Roller, and then asked me what I wanted for around the same price. I've been spoiled rotted with that thing for the last few years!

First bag was an Innova Deluxe and I put Phoenix Straps on it. Buddy of mine still has the bag and straps.

First 3 discs were a Star Aviar P&A, Star Mako, and tie dye Champ Leo. Gave the Mako to a buddy of mine and it was thrown until it was lost somewhere in the Nansemond River at Bennetts Creek Park. He bagged that disc for almost a decade. The Aviar and Leo I still have.

I wish I did. I started with a DX Orc and a Soft Magnet. I still have the Orc, and gave the magnet to a friend. I bought a Champ Viking next, then a Z Glide. Somewhere in there I lost the viking and went swamping to get it back. Then I had 2 dozen discs with no names. Messed with those, and bought a few to supplement what I had. The willingness to jump in the nasty water and get my discs back meant I was constantly testing new stuff.
My first intentionally put together bag was Probably a Predator, 2 Champ Orc, 2 Dx eagles, Element-X, Buzzz, Element, Wizard.

2 of my first 3 discs (Innova Starter Pack) were lost to the void that was my toolshed. The third (DX Shark) was lost when I finally threw it well, and floated right into the creek at my grandparent's house.

Still have my first bag, the small Innova that holds 10-12. In what was a moment of 100% overkill, I hooked a pair of Phenix quads to it.

super-pro.jpg

bag.jpg

^^^Sums me up, too, though mine was a 175g Frisbee ultimate model, and the only thing my plastic bag carried was beer.

My first golf discs(2002) were Lightning Flyer, Slice, #1and #4Driver, Rubber Putter, Discraft XL and XS, and Innova KC Pro Eagle. My first bag was a soft 6-pack cooler with shoulder strap.

Last edited:
Holy crap.. I just checked eBay and do the old bar stamp ones really go for $150-200??

That seems like a lot for an older run disc even by most standards.

no, not really. i don't know what the 'buy now' eBay markup is as a ballpark percentage but FB marketplace is surely a better place for more realistic selling prices. that said, i don't use FB and can't speak to it personally. i'm guessing triple digits for a bar stamp buzzz that is buzzz tooled not wasp tooled would have to be brand new, streaky plastic, fully intact stamp, etc.
all of that is viewing from a distance though. i don't buy many discs these days.

on topic for the thread... i carried by hand an XD, a spider, and a leo (first disc), plus whatever i found on the course that day, for at least 3 years before finally going straight to a carolina bag with backpack straps. still have it but it's in the closet and full of black challengers (my main putter before switching to wizards, i bring out this bag when the practice basket is set up and i have friends hanging out). use a DD commander bag currently, don't love it but it gets the job done.

i also had a wraith early on that i couldn't get any further than any other disc. in hindsight, i wish i would have lost it sooner. got into eagles and teebirds pretty quickly after that. and once i had a bag that could hold 20+ discs, of course i felt the need to fill it up. mostly with a bunch of overlapping fairways that really just complicated things. still a bit guilty of that with teebirds, eagles, leos, and QJ's all in the bag currently, and sometimes a polaris too. kind of weird since i have 4 or 5 wizards and 5 or 6 buzzzes in the other slots, mold minimalism until i hit the fairways slots.

all of that is viewing from a distance though. i don't buy many discs these days.

also, i never seem to see straight answers anymore when boutique pricing questions come up here on DGCR. there used to be really active marketplace rats who also frequented the regular forums that were really good sources for accurate pricing. not the case anymore and the topic somehow gets contentious quickly. :confused:

also, i never seem to see straight answers anymore when boutique pricing questions come up here on DGCR. there used to be really active marketplace rats who also frequented the regular forums that were really good sources for accurate pricing. not the case anymore and the topic somehow gets contentious quickly. :confused:

It seems like the Marketplace section of DGCR is slowly dying out. I'll check it every so often and it doesn't seem like there's many new posts in that section nowadays.

Also, not too long ago there were scammers lurking about there and a good amount of DGCR members got ripped off so that also might've put a damper on trading/selling discs on here.

still have it but it's in the closet and full of black challengers (my main putter before switching to wizards, i bring out this bag when the practice basket is set up and i have friends hanging out).

Which Era challengers. The black Challengers with the basket stamp (the one that the vantage point is inside the chains) was my putter for a while after it got hard to find white barstamps (like the ones Doss won his first worlds with).
I fell in love with those after having trouble getting good wizards. Now good wizards are a plenty again.
Love the nostalgia.

I used a blue Innova Raven for ever shot the first summer I played. I bought it on a whim at the deli up the road from the local course while main purpose was to buy a slice of pizza for lunch.

I hacked around a bit and got a little better, then a month later I had a back to back throw in and ace, and found myself hooked. I then went with a 7 disc Innova shoulder bag. My next 2 discs where a XL and a Ching Tank, lol.

Which Era challengers. The black Challengers with the basket stamp (the one that the vantage point is inside the chains) was my putter for a while after it got hard to find white barstamps (like the ones Doss won his first worlds with).
I fell in love with those after having trouble getting good wizards. Now good wizards are a plenty again.
Love the nostalgia.

late 2000's to mid 2010's, mostly stock stamps but all of them are black. i just like the feel of that plastic.

i've got plenty of good wizards now though

late 2000's to mid 2010's, mostly stock stamps but all of them are black. i just like the feel of that plastic.

i've got plenty of good wizards now though

Definitely the same era that I was messing with challengers, 08-09ish. Had some issues, tried cryztals :)doh:) and then ions when they came out. Been wizards or bergs for putting since and I am a happy guy.

Back then my financial situation and my local shop not having ones I liked(wright life) as the problem with wizards. Since even when I am not bagging them I have still been scooping up good ones. I have plenty for life now...

Wish I could remember what the first one was. It was some knockoff of the Blowfly, but I can't remember who made it. My dad, brother and I took turns throwing that and an ultimate frisbee in the late 90s. Then we moved to the Cheetah, Shark, Aviar starter set. My first bag that I built was:
XL, X2, XS, MRV, MRX, and an APX. Was all in on Discraft.

I don't know if I have any of those discs anymore. Really wished I'd saved the XL, at least.

My first discs were a Purple P2 and a White Roc (both used). I didn't have a bag at the time....so I just carried them in my hands.

Lost the P2 into a lake, got it back a year later and gave it to a friend who was building a collection of P2's for putting practice.

Lost the Roc in snow, got it back, lost it, never seen again.

When I started playing disc golf Innova, Discraft and Lightning were the only brands around.
The only two places nearby to purchase discs were Oshman's Sporting Goods or the trunk of someone's car.
Everyone I knew threw Innova, so my first discs were an Aviar Putter, a Roc and a Scorpion.
A year later I got a Viper, THE long range disc at the time.

Years later I purchased my first bag from Play It Again Sports, an original Wall City round bag.
These were very popular around Texas, being constructed and sold out of Austin.

All those discs and the bag are long gone, having been stolen from my vehicle.
I replaced the bag with another Wall City round which I occasionally still use.

I've only been playing for about five or six years. There were plenty of options available then. I know my first bag was one of those small, Innova lunchbox looking ones.

As far as discs, I can only recall that I had a Wizard for all of my putts and approaches and I remember I had a Leopard and a Teebird for pretty much everything else. The Teebird was a G-star but the Leopard was DX and didn't last long before it looked like a dog toy so I replaced it with a pro Leopard.

I'm sure I had a few more discs in the bag but I honestly can't remember what they were and I'm sure they didn't suit my game.

I personally started out with the Innova 3 disc starter set. After that, i got the four piece. My first premium plastic disc was the Star Mamba. That is the first distance driver i would recomend for any new player. One question, would any of you recomend getting a starter set or a couple premium plastic discs first? Just curious.