• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way...

What are the top contenders?

Here is a top 25 in no particular order;

Maple Hill
Flyboy
Renny Gold
Deer Lakes
Moraine State Park
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
Flip City
Leviathan
Phantom Falls (unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to play Magic Meadows or Bucksnort. All indications point to similar good times)
Nockamixon
Iron Hill
Ashe County Park
Burchfield, Devils Den
Blue Ribbon Pines
Trey Texas Ranch - Both courses (I preferred Texas Twist)
Selah Ranch - Both courses quite evenly
Highbridge Hills - All 5 major courses (My top two were Blueberry and Granite, although all were top shelf. Special shout out to Bear...I believe an underrated course)
Mont du Lac - White Cedar was by far the most memorable of the two
Water Works
Severin Lang
Paw Paw - Magic (remember, no particular order)
Pickard Park
Hawk Hollow
Brent Hambrick - My home course. Open 9. Dense 9. Balanced 9. This course is underrated for balance. One round here will expose your skill set.

Always subject to change ;)

Here is a top 25 in no particular order;

Maple Hill
Flyboy
Renny Gold
Deer Lakes
Moraine State Park
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
Flip City
Leviathan
Phantom Falls (unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to play Magic Meadows or Bucksnort. All indications point to similar good times)
Nockamixon
Iron Hill
Ashe County Park
Burchfield, Devils Den
Blue Ribbon Pines
Trey Texas Ranch - Both courses (I preferred Texas Twist)
Selah Ranch - Both courses quite evenly
Highbridge Hills - All 5 major courses (My top two were Blueberry and Granite, although all were top shelf. Special shout out to Bear...I believe an underrated course)
Mont du Lac - White Cedar was by far the most memorable of the two
Water Works
Severin Lang
Paw Paw - Magic (remember, no particular order)
Pickard Park
Hawk Hollow
Brent Hambrick - My home course. Open 9. Dense 9. Balanced 9. This course is underrated for balance. One round here will expose your skill set.

Always subject to change ;)

That's a heck or a list. Let us know if/when you narrow it down.

Lol yep, lots a stellar courses added this year. It gets fuzzy actually putting numbers to these courses as many of them could be interchanged depending on the time of day.
1. Paw Paw
2. Black Jack
3. Hawk Hallow
4. Brakewell - Animal
5. Nockamixon
6. Idlewild
7. Harmon Hills
8. Camp Sankanac
9. Moraine
10. Black Course

Honorable Mentions:
Orange Crush
Iron Hill
Quaker's Challenge
Patapsco
Mt. Airy Forest
Walnut Creek

I've been kicking myself over the last couple of years for having not made a stop in Pittsburgh, how does Deer Lakes not make this list? I played it only a couple times years ago prior to concrete tees and thought it was every bit as good as the majority of these -- is there something I'm missing or is it just a preference thing?

Last edited:
I've been kicking myself over the last couple of years for having not made a stop in Pittsburgh, how does Deer Lakes not make this list? I played it only a couple times years ago prior to concrete tees and thought it was every bit as good as the majority of these -- is there something I'm missing or is it just a preference thing?
Deer Lakes is a great course with some awesome holes, but DL has a couple forgettable holes and I didn't particularly like the last two holes. Moraine was much more memorable and better overall IMO.

Deer Lakes is a great course with some awesome holes, but DL has a couple forgettable holes and I didn't particularly like the last two holes. Moraine was much more memorable and better overall IMO.

concur.. also DL has some drainage issues that can make your round very uncomfortable. Some of the holes feel the same.

Here's my list of 6, which is limited to East coast play.

Flyboy
Moraine
Hawk Hollow
Iron Hill
New Quarter
Patapsco

Last edited:
In no order

Nevin - Cause I made it and its a pretty good course
Iron Hill - long and brutal but mostly fair.
Orange Crush - the whole campus - awesome
Shelton Springs in WA just made my list
Ashe County - great mountain course

Played Idlewild, Moraine and other top courses but didnt really get attached to them.

Maybe I missed that part -- I would/could say the same about Moraine, I'm not sure Moraine makes my top 3 PA state park courses unless it's also been upgraded in the last 4-5 years and again I'm missing something.

I'm an Idlewild fan though and do not understand on what criteria it's not the top of the list (Flyboy doesn't count -- played it, loved it, it's "closed" so I don't count it . .. ) but again that could just be a preference thing.

The other one that I keep myself over is Maple Hill, I've been in Boston 30 times over the last 4 years and I still haven't played it - someday.

Got to play both Deer Lakes and Moraine a few weeks ago. From a design and fairway cutting/implementation standpoint, Moraine is superior. I thought 6 and 10 were great multi-throw holes executed perfectly. Effective landing zones leaving well earned opportunites for clean looks at the second shots. For my likes; Moraine actually has fairways that are a smidge too open/forgiving. Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.

1) Flyboy/Flyboy Viper
2) Brackett's Bluff (old)
3) The Crucible
4) Stoney Hill
5) IDGC
6) Little Mulberry
7) McCurry (homer pic :p)
8) Parc du Bourdon

1) Flyboy/Flyboy Viper
3) The Crucible
4) Stoney Hill
5) IDGC
6) Little Mulberry
7) McCurry (homer pic :p)
8) Parc du Bourdon

Just in time for Halloween----

We're being beaten out by ghosts!

Just in time for Halloween----

We're being beaten out by ghosts!

Not by much really ... Crucible and SH are very close together in my head, but Crucible gets the nod since it's literally right down the road from me.

Several of the holes out there made me think "this is a Stoney Hill type hole/green/land" :thmbup:

Just kidding, of course. We're honored. And my favorite course list is also dominated by extinct, temporary, and otherwise mostly-unplayable courses.

Flyboy, Hampton Park, Gran Canyon, Still Waters are in my 6-course Top Tier of Favorites.

Five months later and the list of favorites has indeed changed.

10) Blue Angel Park - Oaks: Overlooked. Nice mix of shots including some legit par 4s, variety of levels of woodedness, and even some elevation that, while modest, is noticeable and welcome in the Gulf area. Great park to visit, with three quality 18s on site.

9) Shawshank: Hella fun. Didn't find it to be a truly transcendent course - it was a bit too exclusively par 3 for that IMHO - but it was a great stop with some really memorable scenery and holes.

8) Trey Texas Ranch - Trey Deuce: A bit of extrapolation here as it was in poor condition when I visited. Tons of variation in the terrain - possibly the most I've ever seen in an 18 hole course - that begets a whole host of shots. 18 is one of the most memorable holes I've ever played, and the hilariously tight hole 15 is another one that sticks in my mind.

7) Deer Lakes Park: Classic western PA park course in its integration of woods, open shots, and transitions between the two. I'm hoping to visit this again next month when I'm back in the area because I was a bit disappointed the first time around relative to its reputation. Still a great course.

6) Knob Hill Park: Not the pizzazz of Deer Lakes, but super duper solid. It just comes together for me so well that the whole transcends the parts.

5) Selah Ranch - Creekside: There's a pretty clear division in quality between the previous five and my top five. Creekside is an unbelievable course, with some of the most brow-furrowing holes I've ever played, intermixed with an array of memorable shots and fun challenges. Hole 3 is delightfully heart-pounding.

4) Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist: More extrapolation. I think a well-groomed Texas Twist is going to be right up there with the best of the best. Probably won't threaten Lakeside, but it's close in my mind - the stretch in woods from 7-15 is an awesome counterpoint to the more wide open holes found elsewhere on the property.

3) Orange Crush: Still overlooked, still phenomenal. Proof that a course can be ridiculously challenging, widely appealing, and varied all at once.

2) Moraine State Park: Hilariously, this is the first course I ever played. I'm pretty sure I shot over 100 that round. Awesome course, with a fabulous range of par 3s, 4s, and 5s. Some really memorable, unique holes that are seared into my mind's eye. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it this summer when I'm in the area.

1) Selah Ranch - Lakeside: As an old football coach of mine used to say, "beyond the beyond." Playing Lakeside was one of the most aesthetic experiences of my life, akin to seeing an amazing concert or having an out-of-this-world meal. It has so many memorable moments that are so thoughtfully assembled. I'll be curious to see if a course ever dethrones it from my personal list.

~

Nice to compare this to where I was in December. Not sure what I will and won't get to play this coming summer, and probably nothing that will truly challenge the top three courses, but some new ones should be making the list.

Update, with a few changes, including one surprise (Friends of Punderson, which is significantly underrated and under the radar) and confirmation that all those ranking Whippin' Post on here know what they're talking about - it is an unbelievable course.

1) Selah Ranch - Lakeside
2) Whippin' Post
3) Moraine State Park
4) Orange Crush
5) Friends of Punderson
6) Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist
7) Selah Ranch - Creekside
8) Knob Hill Park
9) The Black Course
10) Deer Lakes Park

I'd say that there's a bit of a drop in quality between Texas Twist and Creekside; those top 6 are world class in my eyes.

Obviously I agree with the earlier discussion about Deer Lakes not being as good as Moraine. It's got some fantastic holes and it's extremely polished, but also a lot of good-not-great holes and a few more snoozers than I expected. Still a wonderful course.

I continue to have Knob Hill higher than most. I understand why it's overlooked - lower wow factor, also has some shoulder-shrug-worthy holes, and significantly shorter than the other courses on my list - but there's something about it I just love. It's got great variety, and a great balance of challenge for my skill level. It is far and away the best par 3-focused course I've played.

Hoping to hit some of the eastern PA stalwarts this summer and possibly a few others in the region such as Iron Hill. Nockamixon is at the top of my to-play list. Can't wait to see how it compares.

Just kidding, of course. We're honored. And my favorite course list is also dominated by extinct, temporary, and otherwise mostly-unplayable courses.

Flyboy, Hampton Park, Gran Canyon, Still Waters are in my 6-course Top Tier of Favorites.

... and it didn't snow at The Crucible yesterday like I heard it did at Stoney Hill?!?!?!?!!? So yeah, sleeping in my warm bed and not playing in snow trumps camping in snow :gross:

Good choice. It snowed during the pre-tournament hours, then got worse. For Round 1 Stoney Hill was a 0.00001 rated course, due to the weather---38 degrees, raining, and howling winds.

It's been so windy at so many tournaments that I've campaigned for a course slogan: "Stoney Hill. It's a breeze!". Hasn't caught on yet, though.

I've gotten to play some great courses since my last post so I'll edit a bit;

1-still Rollin Ridge
2-Flip City(that was so fun, well thought out layout)
3-Tobbogan
4-Hornings Hideout-Medowridge(if not for te confusing navigation this would be 2 or 3) amazing elevation beautiful scenery, downright odd baskets though. Looks like hang a truck wheel with chains on top.
5-McCurrey kind of a home pick, but I'll leave it.

Somehow managed to only do 8 instead of 10 :eek:

1) Flyboy/Flyboy Viper
3) The Crucible
4) Stoney Hill
5) IDGC
6) Little Mulberry
7) Perkerson Park
8) McCurry
9) Parc du Bourdon
10) JP Moseley

[From 2014]
1) Selah Ranch - Lakeside
2) Whippin' Post
3) Moraine State Park
4) Orange Crush
5) Friends of Punderson
6) Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist
7) Selah Ranch - Creekside
8) Knob Hill Park
9) The Black Course
10) Deer Lakes Park

Necro update!

1) Harmony Bends
2) Selah Ranch - Lakeside
3) Sugaree
4) Idlewild
5) Whippin' Post
6) Moraine State Park
7) Orange Crush
8) Harmon Hills
9) Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist
10) Friends of Punderson

Glad to see FoP still hanging on in there.

Played Harmony Bends last month and Idlewild today. Both awesome and challenging courses in their own unique ways. HB is an unbelievably complex and varied course that does a great job of changing gears constantly to keep things fresh. Amazing use of elevation and the land's ever-changing level of tree cover. Idlewild is a grind at 24 holes with some of the toughest holes I've ever played, but a really unique and well-rendered experience; I'll never forget it.

The constant running through these ten courses is the high level of woodedness: I like things on the tight and technical side. Also lots of par 4s/5s in there. But it's exciting to see this list grow to include 8 states and lots of top DGCR courses, in addition to other such courses that are lower down my personal list. My disc golf travels have been kind to me, that's for sure; here's to keeping it going. :thmbup:

[2013]

Idlewild (KY) - yeah
Trophy Lakes (SC) - so much water, so much fun
Flat Rock Park (GA) - what Conner said
Circle C (TX) - Hill Country golf at it's finest
Parma (NY) - challenging, beautiful
Shawshank (TX) - totally unique, tons of awesome holes, excellent hospitality

honorable mention:
Redbone Road (MS) - super fun back yard course
Basil Marella (NY) - 18 wooded holes, elevation
Chautauqua (MS) - some amazing signature holes with ridiculous elevation
Cherry Creek (TX) - the back 9 is incredible
Coyote Point (CA) - awesome shots, elevation, views of the lake

local favs (DFW):
Saddle Hills - fun shots, rugged terrain, elevation, legit par 4s
Turner Park - same as above, minus the rugged terrain
McCord Park - the new Houck course, actually not open yet
Harry Myers
Eagle Ranch - oddball, this course is in disrepair and only 7 holes. but i would play it everyday if i lived in that neighborhood

[2014]

Ozark Mtn/Akita's Run/Spencer-Davis in Vichy, MO
Selah Lakeside/Creekside in Talco, TX
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC
Chautauqua Park in Crystal Springs, MS
Parma DGC in Parma, NY
Emporia Country Club in Emporia, KS
Flat Rock Park in Columbus, GA

things change

Harmony Bends, MO
Selah Lakeside, TX
Rollin Ridge, WI