• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ZAM makes Tee Signs

ZAMson

^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry
Tee Signs were my very first contract job in DG so it's fitting that I've been doing a little on the side lately. Yeti's been designing and installing courses at schools and we arrived at a very cost-effective sign.

These are printed on 5x10 sheet metal, laminated, UV, blah blah blah all the normal specs you'd see from the tee sign giants. They're bolted top and bottom in the center to wooden posts that aren't much more narrow than the sign, and in more vandal-prone areas, we'd bolt the 4 corners.

Bear in mind, this is a school course for kids... don't get silly over the course difficulty :)
I included Hole 8 because Yeti requested the cool Ace Run! graphic. I think it's awesome for the kids!! Anything that looks sorta video-gamey may be the thing that gets 'em outside for a day.

Posting these as attention-seeking behavior, I guess. It's my 3rd-ranking job, don't do much of it, probably can't take on any more clients than Yeti for now. But deep down I've always hoped I could advance the standards for tee sign graphics, and maybe this could serve to fuel some discussion and mindshare.

This size/style isn't about complexity... just a simple, inviting presentation of disc golf.

previewer.jpg

I think the sings look great, up until the goofy "Ace Run" lettering. But seriously though, they look far better than I would have done. :hfive: Good stuff here.

I'll be honest when I read the title kinda assumed/hoped that the tee sign would be steampunk theemed.

*edit I'm knocking it though really good work Zam.

Last edited:
I'll be honest when I read the title kinda assumed/hoped that the tee sign would be steampunk theemed.
Haha, do I have a rep for steampunk? Not sure I understand :)
But I'm all for off-the-deep-end stylized signs if it matches the course!

"Ace Run" lettering
There's a first time for everything! Never did anything like that before.

The course is on a middle school campus, so I loved the idea of including it. On Yeti's sketch, that hole just had "Ace Run!" written above the distance, I took it as a joke, like, "ha ha look at this 100-footer". But in review, he asked for the Ace Run! text to be included above the basket.

Think of it like a kid; compared to the little yellow basket shape, this carnival-style decoration makes it a more exciting target. I could see this hole as the spot where Young Zachary would hang out with my homies emptying the bag. It's a novelty shot, which is exactly the kind of thing that can get kids interested in throwing golf discs. It's got some excitement to it... a more engaging challenge than just "here's where your target is located".

I ramble about the Ace Run! thing because it illustrates something I think is overlooked in tee sign design -- these signs should make new people want to play! They're little billboards for the sport, informative for players and engaging for passers-by. I assume that park users (or kids/parents in this case) will have seen someone playing before, and at a separate time have a moment to look at the sign. Those two put together -- cool frisbee flight plus the graphical look of a real sport -- should plant in their mind that it's a legitimate sporting game that they should try.

Thanks for the positive feedback! (legit no sarcasm) I think the Ace Run! is a good point to bring up. And of course, it should go without saying... that's a Kids' Course sign feature :D

Last edited:
They do look nice and fulfill all of the tee sign requirements. Well done ZAM.

Yeah I failed miserably at noticing the: "Bear in mind, this is a school course for kids... don't get silly over the course difficulty I included Hole 8 because Yeti requested the cool Ace Run! graphic. I think it's awesome for the kids!! Anything that looks sorta video-gamey may be the thing that gets 'em outside for a day."

So that is around -100,000 interwebz for me :doh:

So yeah, that makes much more sense :| Good work!

Yeah I failed miserably at noticing the: "Bear in mind, this is a school course for kids... don't get silly over the course difficulty I included Hole 8 because Yeti requested the cool Ace Run! graphic. I think it's awesome for the kids!! Anything that looks sorta video-gamey may be the thing that gets 'em outside for a day."

So that is around -100,000 interwebz for me :doh:

So yeah, that makes much more sense :| Good work!
Haha no worries. It gave me an excuse to talk about my thoughts and feelings :)

In all seriousness however, the signs DO look great :hfive: awesome work :)

Next tee sign project: Zam/Skulboy collaboration! *Insert maniacal laugh here*

In all seriousness however, the signs DO look great :hfive: awesome work :)

Next tee sign project: Zam/Skulboy collaboration! *Insert maniacal laugh here*
I'm all for it :thmbup:

Takin' it back to '07 here... my first independent sign gig was Pease Park. Doing it freelance allowed me to pour more time into it, and the character of the course demanded something special.

Firstly, the borders of the 12x18 are hand-drawn tree and rock textures (course ran along a creek bed). Each hole#'s background is actually a little painting of the view from the tee. Everything about the surrounding layout is stylized for the course. The map is pretty plain.

But this shows how a little artsy time can be incorporated and give a ton of character to the sign. If Skulboy had artwork for or some connection to a course/project, I'd be ecstatic about including his work! Skul banner, Skul background, Skul trees, Skul tees, Skul buckets... bring it on!

ba79a06e.jpg

One thing Ive always been a fan of on signs is the "next tee" arrows or indicators, and these really seem to deliver. The borders on the sign are great too, definitely adds style. Good stuff!

Imagine a Zam/Skulboy basket :clap: :hfive:

Basket FTW. :hfive:

Where/how do you get the info for placing trees? Also the suggested flight lines are often on signs.

From the customer, course designer, google satellite view, other source?

I'm curious.

Kewl, I just figured out where that course will be. Barely 20 minutes away from me. Have to ask Jay about it when we hit Circle C.

Also the suggested flight lines are often on signs.

I hate tee signs that do this. The sign should not tell me what kind of shot to throw, the sign should be providing enough information for me to make that decision on my own.

Latest posts