• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Signs Preferences and Vandalism

mubhcaeb78

Par Member
In a heavy traffic course an hour away, tee signs are majorly defaced.
The hole info is all but torn off and marker comments are all over.

I am looking at how to prevent that.
Besides just overall policing of the grounds from players/police, what construction of the tees could limit this?

The one there was wood 4x4 stakes and a board on it to which the hole's sheet was attached..actual paper (believed it was laminated).

Dretzka also has wood tee signs, but these are carved out and painted. Not much room to write on, but they don't excel on accurate layout.

Most courses I see have a metal pipe with a white board that has some vinyl tee, tree, basket, stickers on it. Pretty standard, but imo lacking as well.

Then some courses have the "sealed" boxes with plexi in front of it with custom print jobs that look nice. Ideal imo, but wonder if the front glass will get graffiti on it. Can permanent marker get cleaned off with something on those? Do you replace the plexi?

I will be putting in a trailcam on one hole in the woods just for fun.. capture some players throwing, seeing how much traffic goes through, and any big bucks walking the area, but don't feel that will be a good policing method.

I find it hard to justify spending $100 per hole to set up tee signs if they will get abused, what kind of design can go into it to help deter it?

Last edited:
There is a fine wooded course near here that has a horrible vandalism problem. Homemade signs were made and then installed well above easy reach (10+ feet high) on an appropriately located tree. They are hard to find if you aren't really looking, but they're there and they've been unharmed in the 5 years I've been playing.

At mason park in Houston, people have used the baskets as firepits and also found a way to take the chains off the baskets. I know for sure its High School kids because they are always there f'in around. I once saw some kids jumping on the basket trying to get it to break, I yelled at them and they acted like I was a prick.

I suggest electrifying the tee signs at night to deter the kids (and shock the hell out of them).

I remember a company making tee signs that ink, etc wont stay on or cleans off easily. I would have to look for it. We C&C triple layer composite plastic for our signs. People write aces on the posts but that is no big deal. If there is anything nasty written on the wood we can just sand it off quick.

I'm of the theory that we have to concede that if vandals don't get to the signage, the elements eventually will. You may want to change the signage occasionally anyway to add a tee sponsor, or show changes to the hole. Inexpensive and durable is the way to go.

I remember a company making tee signs that ink, etc wont stay on or cleans off easily. I would have to look for it. We C&C triple layer composite plastic for our signs. People write aces on the posts but that is no big deal. If there is anything nasty written on the wood we can just sand it off quick.

Earlewood Park has basic signs (hole #, par, distance, but not a layout) that are virtually indestructible. I think the company we got them from was River City Signs.

as a painter i know %100 silicone caulk is unpaintable. paint just wicks away from it. Maybe you could skim coat the t sign with clear silicone. it would also seal it from the elements, not terribly expensive or overly labor intensive. less so than graffiti remover or rubbing alcohol id say
youths are a big problem though. Being 'cool' group mentality means don't piss off kids by yourself cuz if you do they could be pissing on you. damn minors are only getting worse, and i know i sound like an old man saying it.

signs were made and then installed well above easy reach (10+ feet high) on an appropriately located tree. They are hard to find if you aren't really looking, but they're there and they've been unharmed in the 5 years I've been playing.
That's really what has to happen. If it is a vandalism prone area you have to put them 8' high minimum.

We've been working through this problem with a course we're installing in an urban area near downtown Atlanta where everything seems to get vandalized. The top option we're looking at right now is making custom teesigns out of 1/4" steel plate that is welded to two large diameter steel pipes that are set in the ground. The steel plate will be cut using a plasma cutter with hole information cut out -- outline of hole, hole #, distance, etc. The materials used will be strong enough that they will be difficult to steal or damage, and if the signs get tagged we can easily paint over them. The downside is it's pretty expensive, about $500/sign.

We've been working through this problem with a course we're installing in an urban area near downtown Atlanta where everything seems to get vandalized. The top option we're looking at right now is making custom teesigns out of 1/4" steel plate that is welded to two large diameter steel pipes that are set in the ground. The steel plate will be cut using a plasma cutter with hole information cut out -- outline of hole, hole #, distance, etc. The materials used will be strong enough that they will be difficult to steal or damage, and if the signs get tagged we can easily paint over them. The downside is it's pretty expensive, about $500/sign.

You must mean perkerson park. Great course but keeping signage is gonna be a problem for sure.

Putting them up taller may be the best solution, especially if your worried about theft.

If you're only worried about vandalism and not theft, plexi-glass over it works pretty well. Acetone takes a lot off, and if they get too messed up it's not horribly expensive to replace.

Latest posts