Pittsburgh, PA
Schenley Park Share
Uploaded By: discteacher Hole #15 (Taken 9/2008)
Hole #15 C Pin

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Work That Short Game

2-4    1/1/2019   2/5/2019
Review By: njgrosser
Pros: This course can provide several layouts. There are three tee spots per hole - two concrete pads and one natural pad marked by a wood tie. There are also multiple pin placements per hole, so if they get moved around a decent amount, regulars can play significantly different layouts all the time.

The course provides a lot of elevation changes, especially once you get into the wooded hill area. It forces you to throw both up and down, and to avoid many trees while doing so.

Speaking of trees, there are many. Try not to hit them. But don't fear, there are a few open holes at the beginning of the course to get the accuracy figured out before navigating the forest.
Cons: To me, the course bordered on repetitive through most of the back stretch. There are a lot of holes crammed into a little space, so naturally the distances aren't too long. This made several holes appear to have the same "look" as a 200ish foot hole, either up or down, through moderate tree cover. As I touched also, the course lacked distance, outside of a hole or two in the very beginning.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a solid course. It is great for beginners, as the holes are not too long and it will force you to work on accuracy. For more advanced players, treat it as you would a Par 3 course in ball-golf, and go out there with only midranges and putters to work on the short game. Personally, I enjoyed the course, and if I was visiting again I would play it because it is the only course within downtown Pittsburgh.

I'm happy that this is my go-to course

5+    6/6/2018   6/10/2018
Review By: Blobfish
Pros: +Concrete tee pads on White and Red
+Well maintained... hard to lose discs
+Nice view on #1 and #2
+#2 used to be a par 4, but now it's a challenging par 3
+Holes are clearly labeled
+Signs are in good condition and helpful
+Sometimes #15 is on a tower and that's kind of cool
+There's a water fountain at the pavilion down by the basket for 8 and 14
+Bathroom not to far from first tee up by the Schenley Oval (track)
Cons: -Several holes are variations on the same theme such as :
8, 14, 16 are all downhill through trees
-Hole #2 is the only hole that lets you open up and throw a bomb.
-You could play this course with nothing but a putter and you would still put up a good score.
Other Thoughts: First, I want to say that I love this course. It was my first course and it's my regular course. It's the only 18 hole course (that includes ball golf) in which I can close my eyes and visualize every single hole with immense detail. It was Schenley Park which got me hooked on this game. While the course doesn't cater to big drivers, the course lets you practice approaches and it lets you learn a lot about how your discs fly. For example, hole 4 is a short hole (only 160 ft) but off to the left is a steep hillside down to the road and OB. If you are RHBH and don't anticipate the fade on your disc, that's where you'll end up if you throw at the basket. Hole 13 with the top of the hillside pin is one of the trickiest holes as you throw through trees across a hillside on a double fall line that slopes down and to the left with the pin high and to the right but blocked by many large trees. You can get a lot of practice with approaches on this course and improve your short game. You might grab your first ace here too.
Admittedly, my personal bias probably added that last half star, but for what it is, it's a fantastic course. Challenging terrain is the only thing this course lacks, and for that, I understand why this course might be capped under 4 stars. But it IS a very good course for what it is, and thus my 3.5 rating.

Ye Olde Days

1    4/30/2018   4/30/2018
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Three tee locations per hole, with signage at both the reds and whites.

A few open, but mostly wooded, and a variety of elevation changes.

Multiple access points.
Cons:
While each hole had multiple pin positions, most didn't seem much different from the others.

The bulk of the course sits on a small, wooded slope, so plenty of opportunities to yell "fore"!
This 30 year old course is set located in Schenley, a large public park sitting atop a large Pittsburgh hill, with the downtown easily viewable a few miles to the west, and tee-1 practically at the apogee.

The first few holes are mostly open, with the big and long downhill bomber being hole-2. Hole-6 leads you into the wooded section of course, where you'll spend the remainder of your time, until your launch your drive towards basket-18, guarded by white pines late, and with an oob skate rink fence not too far behind.

Holes 6-17 hits you with the entire spectrum of short control holes, with up-/down-/across-/up-n-over-slope shots, requiring left-/right-/no-turns, with, generally speaking, fair throwing lanes, except for the pinball machine which is hole-13.

With most holes being short, and tree deflections not causing too great of difficulties, this is a fine course for beginning and developing players, and can be fun, and offer some extra length/challenge from the blues, for thse with more experience/distance.

Old, but never forgotten.

2-4    9/29/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: It's clean, great course for beginners, always full of players
Cons: The blue tees (longs) are none existent once in a while they will spray paint there tee box on the ground. The tee signs are old and in poor condition, holes 6-16 are the same shot just right down the middle.

Keeping A Pittsburgh Icon Updated And Relevant!

1    7/19/2017   7/20/2017
This review was updated on 7/31/2017
Pros: Like Jack Benny, Schenley Disc Golf Course is 39. The question is, How do you keep a 39 year old course fresh and modern? Courses built in 1988 tend to be old, faded and outdated by now. Back in 88, the top players were maybe throwing 325'. I think Schenley has managed to age very gracefully. She's had some cosmetic surgery to alter her appearance, new baskets, new signage and the new blue tees.

Schenley Park is a massive city park. I discovered something new and exciting. Using google maps on my new phone, I can enter Schenley Park Disc Golf Course and it will lead me right to the first tee! You younger, more tech savvy guys probably knew that. No more driving around some huge park looking for the course. The area around the first tee is sweet with it's view of downtown. Very impressive! Take time to sit on one of the benches and take it all in.

There is a kiosk with course map and benches for enjoying the view. There are two sets of concrete tees and nice colored maps with the next tee arrowI. The baskets are DGA models with the greatest, most easy to read numbers ever. The numbers are orange on black and show up well from distances. They are inserted on what used to be the old school fiberglass tee signs. There is one of these easy to read numbers on the back of each tee sign. They saved me a few steps many times. Thank you for those numbers.

I played from the white tees. I say they probably play at a solid recreational level. However, I am a shaky recreational player so the Whites were a perfect challenging level for me. The shorter Reds looked to be beginner easy. I only had time to play from the whites.

The long Blues added a lot of distance, like on # 15, the white tees play 213' on this little uphill throw while the Blue tees make it a whopping 537'. So, do the Blues play at an Intermediate level or Championship level? Either way, having three distinct and different pads should keep players coming back time and time again.

The holes in the wooded area offer players Ace run after Ace run. Playing from the Whites, few of these were really easy but every one was Aceable.
Cons: Wow, my Cons are probably pretty petty. I believe the course can get busy. Not really a con but a compliment. Others have talked about it being slippery after a rain. I could believe that. As far as complaining about it being too difficult or too easy, if you can't pick a level of difficulty on this course, then I don't know what we can do to help you?

Might be a problem with a couple of the earlier holes that play near the street.

Also could be an issue on # 8 and # 12 where you are throwing over a park service road. I had to wait here for a park vehicle to pass.
Other Thoughts: Trivia question? What city has three professional sports team that all wear the same color combination? Obviously, the answer is Pittsburgh with it's famous yellow and black. My question then is why did the course designers install wonderful 8" orange/black numbers on the baskets? Why not go with the yellow and black? Just curious?

One more question? Hole 18? Did course redesigners consider having this hole play all the way around the hockey rink? Making it a true par 5? I don't know but that could be a 700' hole from the Blue tees. Just another idea?

I think Schenley is aging gracefully. I really liked playing her and would love to come back and try my luck on the Reds and the Blues.

And on another note, the Pirates ballpark, PNC field, is awesome with it's views of the downtown skyline. And while you're in Pittsburgh, have a heart clogging, Pittsburgh icon, a Primanti Brothers sandwich, gobs of meat served with cold slaw, cheese, french fries, tomato, bacon and an egg, all heaped between two thick slices of white bread. I thought my wife was going to puke!

Great course for starters and people who just enjoy playing

2-4    7/15/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: DannyC724
Pros: This is only the third course I have played at though having played a large number of times elsewhere. My usual course to go to was in California, PA. That is a tough course mainly because of the wooded portion.

This course on the other hand, is great. The first 8 holes are pretty wide open, mainly in a field. The second hole is easily the longest of the course but it is just straight downhill. One of the only courses you are safe to "let it rip" on. Once you hit hole 9, you start falling into the wooded section. Though there are a lot of trees, you will find it easily navigable and will likely not lose any discs unless they go far out of sight.

The holes placement can be changed so it is not always the same course every time.

The hole layout maps are great. They really help you decipher what could be in the way.

Holes are very well marked and there is little difficulty moving from one hole to the next.

The park itself is beautiful. Make sure you take a good look at the skyline from hole one.

Others are very nice there. Its like a big community atmosphere. I have never had any problems with other golfers.

Alcohol is permitted if you are into that.

Dogs are also permitted.

Large amount of parking available
Cons: Not really a con of the course, but it can get a little crowded. The first two times I went there were a ton of people and some of the holes run side by side so you do need to pay a little attention to your surroundings.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a nice outing around Pittsburgh, go here. You are sure to enjoy it. And if you do happen to have some trouble finding a hole, just ask. Someone will be able to help you.

Happy discing!

Old and Faithful

2-4    6/1/2017   6/1/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Schenley is a Pittsburgh classic. The first permanent course in the area, designed and put in before I was born, this course has history. I was surprised that, as a Pittsburgh player, I had not been to Schenley that many times. I had not felt the need, as people often give it a bad reputation. Well, I didn't see it as a bad course.

The course plays through a classic and beautiful Pittsburgh park, featuring grassy, rolling hills, mature trees, and a beautiful skyline view on the first few holes. Note: Any skyline view of the beautiful city of Pittsburgh is worth it, and pictures never do it justice.

The first few holes play in a large valley, with the second hole being a 500 plus downhill crush, but after that hole, you will not need more than a putter and a midrange. The course will lead you winding through the side woods of the park, not far from the hustle and bustle of the urban environment, but provides some nice, woods-style golf.

Tee signs were helpful with all knowledge that is really needed, the distance to center, tee, and all three basket locations. The Mach-III baskets were in great shape, and although they are not my favorites, they definitely served their purpose, catching most shots that needed to be caught. Concrete tees for the reds and whites were a very nice touch.
Cons: This course is in one of the busiest parks that the Pittsburgh area has to offer. On a Thursday early afternoon, I was still weaving around picnickers, sunbathers, and more non-disc golfers. This could pose a major threat, as I saw many errant throws from some of the people who play the course.

The course is not only busy with other park goers, there were a lot of golfers this day too. It gets very busy, and a lot of the holes cross paths and/or are placed very close together.

This is not a pro style course. Or really a middle level player course. It is a perfect place to work on a technical, shot shaping mid/putter game, even for my rec-level arm. I pulled out my driver maybe three times, mostly just to get stability from an overstable disc, or to throw a thumber. This is a great place to come to show new players the game, as well as enjoy a good walk in the beautiful park and city, however, you will never see a tournament here, as the crowd, holes, and park would never allow it.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my rounds at Schenley. It would be a course that I recommend for people to play, maybe once, just for the experience and the history. It was a quick round for me, taking a total of two hours tops to play two full 18 hole rounds. For an older course, it is very nice. It uses the land provided very well, and I would play it again. I teetered between a two and a half and a three, but I had trouble rating a par 3 course any better than that, and with the rest of the small issues, I gave it a 2.5. I would still recommend it in a heart beat, as it is truly a classic.

Solid course for beginners

1    10/18/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Jcmb
Pros: Nice park with multiple pins and tees. well maintained and fairly easy to navigate once you get started.
Cons: Has very short holes. Was hard to find inside the park. Not very challenging but good for a beginner.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I was able to card a negative score on.

KevKool007

2-4    1/9/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: KevKool007
Pros: I liked the course with the open fields then going into the woods! You got the best of both worlds. The opening holes are mostly open fields so bring a good driver. In the woods I would use Approach and Putting Disc to there max! I have to get back and play when all the trees in the wooded area are in full bloom that should make it harder!
Cons: There is not to much I did not like about this course!
Other Thoughts: You should go play Schen if you are in the Pittsburg area.

Nice Short Course

1    6/17/2016   6/17/2016
Review By: KDinIN
Pros: - 18 Holes
- Multiple tee positions
- Multiple pin positions (though only playing once, I have only played one)
- Two Concrete two pads (and one natural tee pad per hole... finding the third pad proved difficult.)
- Navigation was pretty easy, course signs were at both tee pads and some holes had signs indicating where the next tee was.
- Nice mix of wooded and open field holes
- Nice Mach 3 baskets that catch pretty well
- A number of benches spread throughout the course
- An absolute beautiful and large city park so amenities are not far, and bringing a family would not leave them to twiddle their thumbs, sports fields, playgrounds, and a pool were just some of the things I saw on my way in.
Cons: - I took a few beginners, and we played from the Red tees, and that course layout might be the shortest course I have ever played. Plenty of Ace runs, but that meant I played mostly with my putters.
- Though this park is well maintained, after the rain, the field and the woods were a bit of a swamp. Pretty slick conditions in the woods, and most of the tee pads had some level of mud and leaves matted on them making footing a bit uncertain.
- As I mentioned, two concrete pads for three tee boxes, the third box was natural, and was usually the blue box, meaning the longest throw had the worst footing.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice little course that definitely forces someone to practice upshots. If you are going to pull out your full game, you will probably be a bit disappointed. Have the right expectations and this course comes out looking pretty nice.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6