Pittsburgh, PA
Schenley Park Share
Hole #3 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Keeping A Pittsburgh Icon Midern And Relevant!

1    7/19/2017   7/20/2017
Pros: Like Jack Benny, Schenley Disc Golf Course is 39. The question is, How do you keep a 39 year old course fresh and modern? Courses built in 1988 tend to be old, faded and outdated by now. Back in 88, the top players were maybe throwing 325'. I think Schenley has managed to age very gracefully. She's had some cosmetic surgery to alter her appearance, new baskets, new signage and the new blue tees.

Schenley Park is a massive city park. I discovered something new and exciting. Using google maps on my new phone, I can enter Schenley Park Disc Golf Course and it will lead me right to the first tee! You younger, more tech savvy guys probably knew that. No more driving around some huge park looking for the course. The area around the first tee is sweet with it's view of downtown. Very impressive! Take time to sit on one of the benches and take it all in.

There is a kiosk with course map and benches for enjoying the view. There are two sets of concrete tees and nice colored maps with the next tee arrowI. The baskets are DGA models with the greatest, most easy to read numbers ever. The numbers are orange on black and show up well from distances. They are inserted on what used to be the old school fiberglass tee signs. There is one of these easy to read numbers on the back of each tee sign. They saved me a few steps many times. Thank you for those numbers.

I played from the white tees. I say they probably play at a solid recreational level. However, I am a shaky recreational player so the Whites were a perfect challenging level for me. The shorter Reds looked to be beginner easy. I only had time to play from the whites.

The long Blues added a lot of distance, like on # 15, the white tees play 213' on this little uphill throw while the Blue tees make it a whopping 537'. So, do the Blues play at an Intermediate level or Championship level? Either way, having three distinct and different pads should keep players coming back time and time again.

The holes in the wooded area offer players Ace run after Ace run. Playing from the Whites, few of these were really easy but every one was Aceable.
Cons: Wow, my Cons are probably pretty petty. I believe the course can get busy. Not really a con but a compliment. Others have talked about it being slippery after a rain. I could believe that. As far as complaining about it being too difficult or too easy, if you can't pick a level of difficulty on this course, then I don't know what we can do to help you?

Might be a problem with a couple of the earlier holes that play near the street.

Also could be an issue on # 8 and # 12 where you are throwing over a park service road. I had to wait here for a park vehicle to pass.
Other Thoughts: Trivia question? What city has three professional sports team that all wear the same color combination? Obviously, the answer is Pittsburgh with it's famous yellow and black. My question then is why did the course designers install wonderful 8" orange/black numbers on the baskets? Why not go with the yellow and black? Just curious?

One more question? Hole 18? Did course redesigners consider having this hole play all the way around the hockey rink? Making it a true par 5? I don't know but that could be a 700' hole from the Blue tees. Just another idea?

I think Schenley is aging gracefull. I really liked playing her and would love to come back and try my luck on the Reds and the Blues.

And on another note, the Pirates ballpark, PNC field, is awesome with it's views of the downtown skyline. And while you're in Pittsburgh, have a heart clogging, Pittsburgh icon, a Primanti Brothers sandwich, gobs of meat served with cold slaw, cheese, french fries, tomato, bacon and an egg, all heaped between two thick slices of white bread. I thought my wife was going to puke!

Great course for starters and people who just enjoy playing

2-4    7/15/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: DannyC724
Pros: This is only the third course I have played at though having played a large number of times elsewhere. My usual course to go to was in California, PA. That is a tough course mainly because of the wooded portion.

This course on the other hand, is great. The first 8 holes are pretty wide open, mainly in a field. The second hole is easily the longest of the course but it is just straight downhill. One of the only courses you are safe to "let it rip" on. Once you hit hole 9, you start falling into the wooded section. Though there are a lot of trees, you will find it easily navigable and will likely not lose any discs unless they go far out of sight.

The holes placement can be changed so it is not always the same course every time.

The hole layout maps are great. They really help you decipher what could be in the way.

Holes are very well marked and there is little difficulty moving from one hole to the next.

The park itself is beautiful. Make sure you take a good look at the skyline from hole one.

Others are very nice there. Its like a big community atmosphere. I have never had any problems with other golfers.

Alcohol is permitted if you are into that.

Dogs are also permitted.

Large amount of parking available
Cons: Not really a con of the course, but it can get a little crowded. The first two times I went there were a ton of people and some of the holes run side by side so you do need to pay a little attention to your surroundings.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a nice outing around Pittsburgh, go here. You are sure to enjoy it. And if you do happen to have some trouble finding a hole, just ask. Someone will be able to help you.

Happy discing!

Old and Faithful

2-4    6/1/2017   6/1/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Schenley is a Pittsburgh classic. The first permanent course in the area, designed and put in before I was born, this course has history. I was surprised that, as a Pittsburgh player, I had not been to Schenley that many times. I had not felt the need, as people often give it a bad reputation. Well, I didn't see it as a bad course.

The course plays through a classic and beautiful Pittsburgh park, featuring grassy, rolling hills, mature trees, and a beautiful skyline view on the first few holes. Note: Any skyline view of the beautiful city of Pittsburgh is worth it, and pictures never do it justice.

The first few holes play in a large valley, with the second hole being a 500 plus downhill crush, but after that hole, you will not need more than a putter and a midrange. The course will lead you winding through the side woods of the park, not far from the hustle and bustle of the urban environment, but provides some nice, woods-style golf.

Tee signs were helpful with all knowledge that is really needed, the distance to center, tee, and all three basket locations. The Mach-III baskets were in great shape, and although they are not my favorites, they definitely served their purpose, catching most shots that needed to be caught. Concrete tees for the reds and whites were a very nice touch.
Cons: This course is in one of the busiest parks that the Pittsburgh area has to offer. On a Thursday early afternoon, I was still weaving around picnickers, sunbathers, and more non-disc golfers. This could pose a major threat, as I saw many errant throws from some of the people who play the course.

The course is not only busy with other park goers, there were a lot of golfers this day too. It gets very busy, and a lot of the holes cross paths and/or are placed very close together.

This is not a pro style course. Or really a middle level player course. It is a perfect place to work on a technical, shot shaping mid/putter game, even for my rec-level arm. I pulled out my driver maybe three times, mostly just to get stability from an overstable disc, or to throw a thumber. This is a great place to come to show new players the game, as well as enjoy a good walk in the beautiful park and city, however, you will never see a tournament here, as the crowd, holes, and park would never allow it.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my rounds at Schenley. It would be a course that I recommend for people to play, maybe once, just for the experience and the history. It was a quick round for me, taking a total of two hours tops to play two full 18 hole rounds. For an older course, it is very nice. It uses the land provided very well, and I would play it again. I teetered between a two and a half and a three, but I had trouble rating a par 3 course any better than that, and with the rest of the small issues, I gave it a 2.5. I would still recommend it in a heart beat, as it is truly a classic.

Solid course for beginners

1    10/18/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Jcmb
Pros: Nice park with multiple pins and tees. well maintained and fairly easy to navigate once you get started.
Cons: Has very short holes. Was hard to find inside the park. Not very challenging but good for a beginner.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I was able to card a negative score on.

KevKool007

2-4    1/9/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: KevKool007
Pros: I liked the course with the open fields then going into the woods! You got the best of both worlds. The opening holes are mostly open fields so bring a good driver. In the woods I would use Approach and Putting Disc to there max! I have to get back and play when all the trees in the wooded area are in full bloom that should make it harder!
Cons: There is not to much I did not like about this course!
Other Thoughts: You should go play Schen if you are in the Pittsburg area.

Nice Short Course

1    6/17/2016   6/17/2016
Review By: KDinIN
Pros: - 18 Holes
- Multiple tee positions
- Multiple pin positions (though only playing once, I have only played one)
- Two Concrete two pads (and one natural tee pad per hole... finding the third pad proved difficult.)
- Navigation was pretty easy, course signs were at both tee pads and some holes had signs indicating where the next tee was.
- Nice mix of wooded and open field holes
- Nice Mach 3 baskets that catch pretty well
- A number of benches spread throughout the course
- An absolute beautiful and large city park so amenities are not far, and bringing a family would not leave them to twiddle their thumbs, sports fields, playgrounds, and a pool were just some of the things I saw on my way in.
Cons: - I took a few beginners, and we played from the Red tees, and that course layout might be the shortest course I have ever played. Plenty of Ace runs, but that meant I played mostly with my putters.
- Though this park is well maintained, after the rain, the field and the woods were a bit of a swamp. Pretty slick conditions in the woods, and most of the tee pads had some level of mud and leaves matted on them making footing a bit uncertain.
- As I mentioned, two concrete pads for three tee boxes, the third box was natural, and was usually the blue box, meaning the longest throw had the worst footing.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice little course that definitely forces someone to practice upshots. If you are going to pull out your full game, you will probably be a bit disappointed. Have the right expectations and this course comes out looking pretty nice.

1    6/29/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: Jags
This review was updated on 10/30/2015
Pros: Nice short course with lots of ace opportunities. Beautiful views of Pittsburgh from tee #1. Worth stopping if in the area.
Cons: Being close to the city the park can get rather busy. Just watch out where your throwing your discs. Can be muddy on some holes if it rained recently. Some people don't have the patience to wait for you to move before throwing their discs. I had discs land @ my feet right next to my young children. I understand it can get crowded but have some courtesy for other people who are having to wait for people in front of them too.
Other Thoughts: I rather enjoyed this short little course. Going to have to make this a stop when I'm in the city.

5+    6/2/2015   6/2/2015
Review By: oneCarney
Pros: -Nice Lay out in the park.
-I really like wooded holes.
-Nice Short lines with a few Ace run opportunities
-Concrete tees.
Cons: -Park itself can get really crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: Great view of the City Skyline by Hole 1.
I have Aced 16 and Just today chained out from the Red Tee on Hole 2.

If you park by Hole 10 and play the back 9 first, you finish right where you park.

Decent Course

1    5/26/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: benwilly
Pros: 1. 3 tee offs at each hole providing different difficulties.
2. Directions to the next tee at most holes.
3. Large concrete slabs at the start of each tee.
4. Good variety of distances throughout the holes.
5. Course was easy to find once you enter the park.
Cons: 1. Most holes are straight shots not many left or right curve holes.
2. Some heavily treed holes making it difficult for new players
3. Could get pretty muddy after a rainy day
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course

Original course

5+    11/9/2013   11/13/2013
Review By: mlicata
Pros: Nice view from 1 -4. Some interesting shots once you go into the woods. Great elevation/tree shots. Very easy access when you are in the 'burg. Great food and drink nearby.
Cons: The course is a little worn around the edges. Some of the improvements (t-signs) are no longer as helpful due to changes and/or alternate pin placements. No need for a massive arm save one hole.
Other Thoughts: I'm lifetime PFDS #02; there at the start. The course got better from 1988 - 2005, then has been on a slow decline. Not sure why. Still a lot of fun and the bench on 13 still serves it's purpose.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5