• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Archer vs Arrow: The End of a Debate?

Maybe they tweaked plastic and/or cooling parameters, but as a toolmaker, I guarantee they didn't touch the mold. Especially if "retaining" the original also.

Why? I mean . . . they come out with a bunch of new molds every year anyway, and unless they're lying to us Innova does that for Tour Series molds.

"Tweaking the mold" doesn't necessarily mean they are actually messing with one of the mold pieces. They are just inserting a slightly different piece.

Why? I mean . . . they come out with a bunch of new molds every year anyway, and unless they're lying to us Innova does that for Tour Series molds.

Modifications to an injection mold are quite an undertaking. And unless they built totally new tops or bottoms for a mold, it's very difficult to bounce back and forth between "modifications". So maybe they rebuilt an entirely new mold the same as an existing one to make some some changes, that's possible. They would really have to love their pros to justify dropping 15k+ to make some tweaks.

They keep all their old mold pieces. They come out with old discs every once in a while. A few years back I picked up an LE Xtreme.

They keep all their old mold pieces. They come out with old discs every once in a while. A few years back I picked up an LE Xtreme.

That I understand. But you are insinuating that they are tweaking currently running production molds. I'm not following? They cant necessarily turn an old one into a different part of a new one.

It just doesn't seem to be an issue for them. I don't know. It seems like they come out with a lot of molds and then just scrap them.

And where would this extra piece go, and to what effect?
So you seem to be telling me, in a rather snarky way, that the many many posts I've seen on here referencing spacers, using different "top and bottom" pieces, etc., are all BS?...

Same mold for all plastics. You can see a small scratch that's on almost every Buzzz, where the mold is scratched.

I made a diagram for this mold part discussion on DGR.

This represents the Innova mold pieces in black, with the white area open for plastic injection. You can see how tiny spaces where the spacer and top/wing meet can cause flashing. Other companies use different setups, for instance many Discraft driver wings match on the lower wing, not the bottom edge.

The spacer is used to make the nose more blunt, and top match the top to the wing. They mix and match these parts so they need these nose spacers to make everything work, and in some cases affect the stability -- for instance the difference between a Sidewinder and Orion LS is just a matter of a nose spacer on the OLS that gives it a fatter, more stable nose.

So you seem to be telling me, in a rather snarky way, that the many many posts I've seen on here referencing spacers, using different "top and bottom" pieces, etc., are all BS?...

Hey man, I'm the farthest from snarky as your going to find. If it's coming off that way, my legit apologies. Never my intention at all.

I never said different pieces entirely couldn't be used. In fact I said that any "modifications" , especially ones that aren't permanent, would almost have to be different pieces. But then you're also making a different disc. Like the sidewinder and Orion example. Similar, but different.

My main point in all of this was any " tweaking" is much more likely to be a process thing than an actual physical mold adjustment.

Again, if things came across snarky, my apologies. Especially in regards to you Brutus. Other people here I wouldn't mind snapping at lol

Last edited:
the fr of the z flx buzz had a mix up and my bottom rim and top didnt match together to create a perfect circle frisbee

anyone have any theories on that

Ehh, no worries. I was already in a bad mood and apparently read more in your comment than you meant. One of the reasons I hate electronic life.;)

Ehh, no worries. I was already in a bad mood and apparently read more in your comment than you meant. One of the reasons I hate electronic life.;)

i prefer it

what is we had all dgcr posters in person in a room together once a night to talk about dg stuff

the fr of the z flx buzz had a mix up and my bottom rim and top didnt match together to create a perfect circle frisbee

anyone have any theories on that

You ever noticed the tiny "ledge"(I say ledge not really knowing what else to call it, lol. But basically it feels like the mold doesn't quite line up) that Z Wasps have on the nose when brand new? The last one I bought new had it and never really noticed it before. Have they always been like that or is it something new. I think that might have been the only new Z wasp I ever bought from a store. Most of the ones I've had were bought used or SE blends from tourneys...

You ever noticed the tiny "ledge"(I say ledge not really knowing what else to call it, lol. But basically it feels like the mold doesn't quite line up) that Z Wasps have on the nose when brand new? The last one I bought new had it and never really noticed it before. Have they always been like that or is it something new.

i havent bought any new discraft molds

last purchase was the z flx buzz whenever that came out

i think this ledge thing could appy to my disc too right at the plh there became a ledge right

i prefer it

what is we had all dgcr posters in person in a room together once a night to talk about dg stuff

I was just referring to sarcasm/snarkyness not showing thru in typed words. People get all angerfide over that stuff.

Like I just did.;)

i havent bought any new discraft molds

last purchase was the z flx buzz whenever that came out

i think this ledge thing could appy to my disc too right at the plh there became a ledge right

Yea. Its not flashing but more like that one side of the mold is a 32nd of an inch smaller or something. It has the same kind of feel that flashing does though. Was just wondering if they all have that and I just never noticed it before because the wasps I've mostly had already had the ledge worn off of.

Yea. Its not flashing but more like that one side of the mold is a 32nd of an inch smaller or something. It has the same kind of feel that flashing does though. Was just wondering if they all have that and I just never noticed it before because the wasps I've mostly had already had the ledge worn off of.

was yours on all your wasps or buzzes or what

was yours on all your wasps or buzzes or what

I've only noticed it on that fresh Z Wasp I mentioned... Actually, now that I think about it, the FR buzzOS I had might have had it also. It was more or less new. Was a tester that a local pro had received but only threw a few times. I guess it could just be something that happens when the flashing is removed at the factory?

Latest posts