• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag for airline travel?

ray1970

* Ace Member *
I searched and similar threads seem to be 4+ years old and since there's been a lot of new stuff out since then thought I would just start a new thread.

I have a couple of trips coming up and there will definitely be time for disc golf so I'm looking for a bag that will easily go carry-on and hold about 8-10 discs. While I'm sure I could get by just bringing my normal setup (Grip BX2 with 18 discs) I would rather travel a bit lighter.

My first thought was the Grip G2 as it seems like a decent carry-on bag even if a guy didn't even disc golf.

Something like the Infinite slinger may be an option as well.

I'm not a big fan of the small, boxy bags- mostly because I don't like bending that far down to pick it up.

Suggestions?

Sorry - but I'm going to put a vote in for the "small, boxy bags", because they take up virtually no more space than the discs themselves. That's a big deal for me, because I carry on my luggage. The small bag with roughly 10-12 discs fits into my carry-on bag.

The alternative to consider is a full size disc golf backpack that can carry your laptop or whatever you tend to have with you on the flight - as long as the backpack can be squeezed under the seat in front of you. In this scenario, you might move discs and related stuff to your carry-on, and then just swap the contents when you're converting it to its original (and rightful) purpose. Then swap contents again when preparing for the return flight.

I have one of those Innova starter bags. It holds 12 for me. I don't think it will last all that long, but I did seam-seal the inside.

I think any bag where the raw nylon sits on the wet grass is going to have a limited life.

I rarely use either but own both, the Nutsac and the Infinite Discs sling bag are my suggestions. The latter, specifically, looks like a normal sling/messenger bag and is quite cheap.

The price point on the sling bag is definitely appealing for as little as I'll probably use it. My wife has a G2 and I really like the size and overall layout and my main bag being a Grip gives it a lot of appeal for me. Just not sure if forking over a hundred dollars for a small bag that I might use a few times a year is worth it or not.

I've always kind of liked the nutsac except for the fact that it probably doesn't stand up on it's own being pretty much a round bag and (unless they've changed them) there isn't a spot for a water bottle.

First thing to consider - what MUST you have with you on the disc golf course? That will help you pick your bag. Do you need a large water bottle - 32 oz? Some bags bottle holder won't hold that large of a bottle. Do you want to be able to carry snacks? Some smaller bags don't have large enough pockets to carry much.

For example: I love my Rogue Irons Sling Bag (two disc pockets - up to 9 discs total, one small pocket for things, one bottle holder for upto 20 oz bottle). And I can fit the bag with my discs inside of a larger carry on. That works fine for me when I travel, but might not work for everyone.

I know players who can't stand a sling bag and want nothing but a backpack style and there's players who are the opposite.

So, again, first list out what you MUST have in a travel bag. Then look for bags that meet that criteria. We can give you lots of suggestions that can hold 8-10 discs, but they might not meet any other criteria you have.

Here's the link for a Rogue Irons bag....it's changed since I got mine. Holds more discs, upto a 32 oz bottle. Also, I really recommend the company. When I got my bag from them, it was supposed to fit 9 discs (3 in front pocket and 6 in main pocket). Mine only fit 8. I sent a video of the bag and me trying to fit discs into it. They asked me to measure the pockets and found out that one of the pockets was made too small. They sent me a new one very quickly. I've used the bag quite a bit with traveling and also when I'm playing a round of disc golf and want to lighten my load. Mine doesn't always stand up, but it looks like the new version is flatter on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Iron-D...=1631809735&sprefix=rogue+iron,aps,230&sr=8-2

Well, I guess I should mention my criteria for the bag and what I expect it to carry.

Pretty sure if I can pack roughly 8 discs that I'll be comfortable covering just about every shot on most courses. Could maybe do 5 or 6 but let's just say 8-10 capacity.

I would also like a way to carry some water with me even if it's only a 16 or 20oz bottle.

Probably should have room for a small towel and a marker disc and that should suffice.

Standing up on its own is a nice bonus but that might bring those boxy, lunchbox type bags into play. I've used them and my back doesn't agree with bending that far over. Bad enough I have to scoop discs up off the ground but to bend that far down for the bag too is no fun. (The not bending down more than I have to is why I generally prefer a backpack.)

Fitting it easily under the seat during my flight is a must since I'm flying on the cheap and don't want to pay for a carry-on bag and this will be my "personal item" to bring on for free.

Can't help you, I always have 2 free checked bags when I fly so I just check my Pound bag if I want a bag. But unless I'm playing some longer courses if I'm air lining I'm usually just rocking 3 discs and a thermos, maybe steal a hotel hand towel if I really need to.

I highly suggest doing an Amazon search for disc golf sling bag. There are lots of options that might fit your requirements. I do recommend the Rogue Irons Sling Bag....the new version looks awesome.

I'm 61 with a bad back and dislike bending over for my bag when I use my sling bag... I have found that on the tee pad, I can hang the strap over the sign, or the tee pad has hooks/bolts where a bag can be hung. Then on the fairway, I am frequently close to a tree and can hang the bag from a branch while I throw.

But I do understand the part about the bag falling over. That's an issue even with some backpacks. I have found that if I 'bounce' my bag on the ground, it usually stays upright.

The price point on the sling bag is definitely appealing for as little as I'll probably use it. My wife has a G2 and I really like the size and overall layout and my main bag being a Grip gives it a lot of appeal for me. Just not sure if forking over a hundred dollars for a small bag that I might use a few times a year is worth it or not.

I've always kind of liked the nutsac except for the fact that it probably doesn't stand up on it's own being pretty much a round bag and (unless they've changed them) there isn't a spot for a water bottle.

They HAVE added a water bottle pocket. Plus, there's now a premium version for more money!

You make a really good point about how it won't stand up...that never occurred to me when I was briefly considering one.

I travel for work and try to bag courses when I can. I have a Nutsac, a Voodoo Juju and another small bag, but I now prefer to use my Upper Park Pinch backpack for travel. It can hold 18-20 discs, but the bag itself is light and very flexible. So I just throw 6-8 discs in it and have plenty of room for water, a towel, an extra shirt, etc. Scrunched up, it doesn't take up much more space in my suitcase than the Nutsac. It could be used as a carry on also, if you are avoiding checked bags.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I was leaning towards the Grip G2 because it is small enough to be considered a "personal item" and I can carry it on for free even on the smaller airlines.

I have been caddying for my wife while I deal with an injury and have become familiar with her G2 and love the storage available in such a small bag.

But, now I'm leaning towards the Infinite slinger bag mostly because I really only fly once or twice a year and likely won't use the bag much beyond traveling so not sure I want or need to pay $100 for a bag I'll use once or twice a year.

My son has recently started playing and is using one of the slinger bags and for the price point it seems like a decent option and it weighs about a third of what the G2 weighs so that's also nice.

I have a few more weeks to make my mind up.

I have one of the UpperPark focus bags. It's the one with 4 slots to slide your discs in. I can fit about 9 discs in this bag and it will lay flat in my on board luggage. It's lightweight and durable. The only problem with this bag is that it doesn't hold much other stuff than your discs, wallet and keys. No drink holders.

I also have one of the Discraft branded G series bags. The G series, while small, is still much bulkier and heavier than the Upper Park Focus. If I was flying I would pick the focus. If I'm going in a car road trip with minimal space I'd take the G Series. I've got a large Grip bag for daily duty.

Thanks, everyone.

I did make a decision and went with the Infinite slinger. For what I'm wanting in a travel bag it looks like it is going to work well for me. The fact that I'll probably only use it a couple of times a year made the price factor into my decision as well.

I stuck eight of my backup discs in it so as not to travel with my main throwers and risk losing them out of state and there's plenty of room left for a few more discs, a towel, mini, etc. if I choose.

B series grip bags are perfect carry-on size. Flew with it to Texas this year. Also fit a disc box in my check bag!

Latest posts