• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball Golf and Honesty

I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice if a DGer noticed their putting style was illegal in an event and vacated their winnings.

I know a guy who drags away a side hill 4 foot curler in ball golf as a gimme. There are no gimme's in ball or disc golf. In disc golf the only cheating I have found is a guy in a tourney marking his disc with his mini at 9 o'clock on his disc to get 3 inches to the left. They get mad when you call them on it. Just stretch if you want the 3 inches. If they have no honor, they cheat everyone, but are just gutless people. Just my 2 cents

I play ball golf the same way I play disc golf: I leave the course as it is. I play my disc where it lies and if in doubt I try to be fair.

I'm not real stressed on what other people do as far as their score. In disc golf, and ball golf when I played, I just try to play true to myself. I know when I fudge the rules and I know that an amazing round with 4 mulligans isn't really that amazing. If I thought otherwise, I'd just be lying to myself.

But I'm not a tournament player, a club bag-tag player, or even a coach trying to instill sportsmanship in kids (which is a difficult and laudable task). I just like playing disc golf.

^2nd this emotion exactly. :hfive:

I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice if a DGer noticed their putting style was illegal in an event and vacated their winnings.

Very very unlikely.

Firstly, no one calls a foot fault on any 'putt-jump'. As though somehow everyone that performs this dynamic motion, does so legally... The tradeoff between giving this benefit of the doubt, vs one of the most basic tenets of this game, is something I disagree with.

And secondly, players can no longer make infraction calls on themselves, as this was considered a gamemanship loophole. Please consider the irony of this.

Dg, or at least the rules and how they are enforced, has a very long ways to go. I play way more dg than golf, but as far as integrity (not the players, but the game) I still respect golf more than dg.