• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Dye Attempt ( Vinyl Cutter )

tehCoop

I've never dye'd a disk before so I thought I would give it a shot. Buddy at work has one of those cricut vinyl cutters so i figured i test it out to see just how intricate the machine could go. here are the first 2. The skeleton was one of the early powell peralta Logos and the cricut messed up in the software side so it dropped parts of the logo out during the cut but I dye'd it anyway as it was my first one. The SubGenius one was fun as hell to do but my eyes were a little sore from peeling vinyl at the end of the night.

Love the SubGenius one.

The Powell Peralta idea was pretty cool, too bad the cutter went haywire. Looks ok regardless.

Good work!

Plotters....nothing better than the human hands!!! Great stuff though, going big on your first dyes, I like that. Keep em coming!

plotters are definitely better than the human hand..........

Not when it comes to personal satisfaction of the dye job. I do VERY intricate hand cut dyes, that no one can tell are hand cut. So satisfying.

plotters are definitely FASTER than the human hand..........

FIXED!
Plotters are only good for one thing, mass production. Hand cut work is by far better for an original piece of art.

Not when it comes to personal satisfaction of the dye job. I do VERY intricate hand cut dyes, that no one can tell are hand cut. So satisfying.

My satisfaction comes from a job well done and clean lines, not my xacto knife labor. You should use a dull razor blade instead of a sharp xacto knife. I bet it would be harder and even more satisfying (to you).

P.S. I could tell

FIXED!
Plotters are only good for one thing, mass production. Hand cut work is by far better for an original piece of art.

I draw my work on Adobe Illustrator and have my plotter cut it. Creating a work of art is not limited to pen and paper. This is the 21st century and computer illustrations are art as well.

My xactor knife skills are good, but I challenge anyone to cut a perfect circle free hand. Go ahead and trace the circle and tell me how it comes out.

Well, I hate to admit it but I am too much of a perfectionist for me to hand cut, I would never get anything done. My hands never get it right the first time, at least I don't think so.

My xactor knife skills are good, but I challenge anyone to cut a perfect circle free hand. Go ahead and trace the circle and tell me how it comes out.

There is a story that when Leonardo DaVinci was asked to prove his skills as an artist, to the pope, he drew a circle free hand that was perfect. So I doubt many out there could cut a perfect circle even tracing one.

Well, I hate to admit it but I am too much of a perfectionist for me to hand cut, I would never get anything done. My hands never get it right the first time, at least I don't think so.

There is a story that when Leonardo DaVinci was asked to prove his skills as an artist, to the pope, he drew a circle free hand that was perfect. So I doubt many out there could cut a perfect circle even tracing one.

Totally with you. I can hand cut and it looks really good, but not great or at least good enough for my eye.

Yeah, I've heard the DaVinci story before. If you don't care about perfect lines, then do it by hand. If you do care, then use a plotter.

I not saying that cutting freehand is bad. If you like cutting freehand, that more power to you. But saying that using a plotter is not artistic would be a mistake.

My satisfaction comes from a job well done and clean lines, not my xacto knife labor. You should use a dull razor blade instead of a sharp xacto knife. I bet it would be harder and even more satisfying (to you).

P.S. I could tell

I draw my work on Adobe Illustrator and have my plotter cut it. Creating a work of art is not limited to pen and paper. This is the 21st century and computer illustrations are art as well.

boy someone has a chip on their shoulder. Ever heard of using a bowl to cut your "perfect" circle.

Let's not get into the plotter v hand-cut thing, it doesn't go anywhere.

Every dye I've done is hand cut -- have a peek in my disc dye album and you'll see that perfect circles are possible without a plotter. With the exception of small text and tiny patterns, a skilled hand can do anything a plotter can.

Plotters produce great results, can't argue with that. I just prefer to do it myself :D

ha. does that make it less of a "work of art" or no?

I dont know where you got this idea that anyone said using a plotter made it less of artsy maybe you should re-read the thread.

while i admit i have no talent with a pen/blade, there is a small bit of talent ( althought not shown by me) to select or create or to digitally clean images to that so they can get cut correctly on a plotter. more nerd skills than true talent.

from here

i guess you are reading what you want and the words in front of your face are to much for you comprehend and you will assume what you wish regardless of what the words say.

Nowhere in this thread has anyone implied,said that using a plotter is less artistic. except you :D

+1 for handcut! Imperfections just make the work more unique!

Latest posts