• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flashback Friday - Am World Champions - Where are they now?

grodney

* Ace Member *
1995 - Timmy Gill
Not Current

1996 - Buddy Steen
Not Current

1997 - Thor Holoch
Not Current

1998 - Mark Luebeck
Not Current

1999 - Tim Schreder
Not Current

2000 - Mike Sommerfield
Not Current

2001 - Tony Wilson
Not Current

2002 - Wheetie French
Not Current

2003 - Justin Kerr
Not Current

2004 - Justin Jernigan
Pro
1003 Rating
1 win in 8 tourneys in 2014
1 tourney in 2013

2005 - Jack Schmalfield
Not Current

2006 - Paul Ulibarri
Pro
1022 Rating
19 tourneys in 2014
5 wins in 41 tourneys in 2013

2007 - Greg Schwartz
Pro
978 Rating
5 tourneys in 2014
13 tourneys in 2013

2008 - Jeremy Koling
Pro
1026 Rating
3 wins in 14 tourneys in 2014
5 wins in 37 tourneys in 2013

2009 - Matt Keats
Not Current

Interesting that most of these players no longer play sanctioned events.

Well, you assume that if they played more than a couple sanctioned tourneys this year, that they'd just pay the 50 bucks.

But you could be right.

Wow they are living the dream of being world champ and going pro or not pro just retiring.

2010 David Wiggins Jr.
2011 David Glassman
2012 Spencer Wilken.

All three are current pros.

None of them have won the USDGC, or worlds in the pros.

Just shows the degree of seperation.

I think it would be silly for an am champion to boycott the pdga since it was the pdga that crowned then in the first place.

None of them have won the USDGC, or worlds in the pros.

Just shows the degree of seperation.

I think it would be silly for an am champion to boycott the pdga since it was the pdga that crowned then in the first place.

Doubt any of them are "boycotting". The more likely reason they seemingly disappeared is they won Worlds at a young age and have now moved on to other things in life...jobs, families, other hobbies. Who knows?

As shocking as it might sound, disc golf isn't a lifelong obsession for everyone. People move on from it all the time.

2005 Winner Jack Schmalfield I know is living in Colorado and enjoying mountain life. I haven't seen him in a few years but last time I saw him play his skills were still top notch. His younger brother Luke is on the come up now as well.

I know J. Gary, the 1989 amateur champion, is extremely active in the Pittsburgh area and is the one spearheading the effort on the 2015 pro worlds. He bleeds disc golf still.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of PDGA members, what age they were when they joined, and what age they fell off the membership rolls, and possibly rejoined later. I would bet there's quite a bit of attrition of people who joined young around age 30 due to "life happening".

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of PDGA members, what age they were when they joined, and what age they fell off the membership rolls, and possibly rejoined later. I would bet there's quite a bit of attrition of people who joined young around age 30 due to "life happening".

"See ya when you're a Master" is the saying around here.

25-40 is usually when you get some kiddos and don't play much, until they're old enough to enjoy it (and you with them).

I suppose if Pros were averaging about 50k+ a year (average pro), this demographic would change....buuuuut that's not going to happen.

1995 Timmy Gill, 1999 Tim Schreder, both Minnesotans. Timmy Gill was the main reason the sport is where it is in Minnesota. He ran tourneys for so long, built so many courses and played so many events. He is down to just running the westside Wednesday league as his only event anymore to my knowledge. He didn't play any events the last few years until this season where he took 2nd at the crown open. He also has a teenage son. Tim Schreder is from the St. Cloud area and is married with young children. I see his name in results a couple times per year at St. Cloud tourneys only. Guessing he took the high road and made the decision to have a family life. How many of the top world class pros who play every weekend are married with kids? Very few steve brinster and that is about all.

Latest posts