• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Horror Stories of the Course

giphy.gif

This is isn't a horror story but had the potential to be one. Just the other day four of us were playing a round on a course located on a state park. Most of the course is deep in the woods. The park is located within a large state forestry which I found out allows people to hunt on. As we were playing we can hear dogs in the distant barking and eventually a gun shot. Later in the round we started to hear the barking getting closer. All of a sudden a deer comes bolting in front of us. A few seconds later a gaggle of about 10 dogs came behind us in hot pursuit. We finished that hole and moved to the next hole and all of a sudden the deer bolts across the fairway with the dogs again in hot pursuit. After the 2nd of our group tee'd off we hear a bunch a commotion and here comes the deer again. This time the 10 dogs are running in 10 different directions and were running right through our group. Pure chaos! We thought we saw some of the hunters in the distant. I hope the hunters knew there was a disc golf course in the area where the dogs were running. I can see that being potentially a really bad situation if they weren't. I might consider not playing that course again during hunting season!

I have several...

BB Owen DGC (Dallas), circa 2009 - The group I used to play with would play every saturday morning somewhere 8am. This particular week I decided to sleep in. Glad I did. They were the first ones to the course that day and found a dead guy near #18's basket. gun next to him and bullet hole in his stomach. He had committed suicide sometime overnight right by the basket. They were the ones that called 911 and reported it.

BB Owen DGC (Dallas), circa 2009 - We were playing at BBO and threw our drives on #9 (looks like it is #12 now) and my turnover shot turned way over and into the thick woods on the right. We all started looking for my disc and one of my friends calls out to us that we don't want to go any further in there. We asked why and he said just take my word for it. Somehow I found my disc on the way out of the woods...then he tells us the reason. He had come up on a homeless guy, laying on his back on the ground, completely naked except for socks. masturbating. Apparently just going at it. Glad I missed that.

Lake Arrowhead State Park DGC - Wichita Falls, TX - circa 2003 - We were camping there and playing the course. Came up to our drives which were all pretty close to the basket (course was pretty short). As we get near the basket we see something under it. Get a little closer and we see it is a baby rattle snake, right next to the pole. We considered all our putts "gimmes" and got out of there.

Fritz Park DGC - Irving TX - a couple weeks ago - Our group came up to the tee on #16. There was a guy in the fairway dressed up as a samurai and swinging an imaginary sword through the air. He was doing really crazy things. A couple guys yelled at him that we were about to be throwing towards him and to watch out. He ignored them. I walked toward him to try to calmly tell him what was going on. He looked at me (looked completely insane) and started talking gibberish about being some superhero killer and he didn't care that we had guns, he could defend against anything (we didnt have any guns). He then got on the ground and started punching it so hard I'm surprised he didnt break his fingers. We just went around him and made up a temp tee box.

Not really a horror story but one of the weirdest things I ever saw playing:

Lake Park DGC (Now Old Man DGC) - Lewisville TX - circa 2004 - There was a dude playing the entire disc golf course...backwards...using a golf club...hitting tennis balls. The dude was a little "special" I think.

Just the usual dealing with the people in front of us that don't acknowledge that we could easily play through. That ranges from know it alls making everyone else feel miserable to gaggles of kids who round every throw skyward.

Me, BennettUA, ds310a and I think Bergdawg were playing Red Owens in Easley SC when we interrupted a shirtless 50/60-something-year-old man scrambling up the bank of the creek with two very very young girls behind him.