• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to dye the rim a different (bright) color

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I just bought a Striker, yellow and transparent, in the Opto plastic. I learned the downside of this color very quickly: I live in California, where all courses are carpeted (about 330 days per year) with a nice dry bed of yellow grass. I couldn't possibly come up with a better color for a disc to camouflage it in this environment. I have no doubt: if I continue to throw it, I will lose it. I will lose it in plain sight. I'll walk in circles around it and never find it. Nevertheless, I like the stamp and what-not that is on the disc, and it is cool to display that I'm throwing a disc made by a good company that isn't Innova or Discraft.

Thus, I was wondering if there was a way to dye the rim a bright red color, or something that would add contrast to the yellow so that I won't be soon departed from this disc. I thought about doing a dark color, which could also work, but it would be nice if it were a color that would also be visible in lower light conditions, as the winter is approaching and sunlight will soon become scarce.

i wonder if you could cut a circle to match the inner diameter of the disc perfectly lay it in and dye the inner rim by filling the disc up, pouring it out and removing the vinyl. just an idea.

Do you want just a circle around the outer edge of the flight plate, or do you want the inner rim/wing dyed also? Just a ring on the flight plate would be cake.

If you wanted to dye the entire wing area, this is my suggestion: Cut a vinyl circle just a bit smaller than the I.D. and attach on the bottom. Mask the flight plate with the same size circle and then dunk your entire disc in (color) Rit for a day.

ChUcK said:
Do you want just a circle around the outer edge of the flight plate, or do you want the inner rim/wing dyed also? Just a ring on the flight plate would be cake.

If you wanted to dye the entire wing area, this is my suggestion: Cut a vinyl circle just a bit smaller than the I.D. and attach on the bottom. Mask the flight plate with the same size circle and then dunk your entire disc in (color) Rit for a day.

That method has worked well for me. Same color scheme also, red on yellow.

JHern said:
I just bought a Striker, yellow and transparent, in the Opto plastic. I learned the downside of this color very quickly: I live in California, where all courses are carpeted (about 330 days per year) with a nice dry bed of yellow grass. I couldn't possibly come up with a better color for a disc to camouflage it in this environment. I have no doubt: if I continue to throw it, I will lose it. I will lose it in plain sight. I'll walk in circles around it and never find it. Nevertheless, I like the stamp and what-not that is on the disc, and it is cool to display that I'm throwing a disc made by a good company that isn't Innova or Discraft.

Thus, I was wondering if there was a way to dye the rim a bright red color, or something that would add contrast to the yellow so that I won't be soon departed from this disc. I thought about doing a dark color, which could also work, but it would be nice if it were a color that would also be visible in lower light conditions, as the winter is approaching and sunlight will soon become scarce.

I always found that dyed discs are harder to find than solid colors.

Roy said:
I always found that dyed discs are harder to find than solid colors.

Not when the disc is as clear as the Opto line is.
My trident is clear, and if it didn't jive with how I throw so well, I'd be scared to throw it each and every time.
(Dyed a fish on her, much easier to find now)

When I'm dyeing the rim of a disc, I cut 1/2" strips of vinyl and apply very slowwwwly by hand in a circle, sorta like pin-striping for custom car paint jobs. . You can try to cut and center a big circle of vinyl, but I've tried, and just prefer to do it by hand.

huh, never tried it that way. How do you seal the place where the two ends meet?

i bought a circle cutter that is designed for scrap booking or something. It is a circluar plastic thing with an arm that extends to different diameters. It works great and makes for really clean circles when compared to trying to trace one on my lightbox. good investment fo 15$

Thanks for the suggestions!

Does the dye job change the grip/feel at all?

pink works great too on yellow and tan discs taht are dirt/dead vegetation colored discs!

osborne said:
i wonder if you could cut a circle to match the inner diameter of the disc perfectly lay it in and dye the inner rim by filling the disc up, pouring it out and removing the vinyl. just an idea.

i am currently trying this out right now, ill let ya know how it turns out.

teerex1.jpg

teerex.jpg

didnt have my camera on me, just the celly phone. not exactly just the rim, but same principle.

Looks nice! And much easier to find in brown/yellow grass.

OK, I've got to try this now. And not just the Striker. I know its a slippery slope, and that I'll soon be dying all sorts of discs.

I took my yellow riot, flipped it upside down and filled it with my tie-dye mix of soap and rit and let it sit for a while. The wing is yellow and the flightplate is blue-ish.

Holy shit that is a dark, danky blue- nice! Did you dye both surfaces of the wing?

Latest posts