• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need to upgrade my Skillshot.

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
This piece of junk has pissed me off for the last time, the wire that keeps the upper umbrella arms up and extended keeps breaking so it turns into a chitty looking Gateway Bullseye. I'd like something I can keep outside permanently but can still drag it around the yard a bit. It just has to catch better than a SkillShot so that shouldn't be hard to beat. I don't really want to drop $300 but I'd consider going pretty close for some quality that will last awhile.

I've read through some of the threads but wondered if anybody had a fresh perspective. The Westside Black looks really good for the price, too good really. It looks kind of junky.

I post in all the basket threads so it is far from fresh perspective but...

You get what you pay for. Each jump in price is a jump in quality. IMO the best bang for your buck is the DB 5 at $210 though it is really heavy if you want to move it around, it is the lowest cost galvanized basket and if you want something that will last forever that is what you want. The Black basket is fine and extremely light weight, so light weight that it needs to be secured down to prevent tipping over, that almost negates how easy they are to move around. Discatcher sports are ok and are easily modified to add an inner set of chains, however the paint isn't high quality and they show their age.
If money isn't a big deal buy what you play on, all baskets have slightly different sweet spots so why practice on something that you don't play on.

Thanks Giles, I appreciate all your posts on this matter. :thmbup:

If money isn't a big deal buy what you play on, all baskets have slightly different sweet spots so why practice on something that you don't play on.
That's great advice but the courses around me use different types of baskets, generally 50/50 between Recent-ish Machs and DisCatchers with some old Machs mixed in here and there.

I think I'm leaning towards DB-5 at this point.

Im happy with my Costco basket. Added 3 light duty chains to the inside which I already had around but the **** works for $80 and so easy to take apart if need to transport. I had a skillshot before so I feel you'

This basket is by no means perfect but for the price id buy another when on sale for sure. I think someone on here got them at clearance pricing of like $47

I didn't modify my DB until I had my course. It was almost better without inner chains because it made less noise. Super easy to add chains to it. "S" hooks at the top and bottom. 2/0 straight link zinc chain. The bottom ring is the harder part to find. Search online for a 3" welded ring. I found mine at a feed store, I think it is for a bull nose ring?

Attachments

• IMG_8157.jpg
    IMG_8157.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 35
That Costco basket is intriguing but I have enough DIY projects I'm putting off already. Hmm.