• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i suck

I suggest you start playing Ultimate. I love it, and if you don't figure out snap that way, I don't know if you will.

definately not the same for me. I can throw an ultimate disc backhand really far. Usually over everyones head on the throw off. I can only throw a disc golf disc backhand 150 feet tops.

I am also going to disc down. I am totally new but played so much over the last week that i totally screwed my arm up. Pulled a muscle and maybe induced a little tendonitis.

I am going to use my aviar, buzz, and a leopard for backhand and try not to throw forehand for a while (i can throw 300 feet forehand but it started to hurt). I might buy a few more mids like another buzz in a different plastic and maybe a lighter dx leopard or cheetah.

Ill save my teebird and starfire for when i can actually throw the others one good (without pain)

sounds like a great plan. Try throwing the buzzz and aviar more to get that accuracy and snap down I guess.

I wish I could limit myself, but I just have too many discs to not bring em out :D

I'll jump in here with the others. From my experience, it's all about second shots and putting. I play with a friend on a regular basis and, consistently, out throw him on the drives. Still, I was losing about 70% of the time because of his putting and second shots, until I started worked on my putting. Lately it is the other way around. It kills me how much focus is on drive distance...in my experience tee drive placement, approach and putting is all you need. Now I am driving about 50' less, but placing better for my second shot, which is either on or within 15 feet from the basket.

AG

When I try too hard, I start to stiffen on my drives. My lower body, hips, don't move naturally with the flow of the throw and Teebirds become over stable. I have to remind myself that it isn't life or death out there... relax and have fun... and the flow returns along with nice drives down the middle of the fairway. I don't throw anything backhand over 10 speed any more. (I think the SOLF is a 10 speed disc). There just isn't any point. As I move into "Grandmaster" territory, increasing drive distance loses its importance. I just want to play from the fairway... and I play there more often when I'm relaxed and having fun with my friends.

I call it 'old lady golf'. I try like hell to play it since i have no arm. Short, straight and don't make a big mistake. If you can do that and putt well, you can play with most people.

If you can throw 300' in any direction and keep it in the fairway, you can win any Int division and some Adv tourneys.

First of all, lets get some things straight. Putting does not automatically win tourneys. I played a tournament and only missed one putt inside of 30' and still finished 16th out of 27 for the intermediate division. Unfortunately, the one I missed hit chains and fell out on my only birdie attempt that day from inside the circle.

My drives were half the time just 50-60 feet out, hit a tree, or the basket was over 400 feet out. My second shots were inconsistent as well with some great shots and then some that put me in jump putting distance (my jump putting didn't work that day). The weather wasn't cooperative, either, with big wind gusts and random rain throughout the day. I shouldn't use that as an excuse, though, because my disc selection was poor on some shots.

My point is that just great putting doesn't make you competitive. Good control on your drives and solid approaches will make you competitive. Once you have that down, putting will only push you to the top or drop you down.

I think solid driving and approaches is more important than putting. I have been practicing my putting almost every day and I am now a great putter. I have noticed my scores have been stagnating or even getting worse by a stroke or two lately. The reason is that my putting has been hiding my bad drives and approaches because I have been hitting almost all the 20 to 30 footers that come around.

I think that before you really concentrate on your putting, you should concentrate on getting your drives consistent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't practice putting, but you should put more time into driving until you get to the point where your putting practice can pay divendends. That is why I started putting more effort into controlling my drives so I can use my putting for birdies instead of saving pars.

First of all, lets get some things straight. Putting does not automatically win tourneys. I played a tournament and only missed one putt inside of 30' and still finished 16th out of 27 for the intermediate division. Unfortunately, the one I missed hit chains and fell out on my only birdie attempt that day from inside the circle.

My drives were half the time just 50-60 feet out, hit a tree, or the basket was over 400 feet out. My second shots were inconsistent as well with some great shots and then some that put me in jump putting distance (my jump putting didn't work that day). The weather wasn't cooperative, either, with big wind gusts and random rain throughout the day. I shouldn't use that as an excuse, though, because my disc selection was poor on some shots.

My point is that just great putting doesn't make you competitive. Good control on your drives and solid approaches will make you competitive. Once you have that down, putting will only push you to the top or drop you down.

I think solid driving and approaches is more important than putting. I have been practicing my putting almost every day and I am now a great putter. I have noticed my scores have been stagnating or even getting worse by a stroke or two lately. The reason is that my putting has been hiding my bad drives and approaches because I have been hitting almost all the 20 to 30 footers that come around.

I think that before you really concentrate on your putting, you should concentrate on getting your drives consistent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't practice putting, but you should put more time into driving until you get to the point where your putting practice can pay divendends. That is why I started putting more effort into controlling my drives so I can use my putting for birdies instead of saving pars.

Approach shots right under the basket make anyone great at putting.

There is no right answer. Get good at everything and you will win. If you are dominantt enough at one thing you can still win with another bad talent. There is no formula. Only players. Find your happy place and go play.

'A man has to know his limitations'
- Dity Harry

I have to agree with a lot of folks above. :)
1) Practice to drive accurately...distance will come, but accuracy is the most important factor.
2) Practice approach shots to get within a comfortable putting distance.
3) Practice putting within your comfort zone so you're making 8/10 or better so you "know" you're going to make the putt with a decent upshot.

I've also played a few tourneys, and the ones where I was bad off the tee (hit trees 50 ft out) I struggled royally...any other time I was making par easily and often had opportunities for birds (some long, some short). The key was not trying to throw my drives 300' (even though I CAN throw over 300'), because my accuracy is not up to par on those drives at this time...

Good luck, and have fun!

even my teebirds act really overstable for me i've heard on here how straight they go so i bought a dx one to beat in fast so maybe that will stay straighter as far as the star one it still acts overstable
New Teebirds, even DX, are relatively overstable.

I like the idea of keeping with the slower discs. Focus on late, late acceleration. Slow everything down until the disc is at your right pec and then accelerate at like 50%-70%. Once you get the feel for that you can add power.

New Teebirds, even DX, are relatively overstable.

I like the idea of keeping with the slower discs. Focus on late, late acceleration. Slow everything down until the disc is at your right pec and then accelerate at like 50%-70%. Once you get the feel for that you can add power.

As said above, TB's are still pretty stable no matter the plastic. The only thing that throwing DX vs Star/Champ will ensure is that the DX will break in much faster than the latter.

Try a Leopard or Cheetah for drivers, and as said previously, start learning to throw a mid and putters. The mids/putters will show your issues much faster, and the correct form that you'll acquire throwing these discs will translate directly over to drivers.

Watch these videos too, and then go practice in a field. I guarantee they will help your game more than anything else.

More Snap 2009 Part #1

More Snap 2009 Part #2

Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beto

Latest posts