• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Let's talk G-Star

I'll preface things: I prefer softer plastic in general…all seasons, all types of molds. To me at least with a stiff disc it doesn't feel like I'm gripping or holding onto the disc, more like the disc is there and my hand is simply on it. A softer plastic feels like I actually have command of it in my hand. Don't like super floppy though, just a good outer tactile grip and some flex in the disc.

I like gstar. Initially tried it out due to it being advertised as gummy, I believe at some point very early on Dave D was saying he wanted to recreate the feel of the gummy 11x era pearly champion plastic. Some colors/runs seem firmer or softer but that's no different than regular star or champion plastic. I'll agree with what's been said earlier, most molds the flight in gstar seems to be spot on, which became a secondary reason for liking the plastic. I don't get out to play nearly as much anymore, and as nice as some of the jolly launcher champion has been in recent years it all starts out fairly beefy and takes some time to break in.

Gstar and the softer blends of pro plastic are fairly underrated I think. More durable than a lot of people think, natural flight out of the box, and great to throw this time of year. Biggest downsides are color choices, I agree not a ton of super bright colors…for some reason I've drifted to reds and blues primarily so color hasn't been an issue for me. Try to avoid greens for obvious summer reasons and yellows and oranges for the fall so red and blue work. I'll also toss pink and dayglow sometimes.

Only other negative I have towards gstar is glow golf. Typically I prefer to play with glow plastic or champion where I can tape an led on the underside of the plate. Just seems like I've had better luck with lights staying on if they're underneath as opposed to on top so I won't use stuff that's not translucent.

Poor man's pro tip: gstar firebirds are a great substitute for a Sexton firebird if you want something more workable. G line pd's absolutely smash also, as well as cd2's. Lot of great gstar flyers if you're willing to dabble.

Just seems like I've had better luck with lights staying on if they're underneath as opposed to on top so I won't use stuff that's not translucent.

The led isn't banging into as much and is better protected when it's taped underneath the disc. When it's on top it will bang into things and get loosened, also sliding in and out of your bag, when it's underneath it won't rub up against other discs, on top it will.

Poor man's pro tip: gstar firebirds are a great substitute for a Sexton firebird if you want something more workable. G line pd's absolutely smash also, as well as cd2's. Lot of great gstar flyers if you're willing to dabble.
Hey, now. No giving away the "GStar Firebirds fly like Sextons" secret. :mad:

It's all good, gstar doesn't automatically subtract 30 points from your credit score like bagging a Sexton does so we're safe.

FTFY:rolleyes:

Love Gstar...I was a bit of a hater at first but it's certainly grown on me.

Latest posts