• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low Cost and Great Performing Backyard Target

Spectre742

I "inherited" the lower basket part of the target from a friend. It was off of one of his old targets. I repainted it and fixed it up. I then added an old mountain bike rim (free) and tire chains ($5) from a thrift store. I clipped the tire chains with bolt cutters and secured them with a little wire and JB weld. Works like a champ and looks decent!:thmbup:

Attachments

• basket new.jpg
    basket new.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 221
a buddy of mine made a nearly identical basket. it works just fine and is portable. nice work.

Nice job, I really like the bike rim idea.

I made my own but I failed to take into consideration all the sharp angles that bang up my discs. Ive since put foam tubing all over the brackets. I was also thinking that I could get this done for under $75. But after all said and done I could of bought one.
DiscBasket005.jpg

I am in the process of making my own basket too. OP, how did you secure the chains to the bike rim so that they won't slide?

Yep, Shelving brackets screwed onto a round table blank from home depot. The top is also a table blank just a little bigger. I liked the idea of building my own basket but I think your better off in the long run splurging a little bit and buying a Innova skillshot or DGA portable.

The bottom is plywood- painted and sealed. To attach the chains to the rim use bolt cutters to clip a notch out of the chain so it fits over the spoke. A little twist of mechanics/ bailing wire will secure it to the rim. I then put a spot of JB weld on the wire to assure there is no slideage...

Can anyone recommend a simpler way to attach the chains to the bike wheel? I don't have a welder laying around... Obviously zip ties would work but what about keeping them in place?

you can use an old inner tube wrapped around your mounting point to provide the friction, once ziptied, to prevent the chains from moving. has worked well for my disc catcher sport inner chain mod.

Nice job! That's better looking than most of them I've seen.:thmbup:

Latest posts