• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag + Questions about disc impact on form

Macaria

Vitals:
Playing two years
Right-handed
Backhand dominant but fairly ambidextrous

Distances:
Putter: 220-260
Mid: 260 - 280
Driver: 295 - 345

As you will see below, I like to keep my bag to as few molds as possible and rather play with differences in weight and wear to get a variety of shots from those discs.

Medium-term goals:
Consistency of drives
Getting my DDX-s to fly properly without forcing it or changing my go-to driver

Putters:
2x Zero Medium Caltrop - For inside circle putting.
2x Zero Hard Pure - For outside circle putting, straight approaches, straight teeshots.
BT Medium Harp & VIP Harp - BH and FH approach shots that need more overstable putters. BT plastic when I don't want a skip, VIP when I'm hoping for one or throwing with more power.

Midrange:
4x Champion Roc3 - Every conceivable midrange shot, love them. Have two in 172g and two in 180g with all of them at different levels of wear and tear.

Fairway:
2x Opto Saint Pro & 3x Gold Saint Pro - Go to disc for fairway shots. Discs with different levels of wear and tear and between 167g to 175g. Opto has more glide and Gold works better for me for FH.
Opto Fury - Roller disc. Or for the occasional sky anny that I never want to come back.
C-Line FD3 - For windy weather conditions or whenever I need an overstable disc.

Drivers:
2x S-Line DDx & C-Line DDx - weights are 167, 172 and 175. Main distance disc if I have an open field to go for more of an s-like trajectory or if I want a nasty skip.

Problems are galore, but the main one I'm currently trying to solve is related to distance drives. I have struggled to find a good fit for my current level with previous experimentations with different drivers having been either too understable or too overstable for a max distance throw for me. The DDx comes very close and I really like the disc, but I find myself forcing the disc over to get any kind of expected distance and I'm wondering whether I should switch to something more understable…. and then I get the shot that I'm looking for but rarely accomplish and the DDx flies just beautifully with holding its line. And then I think I shouldn't start switching up again, I just need to become a bit better at my technique - and then I start forcing it again and feel as though I'm learning wrong form.

I got to try a Tournament Sword a while back and it felt really good so I'm gonna try to get one of those for myself to see if it really is so. If you have any other suggestions, then I'll definitely try those out!

But the more general question for me remains. Does it matter if I change the disc? Will it impact developing my form or is it all the same in the long run? I don't want to be one of those people who is always swapping out discs to get better at the game when the real problem is technique. But at the same time if the disc I have is having an effect on how I throw the disc, it seems like something to be concerned with.

Also any general comments on my setup are greatly appreciated - it's always great to hear other people's perspectives to what you're doing :)

Reading your post my first thought was Sword, then saw you have one...so that should be about right. I definitely think you should throw less overstable distance drivers if you need to flex the DDX's. Also I think at that distance range, being in the speed 11-12 category isn't a bad thing as I feel like those discs typically get more lift. Of course the DDX is fast and has more fade, and will be great for those skip shots. No reason not to add less stable discs to complement the DDX.

I definitely think you should have distance drivers you feel like you want to release with a slight hyzer, I don't think it's a good mentality to step up to the teepad thinking "This is my fast disc, I need to throw it hard and start it with a good turn, or else it's going to end up 60' left". You should think that you want to snap a clean slight hyzer or flat release, and the disc will blast out there and carry with its speed and glide.

So keep throwing that Sword, and I'd also consider something like a star Sidewinder or Roadrunner. For someone in your distance range, they may go as far or farther than any other disc and will make you trust that slight hyzer release. They will be a great tailwind or downhill distance driver to fly forever. You'll still get use out of the DDX's and Sword, they will cut through wind better and deal with low ceilings. But I think you'd gain a lot out of something like a SW or RR.

Latest posts