• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first dye / first post!

BleedsOrange

Hello all this is my very first dye and very first post here on the forum I have been playing disc golf since 2003 and have always wonder how to dye so I finally got some used disc and supplies to give it a shot. Here are the materials I used: swivel xacto, contact paper, dye from custome disc dyes ebay store, 91% alcohol to mix with dye, paint brushes cuz I painted it, and then acetone to remove the stamp. I had I lot of trouble transferring to cut contact paper to the disc cuz I did not want to cut it out on the disc it self so I taped the contact paper clear side up to a cutting board and circle for my disc and then placed the art down and started to cut. Then after that I carefully peeled the back of the contact paper off and with some work I got the drawing to stay on the paper I didn't know where to find or how to use transfer tape, so I laid it down on a flat surface and then placed my disc on ther and smoothed and stretched it out to where there were no bubbles and then picked away the pieces I want to dye and I then heated it up just a little with a blow dyer and smoothed then paper out again and then applied the dye with a brush leaving it on there for about 1 min then wiped with paper towel and applied 4 total coats doing that and then I used luke warm water to peel the contact paper off after the 4th coat and washed the disc with soap and this is how it turned out. Let me know if you have any pointers or how I could do a better job I would greatly appreciate all the help. I live in the DFW area in Texas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 78
Looks good. You can use painters tape for delicate surfaces as transfer tape. I have also used contact paper as a transfer tape. Not sure how well that would work on contact paper if it would be too sticky or not. But you can remove some of the tack from your transfer tape by running it over your pants (Like you were removing lint) before you use it as transfer tape. That obviously worked for you. You can also use the acetone to mix with your dye and paint. But my preferred method for a single color dye is to dip dye. The dye of choice now is idye poly. But if you look at the dye alternatives thread you can find other options. Welcome to the site. Welcome to disc dying. And that is a very nice first dye. You should have seen what my first one looked like. :\

Thank you so much for the response I greatly appreciate the confidence boots to know I am doing something right. I need to get some kind of transfer tape to use so when I pull the contact paper backing off my stencils doesn't want to go with. I have box of idye poly thing just not sure how to use it and I was afraid of spilling to the back side if disc. That and I want to figure out how people do one with a lot of different colors. Not sure if you do outline and then put another stencil/ contact paper on and if you do how to you keep it all lined up?

Latest posts