• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post pics of your Disc Dog

CaliintheBag_zps38c9ae4d.jpg

This is Cali and this is how she spent the 2nd round of her first ever disc golf tournament.

She is quite a bit older now (just over 2 years old) but I still think this is my favorite disc related picture of her.

he's not allowed at the disc golf course anymore because of his desire to snatch discs out of mid air, but thats ok, because we go to the dog park after where I can practice throws with him a ton anyway. WIN WIN!

I wondered about that. When I first got my pup (before i started DG) i wanted him to do the same & fetch & catch frisbees. So glad he never wanted to chase discs as now I love bringing him with me.

I wondered about that. When I first got my pup (before i started DG) i wanted him to do the same & fetch & catch frisbees. So glad he never wanted to chase discs as now I love bringing him with me.

My dog has her disc that she loves to chase and catch. But she knows which one is hers. I haven't tried to take her onto the course, but my wife tested her a little in the yard by throwing some of my putters. She showed very little interest in them, waiting instead for her disc to fly.

Got a little disc fetcher, but she won't get them unless I tell her too. She has to flip them upside down so that they down drag the ground lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 71
My dog has her disc that she loves to chase and catch. But she knows which one is hers. I haven't tried to take her onto the course, but my wife tested her a little in the yard by throwing some of my putters. She showed very little interest in them, waiting instead for her disc to fly.

Nice. What is odd is he still has 2 dog discs that he'll gladly chase around & catch in the house...but if i take him outside he shows 0 interest even in "his" discs.

Now throw a stick (especially in the water)... and its on.

the frisbee catching wasn't something i totally planned for my dog, but at the dog park he'd just stare intently at the other dogs that were awesome disc catchers (usually boarder collies and Australian shepherds) so I decided to try it out.

anything to tire him out quicker is key for him, because he's a working dog that doesn't actually have cattle/sheep to heard, he can get worn out quick by tracking down discs. they say you need to work blue heelers/cattle dogs at least 3 hours a day.... but one hour of chasing down and jumping high for discs usually wears him out enough.

before that he was really into skying high for bounced balls:

525b43192e00a93a13e0e638712c5422.gif

what I really like is its a way to tire him out quicker and for me to be able to practice throwing a disc. I use a really light [maybe around 75g] aerobie brand "dogbie" disc and the thing can actually get out pretty far (maybe even 200ft) when you hyzer it into a slight headwind.

whats funny is that some official dog discs are made in the innova factory and are just repurposed models such as the sonic (and even have innova hot stamps on the underside). i bought the sonic (which is just a sub 130g champion plastic putter) and it really helped me learn how to drive with putters.

but the plastic is tough and numerous times my dog would sky into the air and clamp down and fall with the disc and cut his tongue/teeth/gums and be a bloody mess. so i stuck with the lighter floppy aerobie dogbie disc which is pretty easy to bomb and is extremely durable anyway.

This is the one and only time I've brought him out, he gets too excited to play fetch haha. Great dog, super obedient and smart but he will stop at nothing to fetch. When he gets older, ill bring him along more.

I've got a lab mix that looks just like him. She doesn't chase anything but rabbits (yes, she has caught one), but she loves to wallow in the creek water at the dg course. :)

I've got a lab mix that looks just like him. She doesn't chase anything but rabbits (yes, she has caught one), but she loves to wallow in the creek water at the dg course. :)

Mine just caught and killed a baby rabbit. I didn't think he had it in him.

This is Bella when she was a pup. She's a purebred heeler rescued on vacation in MS. Girlfriend suckered me into it go figure... Best dog I've ever had loves discs and playing around. Best manners and loves people. Only problem is she needs lots of excercise, she often wears me out. I'd love to take her with but many of the courses don't allow dogs. It's a bummer she has best off leash manners and minds her own business, plus she's got a great nose on her. Loves finding discs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 57
Kodi dreaming of aces and uno begging to get on the course

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407901093246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407901093246.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1407901135359.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407901135359.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 45
This is Bella when she was a pup. She's a purebred heeler ... plus she's got a great nose on her. Loves finding discs.

That's the holy grail, there. A dog who actually finds discs. I'm sure most of them could if they knew how much we wanted them to.

She's pretty good about sniffing them out sometimes it takes a bit. She'll loose them in the air most times but usually always finds them. Funny to see when I give up looking and here she comes with it. Best dog ever!

DSCF5441.jpg

He will get the floaters from the water. Sinkers that are not too deep as well.

Latest posts