• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy F5

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Hey Prodigy guys. Just looking for some insider info on the F5. I have a 750 plastic F5 and really like it. But I'm looking to pick up a few more to play with and looking for a few specific things from it.

So first off, my 750 F5 is a weird disc. First thing is that it doesn't appear to be like most "normal" F5's. Meaning, it's much thinner overall and has an almost perfectly flat top. And is thin overall. Whereas on Infinite Discs website, they list the F5 as having a 1.9cm overall height or depth, yet mine is NOWHERE near that tall. It is actually one of the thinnest flattest discs of my 40+ discs I own! And then they say this in the description: "At 1.9cm tall, the F5 is significantly taller than the existing fairway drivers, which all have a height of 1.5cm. This disc is very domey." So all of that confuses the hell out of me, and makes me wonder if I got some sort of weird one off run from Prodigy that is NOT the norm for the F5? Or is it possible to get other flat top thin F5's? Here's a picture of what a "normal" F5 looks like. And it is SUPER domey looking compared to mine. So is this what a "normal" F5 looks like. Tall and super domey?
F5_500_Plastic_First_Run_Green_Profile_300x.jpg

And the second thing about it, is it's flight. It says it's supposed to be a 7/5-1.8/1 flying disc. Which you would think that would mean, if thrown flat or on a slight hyzer, that it would go straight for a bit, then just keep leaking out right on a nice soft anhyzer type line. But mine is not like that. It's more like a 7/5/-.5/2 or something like that. It has a slight turn or leak right, but then comes back for sure to the left near the end with a fairly noticeable fade. Not a hard dump or anything like a really O/S disc, but it ALWAYS comes back left to fade.

Whereas my Goldline Maul that has very similar flight #'s ALWAYS turns right and keeps going that way if thrown flat or even on a slight hyzer. So I'm very confused about why my specific F5 flies much more stable than the #'s indicate. And just wondering what the avg or normal F5 flies like?

So I like the fact that it's a thinner disc overall and a fairly flat top. It is KILLER for S shape FH's and is one of my most reliable and overall straight flying FW discs I rely on for tight tunnel shots. But the odd fade it has right at the end messes with my throws and mind. Because I'm never sure HOW much it's going to fade at the end. Sometimes it fades a lot, other times a little. It's NEVER the same and I hate that part of it. The first 3/4 of it's flight is so nice. Straight or a slow leak out right. PERFECT for tight wooded courses or when you need to pipe a shot. But the inconsistent fade at the end is acceptable and makes shots so hard to determine what the outcome is going to be.

So just wondering what the domy-ier versions of the F5 fly like? And does anyone else have any of these flatter top, thinner F5's, and how do they work for you. Would a domy-ier F5 be longer and glidier or about the same distance? More control, less control? Straighter or more turn? Less fade at the end or about the same?

So what I'd really like to find is an F5 that is more like it's #'s. So that I could throw it on a hyzer flip, and it just pushes forward straight the whole way with either a tiny fade left, or a tiny leak to the right at the end. And is long. Or if thrown flat, would ride a soft barely turning right anhyzer type flight path the whole way.

And then also, what do the different plastics do for the flight of the F5? 400, 400G, 500, and 750.

Thanks

I have two F5's but haven't thrown them much. Mine are the 400 plastic I think. They are definitely on the flatter side. Not sure about the 1.5 1.9 thing but although they are fairly flat on top the depth of the rim is definitely deeper than what I'm used to with something like an FD.

I always read that info as "Infinite's" description rather than Prodigy's. I haven't seen that language used elsewhere. I also tend to find that an F1, for instance, is shaped similarly. So, I think Infinite took some latitude there in their description.

I have thrown F5s for a long time (I even have a Big Jerm signature somewhere). They never felt "tall" and I always found that description odd.

Kevin Jones showed the stability of the F5 in World's coverage (no spoilers, don't worry!).

I tend to see 7,5, -1, 2 in 400. I found the 500 a bit less stable. But, it's certainly possible to turn them over in all plastics.

They tend to rise slowly from the rim to center. But, I don't usually see that as domey as your image.

I actually just sold 8 - 4 in 400 glimmer and 4 500 first runs. I love F5s. I have too many...

I cannot speak to 750, but I never found them overly domey/tall/bulky in 350, 400, 400G, or 500.

For what it's worth, I think the disc really shines in 500.

I meant 7, 5, -2, 1 in my response. That was my for sale post, as well. They're en route to someone right now...

I always read that info as "Infinite's" description rather than Prodigy's. I haven't seen that language used elsewhere. I also tend to find that an F1, for instance, is shaped similarly. So, I think Infinite took some latitude there in their description.

I have thrown F5s for a long time (I even have a Big Jerm signature somewhere). They never felt "tall" and I always found that description odd.

Kevin Jones showed the stability of the F5 in World's coverage (no spoilers, don't worry!).

I tend to see 7,5, -1, 2 in 400. I found the 500 a bit less stable. But, it's certainly possible to turn them over in all plastics.

They tend to rise slowly from the rim to center. But, I don't usually see that as domey as your image.

I actually just sold 8 - 4 in 400 glimmer and 4 500 first runs. I love F5s. I have too many...

I cannot speak to 750, but I never found them overly domey/tall/bulky in 350, 400, 400G, or 500.

For what it's worth, I think the disc really shines in 500.

Interesting, thanks for the personal take/info. Really odd that the description is so off from the reality. They need to update that bad.

And also odd that you feel the 500 plastic is LESS stable than the 400. Isn't the 500 supposed to be stiffer and more O/S than most of the other plastics (except maybe the 750)?

Thanks for the info, I think I need to find some more of these and give them a whirl :thmbup:

The other question now is... when is Prodigy expected to get more F5's out there to the retailers? There's almost nothing to choose from right now. Only 1 place has a small but decent selection, but only the 400 plastic.

In my limited experience, 500 is as you describe it except for stability. I only threw 500 blends in F5s and FX-2s.

I really like the feel of 500 plastic. It takes that "gumminess" of 400 away without feeling like 400G. I wouldn't call it "stiff" but your observation is also what I see (again, just not necessarily more OS).

It also just could be a variance in the 500 F5s. Let's not overlook the years of trouble in this regard for the folks at Prodigy. I have a stack of D1s that might as well be entirely different discs.

I haven't thrown a 750 plastic mold in a few years. It was an X3. It wasn't anything that blew my mind or I'd still thrown them.

To be clear: my experiences very well might not align with those of others.

I still think that 500 is my favorite blend of theirs.

I wish I was more of a Prodigy, er, well, prodigy. Alas, I'm just a dummy on the Internet.