• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting FH

Baseballadp

Birdie Member
I wouldn't want to even though I'd be more accurate, but is there a reason people don't putt forehand more?

It's all about touch. FH motion just brings too much heat.

#1. Grip. BH uses all four fingers, easier to control all your angles. I sometimes use all four fingers putting FH, but still don't have near the same control of the angles.

#2. Swing line/arc. BH can swing back and forth in a long straight line from your center. FH putt is outside your center and can't swing in a long straight line, but has to arc around. To putt FH you need a really compact motion using weightshift where the disc just pops off the fingers without the arm moving much.

#3 Spin. Much easier to spin BH than FH.

I wouldn't want to even though I'd be more accurate, but is there a reason people don't putt forehand more?

Tried a turbo putt? Based on your name maybe the whole overhand throw thing would feel more natural.

But I wouldn't be good I think. It's a good idea though

I'll say this - keep working on a traditional push or spin putt backhand, but maybe also try practicing a turbo. There are a few pros who bust out the technique to some success, including JohnE McCray and Dutch Napier(sp?).

You can only do two of three things with a forehand putt

1. Put enough snap on your disc to achieve a straight trajectory
2. Throw with the proper amount of touch to be accurate
3. Throw hard enough to have a chance to reach the basket

You're better off working on a backhand putt. However if you're determined to achieve a sweet flick with a putter into the chains you should figure out at what distance can you no longer comfortably and reliably putt and make that the range you practice flick putting because that can be more accurate than backhand.

Because FH's are so easy to throw and require so little "oomph", I do use them for "putts" in the 50-75 foot range.

I do a very simple anhyzer flick, and what I like about it is that if you miss, the disc comes in and lands basically flat like a parachute (you just have to be careful not to turn the anhyzer so over you hit on edge, because that s*&t will roll far away).

I like throwing standstill FH putter shots in the 40-80' range. Basically the range where a lot of people like jump/step putts. Standstill FH has a lot fewer moving parts and just makes more sense in my brain. Really they're not putts as much as half approaches; I'm typically trying to throw with enough juice to get through the target but not much more. My make percentage is not high, but I can at least take a swing at the basket and almost never wind up with a sizeable come-back putt.

From a technical standpoint, my technique for those throws is massively different from FH drives. The majority of my weight is on my right leg (same side as my throwing arm) and also I use more of a fanned grip. It's mechanically very similar to an Ultimate throw where I'm leaning out right to get around a defender.

Inside the circle, I've toyed with FH putting but it never clicked. For that range, add me to the list that thinks it's fundamentally easier to line up a BH that's directly in your line of sight to the basket.

Latest posts