• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quarry Run 2.0 Augusta, Maine

Highway Bill

Par Member
Originally built in 2004 by Fred McKinley, Quarry Run has enjoyed a major reconstruction over the last few months and we're set to flip it by Oct 1. All but 4 of the original holes are changing, some subtly, some drastically but it will certainly feel like a brand new course. We took a bit of length away in order to offer a more appropriate challenge for intermediate players, however the new long holes score high on the fun scale and the spirit of the original course remains intact.

My intent with the design was to better highlight the natural features of this amazing land while improving playability and introducing challenging greens and interesting hole locations. In addition, this new design will accomodate the ebb and flow of the brand new world-class gold Par 70 (Ghost Tree, under construction) and contrast well with its new, bigger brother. The result is an intermediate level (white) par 64 clocking in at around 5400'.

The course features a steep-faced granite quarry, crazy ledge outcroppings, stands of hardwood, and lush fields scattered with lollipop birches and popcorn pines. You'll also find beautiful old rock walls meandering through the layout and bordering the entire property. As a designer, the incredible variety of terrain here has undoubtedly spoiled me silly.

While the greens lend to the challege with a healthy balance of slope, some of the hole locations will really steal the show. Some are high, some are low and some we drilled and anchored directly into the granite. We're also unveiling a Stonehendge replica made from telephone poles surrounding and defending the green of hole 2.

Oh, and we're installing a 100'x25' driving range net adjacent to the pro shop with range tees at 75'. Getting pretty psyched, not gonna lie.

-Benjamin Dunlap
10DOWN Disc Golf

image.jpg digging the 4' holes before sinking the 30' telephone poles that will be used to support the driving range netting.

pretty awesome. I was on Vacation in Maine a few years ago and happened to stop by Quarry Run on a day trip we took from Owls Head to Augusta. I hope to stop back the next time we are up there

Quarry Run's original course was always a favorite of mine. Really looking forward to checking out the updates.

Down the road, we'll install a 2nd set of tees on this course. The idea is to eventually have reds and whites. As it stands now, most of the tees are white so when we build the 2nd set, most of the new boxes will be red. For now though, it will be considered a white par 64 layout. It can also be played as an advanced level (blue) par 56.

image.jpg Hole 1 tee box is nearly complete.

As of this week, the golf driving range has been removed and the new tees and sign posts have been installed. Only 2 more days until Quarry Run 2.0 is open and ready for play.

As of 3:00 pm yesterday afternoon, Quarry Run 2.0 is open for play. I was able to squeeze in a sunset round and I must admit, it was delightful. Come check us out if you're in the neighborhood.
Now we're able to get back to work on Ghost Tree DGC, and we rejoice.
image.jpg

awesome, thanks for the pics Bill!

can't wait to see ghost tree

image.jpg

Just finished the green of hole 2...our version of the Stonehendge ruins. We'll install permanent tee signs throughout the course next spring and a second set of tees down the road.

Also, the 9-hole putting course, practice area, and driving range will all be ready for play as next season gets underway. We're psyched. Come check us out soon!

Benjamin Dunlap
10DOWN Disc Golf

Latest posts