• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rit Symmetric Dye - first attempt

Shaver702

So I did my first dye on a pink Zeus. Wanted the pink plastic to be a good undertone for the rest of the dye. I did a clear glue base and waited 20 hours. Have to say it turned out pretty good IMO.
I used the dye straight out of bottle. Anyone have some tips using Rit symmetric dyes?

Attachments

• B2D02E44-B775-4A0D-B627-EFF91C8BFDEA.jpg
    B2D02E44-B775-4A0D-B627-EFF91C8BFDEA.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 73
First off, really nice work especially for a first attempt. My wife and I have burned through a gallon of clear glue in the last week and have 4 more gallons showing up today. If you haven't found them, Discountschoolsupply.com is a great place to get cheap glue.

As far as the RIT goes, I'm going to guess you meant synthetic/DyeMore (although you did get my to do a quick Google search to see if RIT had some new product I should get excited about). For me the DyeMore works OK for hot dips, but hasn't produced great results in the one experiment I did with it on glue. Idye Poly mixed in acetone and denatured alcohol was an improvement, but when I tried ProChem Prosperse dyes I really got the results I was looking for. They seem expensive, but you're getting 2 oz of each color for the money you spend which is a metric ton by the time you mix it up with acetone for dyeing.

Sorry you're correct Rit synthetic dye. It worked pretty well. Thank you for the clear gluten source. I'll check them out.
So I have been looking at prochem dye. How do you mix it? Once mixed does it store well? How much does 2oz make?

Latest posts