• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana is the real deal

milow369

Birdie Member
Wow, I am blown away by the new Star Katana. I went with the 175g and first throw off the shelf, I out-drove my longest drive at Pease Park #1 by 40 feet. Had a easy layup and gimmie putt for 3. I stepped off the distance and walked 130 steps, so almost 400, brand new - right down the middle with a slight anny that flexed back to the heart of the fairway.

I threw it 30 feet past my r-pro boss (162g) on that hole. I suppose as it breaks in the Katana will become flippy, hoping that I can flip it straight and let it fly or use it on long anny throws. I was amazed by the long flight, and fast speed. It was taking off at points where my other discs are normally starting to settle in and fade out.

Even my misses were huge. I threw it over the creek on #11. Took a too tight anny line and it ended up pin high with a legit putt for 2. (never had that happen before)

I am going to go to Play it Again Sports and pick up 3 more - just because I'm sure, like every other Innova disc, they'll come out with a new run that won't be the same and I'll have to pay 5X the price later down the line to get the disc in my bag. (see 1st run boss discussion) I am happy that it looks like I can replace the 1st run boss with this disc.

I've got a medium strong arm. I can throw a T-bird 325-350 or so. I can throw a 1st run boss/wraith a little further but usually have to put a little anny on it to get max distance (unless throwing into a headwind). This disc may be too understable for the huge arms and harsh headwinds and will take some practice before I am really confident that I won't flip it into the rough. With some practice, I think I could start breaking the 400ft. barrier regularly. I see that Innova offers these molds in the mid 160's. I think that might be too flippy but might be interesting on wide open holes.

I would say that this disc lives up to the hype. Any similar experiences with the Star Katana?

Max weight star Katana's are cool. I didn't like the 167g star katana or the pro katana, as I found them both overly flippy. The 175g star is money though as a new disc.

I got one of the 2010 U.S. Masters champ katana and I love it, but not as much as my XG boss, but they get used on different types of hole.

It's easily the longest disc in my bag now. I can throw it forehand around 425 on a pretty regular basis.

of course, I overthrew it and smashed into a set of concrete stairs on a course in indy, so now the one side is kind of scarred. :(
but I LOVE throwing that thing with the wind.

i haven't tried the star katana but i have a sweet 172g champ katana and ive thrown some bombs with that baby

it hasnt gotten warm enough for me to find a decently dry field to throw mine in just yet

It doesn't take as much room as I had thought at first either. I can get it to about 350 flat without turning it too much, beyond that it takes a higher anny line.

i live in the middle of a town the only place i have to throw a disc is the road and i imagine if it goes as far as everyone says i will need in the range of 450 or so for a good full flight

i live in the middle of a town the only place i have to throw a disc is the road and i imagine if it goes as far as everyone says i will need in the range of 450 or so for a good full flight

True enough, but make sure you have a landing zone 450' up and to the right.

It's the bee's knees!!!!

Seriously though, I'm curious to see how these will beat in. The idea of a super fast understable driver intrigues me, but I don't like the idea of having to buy a new disc in Star plastic every few weeks if it gets flippy.

I haven't thrown the champ yet, but it seems to fly more stable like the max star does. The only way to compare the flight of the pro katana I threw would be that it flew like a beat in DX Valk, flipped up, turned right and sailed off into the sunset on that line, which was about 45 degrees off target.

Wow, I am blown away by the new Star Katana. I went with the 175g and first throw off the shelf, I out-drove my longest drive at Pease Park #1 by 40 feet. Had a easy layup and gimmie putt for 3. I stepped off the distance and walked 130 steps, so almost 400, brand new - right down the middle with a slight anny that flexed back to the heart of the fairway.

I threw it 30 feet past my r-pro boss (162g) on that hole. I suppose as it breaks in the Katana will become flippy, hoping that I can flip it straight and let it fly or use it on long anny throws. I was amazed by the long flight, and fast speed. It was taking off at points where my other discs are normally starting to settle in and fade out.

Even my misses were huge. I threw it over the creek on #11. Took a too tight anny line and it ended up pin high with a legit putt for 2. (never had that happen before)

I am going to go to Play it Again Sports and pick up 3 more - just because I'm sure, like every other Innova disc, they'll come out with a new run that won't be the same and I'll have to pay 5X the price later down the line to get the disc in my bag. (see 1st run boss discussion) I am happy that it looks like I can replace the 1st run boss with this disc.

I've got a medium strong arm. I can throw a T-bird 325-350 or so. I can throw a 1st run boss/wraith a little further but usually have to put a little anny on it to get max distance (unless throwing into a headwind). This disc may be too understable for the huge arms and harsh headwinds and will take some practice before I am really confident that I won't flip it into the rough. With some practice, I think I could start breaking the 400ft. barrier regularly. I see that Innova offers these molds in the mid 160's. I think that might be too flippy but might be interesting on wide open holes.

I would say that this disc lives up to the hype. Any similar experiences with the Star Katana?

What, no stories of birdie'ing #16 with your new Katana? That's what I bought my Pro Katana for but ended up losing it before I got the chance on #12 at Circle C from the long tee. That thing flipped so incredibly hard it ended up somewhere deep in the void. I don't throw max weight drivers, but I could see this as being the exception to the rule.

my heavy champ katana is much more overstable than the star ive thrown. cant wait till it gets properly seasoned.:clap:

I haven't thrown the champ yet, but it seems to fly more stable like the max star does. The only way to compare the flight of the pro katana I threw would be that it flew like a beat in DX Valk, flipped up, turned right and sailed off into the sunset on that line, which was about 45 degrees off target.

Just FYI to everyone here a champ Katana flies nothing, i mean nothing like a Max. 175 Champ Max Weights the most stable but they still will dump in a head wind and are pretty flippy.

Yes. Awesome disc. I am using this along with some Nukes to see which wins out. The star Katana is LOOOOOONG. I have one in 167 and like it for a slight hyzer flip. My 172 is also going to be my new roller. Crazy long without too much side to side movement on the ground! the Pro Katana is sweet too. Slightly less stable. Greatt downwind. I just got a 165 and 170 Nukes that I will do comparisons with.

More or less stable than a Wraith?

Less stable. For reference, my 175g Star Katana is about as stable as my 168g Star Wraith. This particular Wraith is the only disc in my bag that has been able to begin to challenge it for distance this winter, and that's only just, and we're talking about a sweet, sweet Wraith.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but the Katana may turn out to be the best new mold Innova has made since the Roc. :clap:

Latest posts